tranquility base here: pork chop is approved.

Pork Chop

Registered Users (C)
well, friends, this part of my journey is over. my wife's and my i485 cases were approved yesterday. i came to know about it this morning through emails sent out by the new "case status portfolio" service of the USCIS website. oddly enough, though, my 5-yr old son is still not approved, nor does his case status show any "internal processing update" (which is a feature of this new USCIS service) for over a year. as a matter of fact, i am typing this while on hold during what seems to be an interminable call to the USCIS customer service center to ask about my little sonny's case.

okay, the rest of this post is after i hung up after my conversation with the IIO... he said that, (paraphrasing) "NSC is currently processing employment-based cases from dec 1, 2001... yadda, yadda...." when i pointed out that my wife's and my cases had the exact same dates as that of my son's, yet ours were approved, he said, "each case is unique... blah, blah...." same old drivel.

anyway, i am quite certain it is only a matter of time before my son's case also comes through. meanwhile, my own feeling in reaction to my approval was that of - to best describe it - closure, rather than relief. which i suppose also implies that a denial should have led to the same reaction, but i would be less than candid if i did not admit that, on the whole, i like this outcome a whole lot better :) (note to orca and sankrit: my diction has been taking on a midwestern hue, and i can't hardly help it.)

which brings me to what i have been itching to say to all of you: thank you all for your help, support, counsel, wishes and kind thoughts. there were so many of you that i came know, almost as it were, personnally. if i name all of you individually, then that would be all i do today. instead, i will simply say, it has been a privilege for me.

i have also said many times before, and i'll say it yet again: this forum and all its participants have been more than a source of information, vital though that aspect of it has been for me: it has been a support group and sounding board for me, and countless others like me. for which i offer my gratitude to rajiv khanna for enabling this great community. two other resources that i found very helpful on this journey were the excellent websites www.immigration-law.com and rupnet.com, for which i would like to thank matthew oh and greaty-k, respectively.

while still in a candid vein, i will admit to some ennui resulting from this stultifying adjustment of status process that set in toward the end of last year and kept me from participating in these forums with as much enthusiasm as i used to a couple of years ago. when i did drop in every once in a great while over the past few months, it found that the bright new members of these forums were supremely adept at the task of learning and sharing information regarding the i485 process, and i did not want to add anything which was not altogether postive or helpful. even when i got rfe'd last month, i just thought i'd post my details all in one go. so here they are:

LC was regular (i.e., non-RIR), filed late march 2001, approved late aug 2001.
i140 filed sept 2001 (just before 9/11) in EB-3 category, approved late nov 2001.
i485 filed feb 2002, RD 2/14, ND 2/25.
FP1 may 2002
FP2 dec 2003
RFE sent out to me march 29, 2003, and receipt of my reply to it acknowledged by USCIS on april 8. RFE was for EVL for me, birth affidavit for my wife.
another case status update without any change in status showed up on april 13 on the case status portfolio website, then finally approval yesterday.

i will update rupnet right afer this post. i guess i will go ahead and post all of this before i think up of anything more to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Pork

You are one among the old timers and contributed a lot to this forum.

Pls keep visit this forum in future. I wish you and your family good luck.

Congratulations and best of luck. You’ve helped out numerous posters in the past, and it’s certainly about time that you were approved. Celebrate this weekend.

Best rgds,
sadiq

There goes one more..

No idea about backlog reduction but we defintely are into 'oldtimer' reduction. Congratulations and thank you for your efforts in helping out with questions.

I wonder which oldtimer will be the next to go...

Krishna, blinkingstar, skjun02, peace_of_mind, Jagabalia, sadiq, Rsur...

thank you for your kind wishes. what i shared with all the participants of these forums was only what i learned from all of them. i do intend to hang out here as much as i possibly can.

good luck to all of you, in all your future endeavors.

congratulations, pork chop! I was wondering how your case was going. I am glad it's finally over for you too. As you said, it is more of a closure than a relief. I've read every one of your posts here since the first time I singed in. I missed your presents here for the past few month. I learned a lot from you and as you said, this is a support group and you are certainly one of the power one in this group. Having said that, wish you and your family live happily ever after (yeah, like all the ferry tale that we loved to read when we were little ;-)

CONGRATS !!!! & Good Luck !!!

Congrats Pork....

With the threat of pilot programs and what not...it is a relief to note that they are chugging albeit slowly on the older cases...

Good luck ......

Do drop in once in a while.....

well, i just come back from (trying to) stamp my and my wife's passports, and what do i find? believe it or not, i got approved again. this is the first site i browse right after checking my mail, and honest, pork's approval seems like one more for me.

congrats doesn't mean much here, so i wouldn't insult you with one, but better be relieved than be bored; i have frankly been bored with life these past few months. but congrats anyway. :) seems like i've known you personally, and for longer than i can remember. it was a privilege to have known you, and i hope to regain my old-day ennui-free moods to chat about the meaning of life and green card again sometime.

best wishes for the best in your and your family's life!

(p.s.: btw, the passport stamping process was too long - after 2.00 hrs' wait, we just drove back after deciding to go back next week. hey, we could wait 2.00 years (Apr 19th 2002 - Apr 19th 2004) - why not an extra 2.00 days?)

p.p.s. in edit: thanks, pork, for the kind words - i just found your congrats on my thread. and i agree, it would be a waste to let go of our old kinship, and we should revive some of it, even for a casual chatting now and then.

i've also sometimes silently wondered about sankrityayan; however, i then felt that if he prefers to remain silent, he should be allowed to do so (although i'm positive he's out there perusing these messages in his leisure times. but who knows?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hearty Congratulations Pork. Good show. Very happy for you. Wish you all the very best in all your endeavours.

With warm regards and respects,
Sachdev

pork,

i prefer to congratulate you your happiness rather than your greencard. greencard is not gonna change our livese, it only brings them back to normal.

anyways, enjoy the happy moments. you have contributed significant information to this forum. and i have personally learnt a lot from you.

wish you luck in rest of your life.