Transit visa

Mashurs

Registered Users (C)
I am travelling to India in April by Air-India from Newark Newjersey via Paris(not changing the plane) to Bangalore. Can someone please tell me whether I need to take transit visa or not, I know if you fly via frankfurt or london you need to take the visa.

Yes, you need one if you are on AP

We recently travelled to India via Paris and we were required to get one from French Embassy in Atlanta (for our Region, NC). Ofcourse, they did not check the visa on either direction.

We have valid H1-H4 visas but not on the passport and also Adavance Parole. Do we still need to get the transit visa even if we do not have to get down from the plane via paris to India.

You don't need a transit visa unless you are going to leave the international zone. That's my thought. I am not from India, but I am from Eastern Europe and I never needed a transit visa when I was just changing planes. When I had an overnight in Paris, however, I had to get a transit visa to go out to the city.

There are two types of visas:
1. Airportside Transit Visa
2. Transit Visa

Visa in item #1 is needed for all the people who do not have a valid visa. People who are on AP should get item #1 inorder to travel via that country regardless of whether you get out of the plane. Even if you don't get off the plane YOU NEED AN AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA. Check with Embassy of France's Web Site.
I had the first-hand experience travelling via Paris 15 days ago. Don't take risk as there were lot of stories with bad experience.

SKumarD is right. If you don't have valid US visa stamped in you passport, no matter what other documents you have, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA. Same is true for UK(London) and Netherlands(Amsterdam) as well. Germay however has different rule. IF YOU DON'T HAVE GC VALID FOR 10 YEARS, THEN YOU HAVE TO HAVE AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA, IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR STATUS. I have clarified this from German Consulate in Atlanta. I myself am going to India via Frankfurt this summer.

Hope this helps.

SKumarD said:
There are two types of visas:
1. Airportside Transit Visa
2. Transit Visa

Visa in item #1 is needed for all the people who do not have a valid visa. People who are on AP should get item #1 inorder to travel via that country regardless of whether you get out of the plane. Even if you don't get off the plane YOU NEED AN AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA. Check with Embassy of France's Web Site.
I had the first-hand experience travelling via Paris 15 days ago. Don't take risk as there were lot of stories with bad experience.

That is interesting...
What if I don't have a visa (have, for example, AP) and go to my home country? Why do I need to have US visa to transfer through Paris? I am going home, not to US. And I have a passport allowing me to come back to my country.

In addition, I flew through Paris, London, Amsterdam many-many times. I always changed planes in those airports. I even had to stay overnight in the Amsterdam airport's hotel (within international zone) and NEVER was my visa checked by anyone.

The new visa restrictions apply only to those individuals who do not have a valid visa and are citizens of one of the countries listed by those countries (France etc.,) that are requiring Airside Transit Visa. If you have only an AP and belong to one of those countries listed then you NEED an airside Transit Visa. Even a minor (for that matter even an infant) should carry the Airside Transit Visa.

All these are new rules. I am thinking what will happen to the persons deported by US. Will European countries will give him transit visa?

Any reason behind why transit visa is introduced ?

Exactly 2 years back we had to get Transit visa for my wife when she travelled through Frankfurt as we did not have H1/H4 stamped on our visas.
However I took the Air India flight via Paris ( did not get out of the flight in Paris) and was not required to geta transit although did not have a valid H1 on my passport. I did not have advance parole either.
This is interesting if the airside transit visa is required even when not exiting the flight!!!!!

London has strnge rule: If travelling from USA \canada, if you have valid visa, if your journey date is more than 6 months from last entry date of USA Then You need Transit visa

Who, when checks transit visa? You get out of plane, goto Gate A, from there goto Gate B, Where is the check point? Or there are surprise check?

wannabe said:
Exactly 2 years back we had to get Transit visa for my wife when she travelled through Frankfurt as we did not have H1/H4 stamped on our visas.
However I took the Air India flight via Paris ( did not get out of the flight in Paris) and was not required to geta transit although did not have a valid H1 on my passport. I did not have advance parole either.
This is interesting if the airside transit visa is required even when not exiting the flight!!!!!

wannabe, How long you are kept in flight; Generally there is 1-2 hour gap.

We were in the flight for over 2 hours I remember. They fuel the plane and then load crappy food on it for the next leg of the journey. Some Indian resturant from Paris. I suggest taking some packed food. Also the

We were in the flight for over 2 hours I remember. They fuel the plane and then load crappy food on it for the next leg of the journey. Some Indian resturant from Paris. I suggest taking some packed food.

wannabe said:
We were in the flight for over 2 hours I remember. They fuel the plane and then load crappy food on it for the next leg of the journey. Some Indian resturant from Paris. I suggest taking some packed food. Also the
Wannabe, All passenger are forced stay inside? Or you stayed on your own? Do AIR INDIA force someone to take transit visa based on its visa validity?

As far as I remember we all were asked to stay only those who needed to getoff or had a connecting flight got off. So I guess in other words we were forced to stay

Small correction. I am not sure about other countries but Amsterdam is the only Country where you do not need any transit Visa. Even if you do not have US visa, it's okay to pass through Amsterdam..
My wife didn't have, so I had to go via AMS, as we didn't have that much time to get any other country's visa

Go to this site and enter your details to find out if you need a visa

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/visainquiry.asp

mhsoor said:
SKumarD is right. If you don't have valid US visa stamped in you passport, no matter what other documents you have, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA. Same is true for UK(London) and Netherlands(Amsterdam) as well. Germay however has different rule. IF YOU DON'T HAVE GC VALID FOR 10 YEARS, THEN YOU HAVE TO HAVE AIRSIDE TRANSIT VISA, IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR STATUS. I have clarified this from German Consulate in Atlanta. I myself am going to India via Frankfurt this summer.

Hope this helps.

http://www.netherlands-embassy.org/visainquiryresult.asp

result from here if you don't have valid visa while leaving USA.(Travel document: Other )

Visa Inquiry Result
March 11, 2003
Inquiry date: February 19, 2005
Citizen of: India
Status in US: unlisted status
Resident of: Ohio
Travel document: Other
Duration of stay: less than 24 hours
Purpose of stay: airport transit
First country: Netherlands
Second country: Other
Main destination: other

Based on the above mentioned information the following has been concluded:

Please contact the office below to inquire if an airport transit visa is required.

For more information:
Contact the assigned diplomatic or consular mission

Return to visa inquiry form:

Use the browser's back-button to return to the visa inquiry form and preserve the previous selections.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

labornc, Did you contacted Netherland embassy?