Tracker: Waiting for Derivative's I-485 Approval

how long does it take to get the second FP? My wife had her first FP in 07/2006. She will be away to india for 3 months is it possible to postpone fp for over 3 months?

The schedule for first FP was on 8/7/07 and done on time. The USCIS sent me 2nd FP scheduled on 10/18/07 because TSC didn't receive 1st FP from ASC. I requested on 10/15/07 rescheduling 2nd FP and received the 3rd FP notice on 12/22/07 and FP schedule on 1/7/08. You may specify FP date on your reschedule request.

Hi,
I am back again. I am really surprised by this comment. I fail to understand what taking seriously means. We have explored all the avenues suggested by members here, but nothing seems to work. Our lawyer is asking for a ridiculous amount to file a WOM, so thats out of question. What could we do other than waiting?
Since my last post here, we wrote to the ombuduson, but havent heard anything yet. In the meanwhile dates have retrogressed further. I read somewhere that if a visa number is already assigned to your case then you are not affected by this retrogression. So we called a couple of times to ask but did not get an answer. Any more suggestions?
anya4ever and srichalam, what is the secret behind waiting this long. Are you not taking it seriously? This way you will need to wait long time for citizenship even after your spouse gets Citizenship. Won't it hurt long terms plans.

Welcome back Anya. Hope everything else is going well with you guys and hope this thing will make progress this year.

If your PD is retrogressed, I think there is really no point filing a WOM because they don't have any duty to process your case in retrogression. But if it's current, you don't necessarily have to use an attorney to sue them. It would be pain in the arse and take a lot of time, but you could file it yourself. I remember there is a very detailed post about how to in this forum. You can search, but I'll post it if I can locate it.

Is the husband's security check cleared yet? Ombudsman takes a month or two before writing back to you. If his NC is still pending, though, all they say is they cannot do anything about it.

As for visa number assignment prior to retrogression, yes, that's my understanding. That was how all those approvals during the months of August/September occurred. I cannot come up with any good idea how to know if it is assigned yet or not other than keep calling. Or infopass. Still information you get may not be accurate. My spouse called and the rep said it was not assigned yet, and she got an approval email the same day. So go figure. Our senator got some information for us twice. Not sure if the information was right or not, but at least they attempted to help us.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

Hi,
I am back again. I am really surprised by this comment. I fail to understand what taking seriously means. We have explored all the avenues suggested by members here, but nothing seems to work. Our lawyer is asking for a ridiculous amount to file a WOM, so thats out of question. What could we do other than waiting?
Since my last post here, we wrote to the ombuduson, but havent heard anything yet. In the meanwhile dates have retrogressed further. I read somewhere that if a visa number is already assigned to your case then you are not affected by this retrogression. So we called a couple of times to ask but did not get an answer. Any more suggestions?

As of today I belong to this thread

Hi All,

Received the magic email[Card Production Ordered] for my 485, but not for my wife's.

-Still

Hi All,

Today morning both mine and my wife's 485 had an LUD with the following message on mine, but there was no change in message for my wife's 485:

Receipt Number: SRCXXXXXXXX

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

On January 12, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

-Still

Give it some more time

Hi Still, congratulations! Enjoy your freedom :)

It's just a few days now, so I think it's still possible your wife's case has been approved already but the online/email may not reflect that fact. Or her case may be approved soon. Hopefully we don't have to give you full-membership to this club.

Hi All,

Today morning both mine and my wife's 485 had an LUD with the following message on mine, but there was no change in message for my wife's 485:

Receipt Number: SRCXXXXXXXX

Application Type: I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

On January 12, 2008, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before you get your new card call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

-Still

Thanks geofu54. Any little bit of encouragement helps at this point.

Our senators office got standard replies saying that "due to a large volume of cases processing takes time...blah, blah blah" . No real info. Security check questions got different responses: Yes a couple of times, and not cleared once. So I am not sure. Infopass said not clear. Both infopass and telephone calls fail to answer the visa no. question.

So guess we'll just wait for the ombudasom and the PDs to become current . Like you someone else said that a WOM while PD is retrogressed doesnt really help...so I guess no use filing it right now.

Welcome back Anya. Hope everything else is going well with you guys and hope this thing will make progress this year.

If your PD is retrogressed, I think there is really no point filing a WOM because they don't have any duty to process your case in retrogression. But if it's current, you don't necessarily have to use an attorney to sue them. It would be pain in the arse and take a lot of time, but you could file it yourself. I remember there is a very detailed post about how to in this forum. You can search, but I'll post it if I can locate it.

Is the husband's security check cleared yet? Ombudsman takes a month or two before writing back to you. If his NC is still pending, though, all they say is they cannot do anything about it.

As for visa number assignment prior to retrogression, yes, that's my understanding. That was how all those approvals during the months of August/September occurred. I cannot come up with any good idea how to know if it is assigned yet or not other than keep calling. Or infopass. Still information you get may not be accurate. My spouse called and the rep said it was not assigned yet, and she got an approval email the same day. So go figure. Our senator got some information for us twice. Not sure if the information was right or not, but at least they attempted to help us.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

The latest from my side

Hi All,

Got another LUD on both our 485s today, with no message change in either.
Mine happend first and then saw the same on my wife's.

Called up TSC using POJ to enquire about my wife's 485 status: Said that the USCIS's background check is pending, though the FBI NC is clear.

-Still

Poj?

Hi All,

Got another LUD on both our 485s today, with no message change in either.
Mine happend first and then saw the same on my wife's.

Called up TSC using POJ to enquire about my wife's 485 status: Said that the USCIS's background check is pending, though the FBI NC is clear.

-Still

what is POJ?
Another thing, only you know your old status and it is easy for you to compare with your latest info. If you can create a signature, it will be easy for others too to compare your old status with new changes.
Regards,

If visa number is not available, nothing can be done. But everything else is workable with USCIS including namecheck(70% of times). Take infopass frequently probably 6 times a year and enquire about your case. Write to Obdusman. write to FL and write to USCIS director explaining your hardships of travel and other things without GC. Of you both being not able to work in the same town because of your visa stattus.
Hi,

Know DOL,
We did write to the FL and got a letter saying that the case was referred to DHS. A month later we got the standard delay in processing reply from DHS. We wrote to the chief of FBI and USCIS about 2 months ago (maybe more: I've lost track of time here), but no response. And as I said, we are waiting for ombudman's reply to the letter sent in mid-dec.
We havent taken infopass as frequently as you say, actually we've only gone once in the last 3 yrs. Guess we could go again and see if that helps. Is infopass the only way to find out about visa # allocation? I am assuming that the A# on the EAD card is not the visa #....

If visa number is not available, nothing can be done. But everything else is workable with USCIS including namecheck(70% of times). Take infopass frequently probably 6 times a year and enquire about your case. Write to Obdusman. write to FL and write to USCIS director explaining your hardships of travel and other things without GC. Of you both being not able to work in the same town because of your visa stattus.

Know DOL,
We did write to the FL and got a letter saying that the case was referred to DHS. A month later we got the standard delay in processing reply from DHS. We wrote to the chief of FBI and USCIS about 2 months ago (maybe more: I've lost track of time here), but no response. And as I said, we are waiting for ombudman's reply to the letter sent in mid-dec.
We havent taken infopass as frequently as you say, actually we've only gone once in the last 3 yrs. Guess we could go again and see if that helps. Is infopass the only way to find out about visa # allocation? I am assuming that the A# on the EAD card is not the visa #....

know DOL - not to mention the $700 odd we have to pay each year to renew the EAD and AP docs.

Anya,
Infopass is not a reliable way to find out if you have been assigned a visa number. I speak from experience. We went in July 07 to find out if my wife has been assigned a visa #, and were told that no one knows that information except the Immigration officer that handles your case.
You can try your luck, but really this is becoming a nightmare. My wife is still stuck despite getting an RFE in late november. USCIS recieved the RFE on November 10th 07, but did not enter it into their system until Nov 29th 07. Can you believe that ? And then of course retrogression set in on Dec 1st 07. I've begun to think that things will move only after I get my citizenship.

no_idEAS

I feel thats true in our case too... plus the time it takes to pursue these matters is affecting our jobs. Lets see

know DOL - not to mention the $700 odd we have to pay each year to renew the EAD and AP docs.

Anya,
Infopass is not a reliable way to find out if you have been assigned a visa number. I speak from experience. We went in July 07 to find out if my wife has been assigned a visa #, and were told that no one knows that information except the Immigration officer that handles your case.
You can try your luck, but really this is becoming a nightmare. My wife is still stuck despite getting an RFE in late november. USCIS recieved the RFE on November 10th 07, but did not enter it into their system until Nov 29th 07. Can you believe that ? And then of course retrogression set in on Dec 1st 07. I've begun to think that things will move only after I get my citizenship.

no_idEAS

what is POJ?
Another thing, only you know your old status and it is easy for you to compare with your latest info. If you can create a signature, it will be easy for others too to compare your old status with new changes.
Regards,

POJ is the Prince of Jungle technique to connect to TSC.

Sorry I ommited the signature.

Warm regards,
-Still

I think wrong forum

POJ is the Prince of Jungle technique to connect to TSC.

Sorry I ommited the signature.

Warm regards,
-Still

Neither your nor your spouse's -485 is approved. I think, you are in the wrong thread. This thread is primarily for where primary applicant's i-485 is approved and waiting for dependent applications.

Even though if someone tells now, that the visa number is allocated, it is hard to believe. Only during June July timeframe when USCIS allocated 60,000 visas in 30 days to all pending applicants, the IO's shared the info with applicants and they no longer do it. We may have to wait until the last quarter of fiscal year 2008 which is Jul-Sep 2008, during which time, retrogressed countries may get some numbers from unsed country quota.

I am telling you about the infopass appointment, because, this ensures that we make them responsible for the delay. USCIS should adjudicate within 60days after RFE is received if visa number is available and name check is clear. We have every right to question them about the delay and they have to enquire and get back. Sometimes, cases are in the system but not picked by any officer because they do get picked up by processing logic. Could be technical reasons. This will make sure that Infopass officer inquire USCIS about the delay and you get 60 day window in which they may pick your case or will let you know the reason for the delay atleast.

Know DOL,

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the technical issues here, but it gets frustrating when you go and the IO spends 5 secs. telling you that he does not have further info. It was the same with SR. Based on some threads that I read, I understood that SR serve the same purpose of making USCIS accountable for delays. However, despite being told that SR have a 30 day time limit, we never got any answers. We've opened at least 3 SR since last Aug. Everytime we called to enquire about the status of our SR, the officer started another SR on top of the previous one. I know I am being overtly pessimistic, but I feel that nothing can make these guys move if they dont want to. Very similar to the red tape we experience in federal offices in my country!

Even though if someone tells now, that the visa number is allocated, it is hard to believe. Only during June July timeframe when USCIS allocated 60,000 visas in 30 days to all pending applicants, the IO's shared the info with applicants and they no longer do it. We may have to wait until the last quarter of fiscal year 2008 which is Jul-Sep 2008, during which time, retrogressed countries may get some numbers from unsed country quota.

I am telling you about the infopass appointment, because, this ensures that we make them responsible for the delay. USCIS should adjudicate within 60days after RFE is received if visa number is available and name check is clear. We have every right to question them about the delay and they have to enquire and get back. Sometimes, cases are in the system but not picked by any officer because they do get picked up by processing logic. Could be technical reasons. This will make sure that Infopass officer inquire USCIS about the delay and you get 60 day window in which they may pick your case or will let you know the reason for the delay atleast.

Neither your nor your spouse's -485 is approved. I think, you are in the wrong thread. This thread is primarily for where primary applicant's i-485 is approved and waiting for dependent applications.

Hi Sarwarmd,

Hope u r wrong. Because I recieved the "Card Production Ordered" email, followed by the "Welcome Notice Sent" email and yesterday I received the "Approval Notice Sent" email.

All->Had an LUD on both our 485s with no message change in either.

-Still

Spouse Approved

Just Got back from vacation.
Wife's I485 got approved on December 17, 2007

Primary
EB2/RIR PD October 2002
LC approved: August 2006
I140/I485 concurrent RD : 11/21/2006 (TSC)
I140 Approved: July 2007
I485 Approved : August 2007

Derivative:
I485 RD : 11/21/2006 (TSC)
RFE Medical: 09/17/2007
RFE Response Receipt Date: 09/27/2007
I485 Approved e-mail: December 17, 2007
Card received December 27, 2007