transit Visa for France

GCSeeker76

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am in a Catch-22 situation here.
I came to the US on an f-1 which expired june 2002.
I am presently on an H-1B but the Visa is not stamped on my passport. I have the valid documents, though.
Now, I am transiting through France.
The french embassy says that i dont need a transit visa if I have a valid US visa stamped on my passport.
So this means I need a Transit Visa.
But they also say that I cannot get a transit Visa if I do not have a valid US visa.
What do you suggest that I do?

Options

1. Dont travel
2. Get H1 stamp from canada and then travel
3. use some other airlines/ route

Just found out that Germany also requires a transit visa if your US visa is expired, but you cant get a German transit visa from German consulates in the US unless you have a vaid US visa (or GC).

I dont know what to comment on this rule. They fail to realize that a person could have an unexpired US visa on the passport, but could be out of status. Maybe they need to be educated on this. For what its worth, I plan to email them to let them know about this. Hopefully they will then ask for an I-94 as proof of valid status (people with petition pending will still have problems). Maybe others encountering this problem should also inform the concerned consulates.

I explained to the German consulate in Boston that other INS documents (eg I-20, I797) determine the valid status of the person in the US, and not the US visa. They agreed under such circumstances one can get a transit visa to Germany.

Use another airline

Why go through France or Germany. Use a non EU country - how about KLM or British Airways or even Gulf Air/ Air India/Emirates or go via the pacific route.
Vote with ur wallet bud. Only way you are affected is if you go by Lufthansa, Air France or Delta.