Transit thru London

Drdoctor1

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am a regular of this thread, so could rely on you all. To the point:
-wife traveling to get H1B stamping in India, approved 797 (previous visa expired)
-flight going thru London, so reqiure transit visa
-British website says apply thru mail or agent and send original H1B approval notice (reluctant about that), mishaps always happen.
??? does any one know whether we can apply in person (Chicago), or is it OK to send the original I-797, they will send it back???
If any other thread that answers this question, let me know.
Thank you,

I have no experience with transit visas but I would never ever ever ever mail any original documents. Make a copy, maybe even a certified copy, but if they lose the original its extremely hard to have it replaced. A co-worker of mine lost his H1B approval notice and it took him almost a year to get it replaced. You have to file a I-824 and they seem to be the lowest processing priority.

You can apply in person at chicago,if you live in chicago embassy jursidication. You have to get appointment online prior to that. I dont think they accept photo copies.

Hi Drdoctor1,
I experienced this awhile ago - albeit unexpectedly. Here is what I did - made an online appnt (overnight will do) for Chicago - show up 'early' the next day at the embassy - 8ish is good. The embassy is in the Wrigley building on michigan ave (if you've been before to Chicago, its the building by the bridge with the flags - a block up from E. Wacker) - they take people as first come first serve. You hand in everything and leave for 3-4 hrs and you'll have the passport back in time for an evening flight even. Do check to ensure this still holds - my experience dates back to 2005.

Thank you all of you for your input.
Here is the new thing. Britain consulate does accept applications in person or by mail. You have to go thru designated agency. Apply online and then sent it thru one of these agents (who charge anywhere from $40 to $100 plus shipping). Have to mail in originals. It sucks, but what can you do with hippocrates.
So, that is what I did, and just hope for the best.