Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

If I get my licence record from sec of state then will it be sufficient?

I don't have tickets or any document related to ticket.

You do need to mention any traffic tickets, remembering as much details as you can. (answer yes to the question whether you have been cited)

You do NOT need to provide documentary evidence for minor traffic violations. However, I always recommend people to take it if they happen to have it still or to take proof of a clear driving record. This not NECESSARY however.

Some people's posts, while well-intentioned, are outdated or simply incorrect. I do find the one attorney's answers in the link very INTERESTING ...puzzling in fact.

pianoplayer said:
You do need to mention any traffic tickets, remembering as much details as you can. (answer yes to the question whether you have been cited)
Bad advice.

$500 traffic violation rule

I read that some people are saying that if the traffic violation fine is less than $500 we don't need to show proof of payment.
Where is this documented? Is there some INS form that mentions this rule?

Note that unless a traffic incident was alcoholor drug related, you do not need to submitdocumentation for traffic fines and incidents that didnot involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was afine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense.

this is from the pdf which i am going to attach..plz go through these documents.uscis spends millions of dollars on such projects to educate people.
so plz go through these documents and then post ur queries....

no matter what anyone says for one last time for the heck of it..
declare ur tickets and go to ur court house and get confirmation from the courthouse that u took care of the tickets...better sae than sorry...

sorry file is too big...plz follow the links

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/n-400ins.pdf
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

hope this helps

I posted to this thread b/c I was stressed, but based on the comments, traffic tickets are apparently not a big deal. You should declare them (to the best of your ability) and bring whatever proof you have.

If your driving record is all you have, take that.

As the thread I linked to mentioned, apparently you can't be denied based on speeding tickets.

Shri,
if this boosts your confidence...There is not a single applicant who has been denied citizenship over petty traffic tickets(this does not include dui's)and per my experience,if a applicant with a dui pursues the case with right knowledge there is no way uscis can deny his/her application....

Last edited by a moderator:
Got ticket on the Train

Hi Guys,
I got a ticket 2-1/2 yrs ago for a failure to display a 50-cent ticket in a train. I plead guilty and paid a fine of 72 dollars. I don't have a record of paying the fine.
Question:
1. Should i inform USCIS of this citation in my N400 application or i should not inform them and just go to the interview with a disposition letter from the court.

2. Is this offense a citation as it states that its a quasi offense (i guess minor offense). Will this appear in my records during a name check by the FBI.

3. Is this offense a traffic offense?

Thank guys :D

I'd report it as a citation, give the date and say that you paid the fine. It's pretty much the same as a traffic ticket (which you should report as a citation as well).

I'd also phrase it something like "I lost my ticket so I pleaded guilty" rather than "I was trying to cheat by not paying the fare". Remember, the point of this is to try to prove "good moral character" or whatever the statute says.

Speeding ticket

Hello Gurus,

I have read a lot on this forum about the fact that we should declare traffic violations. I agree with this and am planning to do it.
Here is my question - please help:

I donot have any records of my speeding ticket. Infact the speeding ticket that I had gotten was in upstate NY. I live in NJ (about 9 hours away from there). Does anybody know how to handle these situations?
Does the court have all records and can I talk to them about sending this?

Not having the ticket now with me - how would the court find the records?

Thanks

Traffic ticket... what ticket?

If it wasn't a 'reckless' or DUI then I wouldn't bother with it. Frankly, bringing this up is just setting you up for more hassle. My suggestion is you forget it unless you are prepared to fully chase down the records.

sunesh369 said:
Hello Gurus,

I have read a lot on this forum about the fact that we should declare traffic violations. I agree with this and am planning to do it.

I donot have any records of my speeding ticket. Infact the speeding ticket that I had gotten was in upstate NY. I live in NJ (about 9 hours away from there). Does anybody know how to handle these situations?

Thanks

Th best thing to do is, request a driving history report from your state's DMV web site and please review it carefully and take your decision after that evaluation.
hope that help
sams68

sunesh369 said:
Hello Gurus,

Thanks

N-400 instructions state that you only need to list the ticket if there was also an arrest made. If the traffic ticket was $500 or more you need to list it. See N-400 instructions.

where to get old traffic ticket court record?

I got one speeding ticket and a moving violation ticket about 6-7 years ago
in east coast states. One of the ticket was received in Georgia while I was
visiting. However I didn't remember which county it was and
I couldn't find the check (or credit) payment info anymore (such a
long time). The only thing I have is the driving record which
shows ticket and batch # in GA.
Does anyone know there is a way to find out where and how get the court
record? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
old traffic ticket records

There are a variety of websites that offer this service. A check in google pointed to www.rmv.org
This is a commercial service which I found to be useful and convenient in my case.
Hope this helps.

vdostoi1 said:
N-400 instructions state that you only need to list the ticket if there was also an arrest made. If the traffic ticket was $500 or more you need to list it. See N-400 instructions.
I believe the instructions says there is no need to provide supporting documentation for fines less than $500, which is completely different from saying, there is no need to list them.