Transit visa for Paris. Urgent travel.

pxd

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am travelling to India tomorrow from Boston for a family emergency. I will be changing planes (same airport) in Paris.
I have a valid I-797 (H1 classification) but the visa stamp in my passport has expired. Do I need a transit visa? If I do need a transit visa, I am counting on being able to get one tomorrow. (The french consulate is closed today). I would appreciate if people could share their experience/advice.

Thanks.

Yes, you will need a Transit Visa. Normally, the Consulate are very considerate regarding Emergency Travel. I got mine the same day in Atlanta.

Just remember, you will need to get your H1-B Stamped in India, before you can re-enter the USA. I presume you have already planned on doing that.

i did't need the transit visa for chage of planes in paris when i went through airfrance in december , my stamp was expired and was traveling on AP.Going to india no one checked anything comming back they checked my AP so u need the H1 stamp from india while comming back. Check with ur airlines if it is required. though warn you air frace sucks in travel.

ghost-rider, i was in the same situation as you. Had AP with expired H1-B. I was not allowed to board the place in Atlanta, GA by Delta Airlines, so I missed my flight via Paris to Bombay, went to the French Consulate the next day, got the Transit Visa and flew the next evening. My problem was that the Delta Agent didnt know the rules, and unfortunately for me, there was only one counter open for Business class, so I could not go and try checking in at another counter and she had already put a note in my Booking that I needed a Transit Visa.

yes ginnu, that came up after several guys had the same problem and we all asked for a letter in writing, because the French Consulate told me that I didnt need a Transit Visa with AP, but the problem is that the Airline Agent did not allow me to board. They did not have a letter on that day, but they came up with the letter much later.

transit visa

what about travelling with Lufthansa , Frankfurt , Germany?
Do I need a transit visa if I have AP but expired H1 stamp.

Thanks
immi_tracker

rg585

Tough luck for u i guess , i did fly out of atlanta . lax-atlanta-paris-delhi - paris-lax
Guess u ran into someone stupid .

Re: transit visa

Originally posted by immi_tracker
what about travelling with Lufthansa , Frankfurt , Germany?
Do I need a transit visa if I have AP but expired H1 stamp.
------ you need transit Visa for Germany
Thanks
immi_tracker

I received my (emergency) AP today and will be travelling on that. I searched for other discussions regarding the requirement for transit visa for Paris when travelling on AP. A very confusing picture emerges. It appears that New York does not recognize the Atlanta memo???
What's the story in Boston? Does anyone have firsthand experience regarding travelling on AP from Boston and being able to successfully convince the airline agent that transit visa was not required (on the basis of that memo)? What about the other direction (New Delhi to Boston)?

Please help as I am close to loosing my sanity :-(....