Tourist Visa denied for Parents

Sheree

Hello,

Can any one please help me. I came to USA in 2011 on F 1 Student Visa. In early 2017, I applied Tourist Visa for my parents.(I got married in 2015 and husband also had F1 Student Visa at that time) . It was denied based on ' not having enough ties'. Then I reapplied for them again with in a month thinking the possibility of misunderstanding in communication, I asked them to get a translator but it got denied again under the same problem.

I am the only child and unfortunately my parents don't have government jobs. They are teachers. They both worked for private sector schools in the past and now only do teachings at their home conducting small classes. They don't have retirement salaries( pension). But they have a land and a home to their names and live comfortably as middle class citizens. After I came here, they rented part of their home to students. That income is enough for them to live comfortably there, unfortunately it's not some can prove as a salary. My mom is a social worker in the area and work voluntarily to enhance student's life in the area.

For the interview, we included a cover letter explaining sponsoring for the trip including tickets/food and place to stay( our apartment) and even filed affidavit of support for them. But in the interview, they were only asked to show their documents and officer didnt want to check ours. Then officer didn't want to check their properties, but asked for savings. My parents had 10k in US dollars in their banks.

My parents never had any police case or any issue. They are in their 60's now. They did everything for me and I really want to bring them here to show US. They never traveled out side of their country. I am planing to apply again.

Only difference from early 2017 to now, my husband and I are permanent residents in US. My husband is a faculty member. I am still a student and we have a small baby.

Please help me, what should I do. I always maintained my status and paid taxes here. I cant change the fact , I am the only child. What should I do. Can I get any help from congressman??Any help is appreciated. Please suggest me.

Thank you so much.!!

Were your parents refused under 214b? Unfortunately this is a fairly common refusal for parents of LPRs or even
USCs who cannot show sufficient ties to their home country. All the other stuff is extraneous, this is the crux of the matter. Having a property is not really a tie, many LPRs in the US still own property in their home country. Unfortunately the informality of their working situation does count against them. Unless something crucial has changed in their situation (not yours, it’s their situation that matters) it’s unlikely that the decision will be different. They can try of course but you should be realistic about the likely outcome.

There’s nothing your congress person can do with regards to your parents qualifying for a NIV, this is something they will have to qualify for on their own. Now that you’re a LPR, it means it should be easier for you (and your family if desired) to actually visit your parents in your home country. I noticed you stated you’re their only child, so I’m assuming the plan isn’t for them to enter on a NIV and stay put right?

Playing a numbers game (applying once, twice within a month.. and now a third try) hoping they get lucky will not increase their chances. You didn't specify the reason they were given for their denial, usually a 214b, which means a lack of ties to home. Been denied twice, the third time will not be a charm if nothing about their circumstance has changed. A baby, a new LPR status, a lack of siblings at home are all things that usually work against parent's tourist visa chances.

To add, you didn't apply for their visa, your parents did. You may have helped filled out their online ds160, but they were the applicants. Also, a tourist visa is not sponsored. That's a common myth.

Based on what you described. Your parents definitely got denied based on lack of ties.
From your Desperation. “Of wanting to Write a congressman”
It seems as though they didnt have any intentions of leaving once they entered the US.
Your case isnt unique And its easier for you to visit them seeing that you are an only child.

If they had Jobs that couldve helped “reason to go back home” but unfortunately they dont. Applying a third time.”with the same set of circumstances” I can promise you. You”re just wasting money. Wait atleast a year or 2.

I remember my grandparents went in some years back for a visitors visa. They had a significant amount of savings and properties. “Still got denied”
Point of telling you that is....that doesnt play as big a factor as some people might think. Especially if the CO thinks you might over stay!!

Thank you for your responses.

I indeed mentioned, the reason was not having 'enough ties' in my post. I don't know the code for that. Also, they applied in early 2017, nearly one and half years ago.

But I am deeply disappointed about the fact some of you assumed I want to bring them here to put them here. I come from a teacher's family and we never break any law nor have the intention to do that. Currently my husband and I also are in academia . We want to settle here, because we love US and it's the perfect match for our research areas.

I understand there are lot of issues currently and some people want to do illegal things. But every one is not like that, so please don't assume every one is like that.

I am not desperate, but as the only child I would love to show them here. They are not poor or doesn't depend on me. Ofcourse if I want to a be a citizen one day and if I want to bring them permanently, I will bring them through law. I simply wanted to show them here , because most of my friend's parents are here based on tourist VISA for 3 months per year.

of course I will visit them. Now my AOS is complete, I plan to visit them on every summer break I get. Since this forum was wonderful and helped me to succeed, I was thinking I need to ask for some help in this problem too. I have seen people seeking congressman's help in other threads, so I was thinking there may be an option to meet him even in this case and there may be a way to get recommendation from him, considering the fact my husband now is a professor in a leading university. That's the only reason I asked that question.

Again, I applied twice with in one month in early 2017, for their Visa( yes they applied, I filled DS 160) , not because I am desperate, it's simply because my husband's parents were sick and not fit to travel, so I wanted to bring my parents for my husband's graduation .

Thank you for your help and time.

Last edited:
Were your parents refused under 214b? Unfortunately this is a fairly common refusal for parents of LPRs or even
USCs who cannot show sufficient ties to their home country. All the other stuff is extraneous, this is the crux of the matter. Having a property is not really a tie, many LPRs in the US still own property in their home country. Unfortunately the informality of their working situation does count against them. Unless something crucial has changed in their situation (not yours, it’s their situation that matters) it’s unlikely that the decision will be different. They can try of course but you should be realistic about the likely outcome.

Thank you so much. yes, I remember the reason as ' not having enough ties'. That's what I mentioned. Now I did a small google search and I found the code. You are right about the code. That is unfortunate. But Thank you for your time.

My mother, aunt and Uncle all US citizens were back in our home country . They had set up another appoitment for my Grandparents.

Dont know where you”re from , but i came from a poor “third world” country in South America.

They were allowed to go into the embassy being that they were all US citizens!! To accompany my grandparents who are pretty old and explained that they didnt want to petition for them to live here. They just needed to visit the US every couple years or so. As in almost the entire family lives in the US. “The same reason they got denied in the first place” Not enough ties to home country considering all other family members live in the US.

Sometimes its just how you explain yourself, “yes/no” answers arent always good. Hope this helps.

My mother, aunt and Uncle all US citizens were back in our home country . They had set up another appoitment for my Grandparents.

Dont know where you”re from , but i came from a poor “third world” country in South America.

They were allowed to go into the embassy being that they were all US citizens!! To accompany my grandparents who are pretty old and explained that they didnt want to petition for them to live here. They just needed to visit the US every couple years or so. As in almost the entire family lives in the US. “The same reason they got denied in the first place” Not enough ties to home country considering all other family members live in the US.

Sometimes its just how you explain yourself, “yes/no” answers arent always good. Hope this helps.

Hm, didn’t you say on another thread that your mom overstayed for 10 years or something like that?

Something important to note.. you cannot consider your friend's parents scenarios to yours. Some get visas, others don't. Just because other parents got visas by no means yours should to. Not being harsh, but that's just the reality. Your parents completed the ds160 and the interview, based on which the CO made his/her decision.

And to add what others have posted here.. US congressmen do not have influence over tourist visas. Tourist visas are for foreign nationals, whom a US congressman does not represent. Congressmen serve anyone in their constituency.. not just university professors, but any US person, irrespective of their profession. They do not provide tourist visa recommendations.

@Jbuff,

Thank you for taking time to respond and help me. But simply because people who were closer to you overstayed/violated rules, not every one going to do that or needs to do that. So please don't judge others intentions. Thank you for explaining your grand parent's situation.

@IAurCitizen

Thank you taking your time. I was explaining my intention to bring them here, because my friend's parents enjoy that privilege. I am fully aware of the reality. When we see a job, if we feel we have qualifications, we do apply, but only one gets the job. So as Visa. That's why each and every one have Visa interviews. I am fully aware of that reality.
Then I mentioned, I have seen people taking help from congressman in other threads in this forum. I am fully aware all members here are not university professors. I don't know why you imagined, I think they only help uni professors. I used the word 'recommendation', because compared to our previous ' student' status, now we are settled and doing a permanent job. So I only wanted to check if they provide recommendations.

My friend recently wanted to do her father's hip operation here and she met congressman and he helped her . It's a different scenario and I don't know details, so I simply asked an question.

Again thank you every one for taking time and responded me. Though many replies are very judgmental and superior, I know you took time to explain details to help me.
Thank you again. Good day!!

Last edited:
Again thank you every one for taking time and responded me. Though many replies are very judgmental and superior, I know you took time to explain details to help me.
Thank you again. Good day!!
I'm seeing this more and more by new members on many forums of late.

OP, a majority of members provide honest and factual visa-related advice, speaking from years of experience. The advice is usually direct, clear-eyed, and without much sugarcoating. I don't see anything judgmental or superior about what @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom @Jbuff posted in response to questions.

I clearly said 'many replies' in my post. That clearly means, 'NOT all replies'.

I am grateful for the service you guys do here. Since it's an open forum, that was my opinion about some of the replies here. I fully stand by it. Great you didn't feel that way, but that's your opinion. Thank you.

I'm seeing this more and more by new members on many forums of late.

OP, a majority of members provide honest and factual visa-related advice, speaking from years of experience. The advice is usually direct, clear-eyed, and without much sugarcoating. I don't see anything judgmental or superior about what @SusieQQQ @Sm1smom @Jbuff posted in response to questions.

Yeah, OP is entitled to her opinion. My response and those others she considers judgmental clearly are not in alignment with what she was hoping for. Considering the interaction I’ve had with her on another thread, and the guidance she received specifically from me on her way to becoming a LPR, I think it’s a shame she now considers my response one of those judgmental ones. Like I said before, she’s clearly entitled to her opinion. And I honestly made up my mind following her initial claim that I wasn’t going to respond to this thread anymore (which I clearly haven’t done going by this now). Oh well, such is life.

@mom, I dont know why you think that way. I clearly mentioned the word 'many' here. If you feel that way, I apologize for you, you have been a great help for me in another thread.

Members or atleast me, dont want to be called desperate by any one , that too by a random people on net. But still its an opinion of that person.

I should stop now, before its getting personal. Have a great day, and again thank for your service and help. Such is life indeed.

This isnt social media.

You came for advice. And as far as im concerned you got advice that wouldve cost you a pretty penny if you had to pay for it.

We”re all adults here, dont take things so personal.

Anyways i do hope your parents do get visas eventually!!