TRACKER: Fairfax/VA/DC - Alexandria Court Oath ceremony - pending Oath letter

Definitely Cowface.

So far I have received a letter from USCIS explaining when I should be there, What should I bring. I haven't gone through the complete list yet.

I really appreciate JIM WEBB the senator since the person who assigned to my case called me yesterday and confirmed that I did receive the oath letter. This is amazing. He even claimed they expedite my case. Folks this is the first time a senator in my life really helped me.

Maria no harm in try contacting the senator no matter what your case is..

Leo

Oath Completed on May 20th - thursday.
Letter asked me to report by 8.00 am - with the traffic being a B, me and wife reached there at 9.10 AM.
Parking is a couple of blocks from the 401 Courthouse address.
They DO NOT allow cell phones and cameras into the building. Lucky that wife came along - gave everything to her asking her to go back to the car, dump them and come back.
Inside it was smooth - they took my GC and the oath letter. They asked if there were any traffic tickets since the interview and before the Oath - I said NO. she gave my numbering and asked me to go sit in the chair. Behind me was a "Desi Girl" - from what she said she interviewed like before October 2009. She got a traffic ticket and DID not bring the proof - they refused to entertain - she went out, and maybe called some one to get the proof of payment and returned back at 9.45 and they took her in. So if you have a traffic ticket after interview, GET the proof of payment to the Court.

At 10.00 the District Attorney gave description of whats going to happen. At about 10.15 the Judge and his entourage came in - with their hammers, Oye Oye and the works.
The DA read thru all the names, we stand up and state the name of the country.
Judge approved the motions of name change officially.
After that was complete for the 70 odd users, there was a 40 minute discourse by the Judge on why US is great. Then reps from Daughters of American Rev addressed us and sang some poems i think (you can gauge my state by then).
Then some other justice dept folks gave another small discourse - and then the Judge came down and met all the participants who changed their names.
Then they called us one by one to hand over the Nat Cert, and 2 certified copies of name change sealed by court.
DAR folks gave us flag and stuff.
I rushed to eat, then to SSA office and DMV office. By EOD i finished both - and on friday I submitted by passport application.

So guys - that marks the end of my immigration journey!!!

Congratulations Rox

So I guess from both Rox's and ljames' cases, a letter to Jim Web definitely a way to go. I'll wait til the end of June ( my 90 days mark) to get on with the trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
ljames,

Did your case status changed after you have received the Oath letter?
Please let me know if you can. We all are happy for you.
Like i said before my interview was on 02/25/2010 i got my fingers crossed hope for the best...

Wave

What mailing address to use for Senetor Web....................

Linuxrox and ljames ,what address did you use to write to senator Web? Did you use his DC office address? i am about to write to him on my case but i want to make sure on which of his address to use?

Well i sent it to his Washington DC office, so i hope he(or his staffs) gets it. it has been more than 193days and i need his help

Wave

My status still says "Testing and Interview". I just checked after reading your post. Why wait till 90 days. My 90 days completed by May 24th. By then I received my oath letter after escalating to senator.

ljames,

Did your case status changed after you have received the Oath letter?
Please let me know if you can. We all are happy for you.
Like i said before my interview was on 02/25/2010 i got my fingers crossed hope for the best...

Wave

How come no one in our group bother to say something here? I had to go search to locate this.

BTW tomorrow is my oath date?

All I need is the GC and invitation sent by USCIS and all the necessary papers during interview process.

Hell ljames..... Good luck to your oath ceremony tomorrow.

Is this a common pattern in DC metro area to go through congressman if you change name in N-400 process?

How come no one in our group bother to say something here? I had to go search to locate this.

All I need is the GC and invitation sent by USCIS and all the necessary papers during interview process.

What to say?? Still waiting for 90 days to be up, then I can start writing a letter.

Let me know your experience at the courthouse and Congratulations.

@IPL-fan I hope I don't have to write the letter but the process is absolutely slow. There were some people that didn't need to write the letter but it took 5 months. Certainly,the letter can speed up the process.

Well.......*** drum roll*****

My oath letter has arrived yesterday. July 15th is my date.

Turn out I don't need to write a letter to the senator at all.

All I need to bring is the letter N-445 and my GC. YIPPEEEE

Congratulation Cowface. :) finally you got to change your name. I am so happy for you.

Well.......*** drum roll*****

My oath letter has arrived yesterday. July 15th is my date.

Turn out I don't need to write a letter to the senator at all.

All I need to bring is the letter N-445 and my GC. YIPPEEEE

Hello Everyone:

Yes finally I got my citizenship journey completed. I went to Alexandria court house last Thursday and took the oath. Here is my experience.

There are 69 people at the house. Everyone need to submit the invitation and Green Card. It may claim be there at sharp 8:00AM but imagine they have to handle 70 applicants. So don't waste your time by getting there by 7:30 thinking you are ahead of time. I left home by 8:30. I do live near by though.

Traffic is really bad. Don't even think of taking 495 it was packed. 395 was not bad. I reached at 9:15. Lucky enough to locate a parking just opp to court house. Two hours parking $2:50.

Enter the Court house. Cleared security check. No cell phone no Camera remember that. go to 8th floor.

I waited in the line for 10 min. Submit my invitation and GC. I was in my seat within next 5 min.

The waiting game goes all the way to 10:15 almost before the judge arrive. Last person entered with application was 9:55. So if you are late don't worry.

Judge came 10:15. The asst.District attorney read each and every individuals name. All you have to do is just stand up when your name is called. Judge gave long nice speech. He explained what is in the oath. Finally all of us took the oath by reading it. The judge did hand shack with everyone individually and other folks handover your citizenship proof and name change court document. That is it. You can leave after collecting your paper work

Overall it has been very nice experience. You got fill the voter registration paper work but don't sign. You can do this after the oath.

I was out by 11:40, 10 min after my meter ran out. Luckily no ticket.

So folks it has been a pleasure here in this thread to share and know what is happening.

One more thing dress well. It shows the respect what you have achieved. Don't go in jeans and tshirt.

All the best my fellow members.

Congratulation Cowface. :) finally you got to change your name. I am so happy for you.

Thank you. and Congratulations on the end of the journey. Mine will be soon. :)

Before you leave the forum and jump to "life after citizenship", did you sign the certificate with your new signature? Did you go to SS office after like Rox?

Maybe I should search on the topic. just lazy, it's too hot outside. :)

Actually cowface I retain my real name after citizenship. I sign exactly as before. My old name and new name is slightly different. Yes I did sign the certificate.

This is what I did same day as Rox but it is not necessary I guess.

First went to DMV and applied for new license. It is $10.00 fee. She advised me I should have gone to SSN first but anyway it went throw. You get a temporary license in paper and you existing will be punched as VOID. They will mail you the new one.

SSN just go and show both certificate and court order. They will also mail you the new one. He told me we have to wait 10 days before apply there. So it is upto you what you want to do.

I haven't applied for passport yet. Will be applying next week. Not in a hurry though.

Congratulation again Cowface.

BTW: There was a pakistani gril next to me told me she also interviewed in March as you but she was with me to take the oath. She said all went so fast for her. I said "Lucky you"

Congrants to everybody that got the oath letters, I just completed my 120 days and still waiting hopefully my journey will end soon too.

Wave

Has any of you got any response from USCIS recently? i got a call from a staff from Senator Webb office (Local office). she said USCIS informed her that they are still working on mine and nothing they can do now. but if i did not hear back from USCIS in 60 days i should call back. Well i hope i hear from USCIS before the 60 days time frame
i also look forward to the end of my journey on this. All i can do now is Pray..........................