Tourist Visa-entry after marriage abroad

rek4385

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I come here looking for some insight. Ill shorten the story/question....

I am a U.S citizen to marry a foreign national in June. We will marry and will stay in her country for a year. We will have my parents file the papers for immigration directly after they return home from our wedding. My fiance' (the foreign national) has a 10 year tourist visa. My question......Could she enter the U.S for 3 weeks(with her 10 year tourist visa) for a celebration there and then RETURN to her country while the other papers our processing?

I feel like its going to be a gamble....i dont see why it would be a problem. she is exercising her tourist visa and we will return.

Thanks everybody....stay low stress!

If she has a valid visa then she can surely seek entry into the US for a 3 week holiday. However since she will have an I-130 in the "system", that may result in her being questioned about her intentions. I would advise you to enter with her. If you have proof of residence (long term visa) in her country, then that may help convince officers at the POE that both of you will be leaving the US after three weeks. Both of you can fill in a single customs form and put down the foreign address as your residence address.

thank you for your response!!!! This makes sense and this is what i thought. I wont have long term residence at the time (for her country) so we wont be able to use her address in her country. Ive stopped stressing about the I-130 stuff...and not I think for this issue! I feel like it is a dice roll whether they will be allow her in or not!. Honestly though we will only stay 3 weeks!!!!

Anybody else have an opinion?

You don't have an address in her home country or you do not have a long term visa/permit to stay in her country? At the most tourists are given 3 or 6 month entries. How can you stay in her country for a year without a visa/permit? Are you a citizen (in addition to being a US citizen) of her country?

Yes you are right...I will only be allowed to stay in her country for 3months with U.S passport BUT as soon after we get married (long story short) I will apply for papers that allow me to reside in her country for an indefinite time because I am married to her. Does this make sense? I am only a U.S citizen.

On a side note, this brings me to another question if you care to answer...you have been very helpful. Do I need to contact the U.S about this matter? The fact that I am gaining this citizenship. Im not sure exactly what my status will be (I will have some sort of "partial citizenship" in her country). Obviously you can see I am slowly educating myself about these matters so forgive me if there are holes in my questions and answers.

Good day!

Your fiancee's country wouldn't happen to be Italy by any chance?

Regardless of that, as soon as you "settle" in that country, you need to register with the local US consulate for your own benefit. I assume you will gain permanent residency in her country. I am not too sure what you mean by "partial citizenship". Even if you get full citizenship (Italy grants that to spouses of Italians after 6 months of residency), as long as you intend to keep your US citizenship, you will not lose it, even after taking up another citizenship.

Haha you are very close. It is Greece! What made you guess Italy????? Hmmm ok this makes sense. ill look into this. I thank you ! I may be in touch with you for other questions in you dont mind! good day....