Tourist visa (B1\B2) to Student Visa (F1) inland status changed

Tanveer_kapoor

Hello,

I have enter USA on tourist visa (B1\B2) in 2014 (Valid till 2024) and did status change to student visa (F1) got approved (No stamp on passport) inland I was in USA till 2018 on Student visa (F1). Then I moved to Canada (in 2018) got married to Canadian citizen. Currently having Indian citizenship and Canadian PR.

The question is these November 2022 my wife's cousin getting married in USA and they have invited us for wedding can I still re enter USA on tourist visa (B1\B2 as its valid till 2024) or I need to re apply for new tourist visa because of change of status inland to student (F1) and not having stamp on passport before leaving USA?

If yes tourist visa (B1\B2) stamped on passport still valid, Speaking practically will the immigration officer will let me enter the USA or not as I previously enter USA on same status (B2) and change of mind to student (F1) he/she can deport me and bard me from re entering? (I will have my wife (Canadian citizen) traveling with me and will have return ticket for both of us)

Thank you.

If your B1/B2 visa is unexpired, you can use it to enter the US. What status you had on a previous stay is not relevant to the current entry.

You could bring the previous Change of Status approval with F1 I-94 with you, just in case they don't have the F1 I-94 in the system and have questions about whether you overstayed on your previous stay. Most likely you will not need to show it to them.

Any tips on re entering US on tourist visa? Should I travel throw road or fly (which make easy immigration)? Driving by road with my wife and in laws (all Canadian citizen excluding me) or just fly with my wife and me? Wedding destination is Houston Texas.

(i94 shows Admit until 03-31-2015) (i797C I-539 received 03-19-2015) (I-797A Receipt date 03-23-2015 Notice date 12-042015Valid from 12-12-2015) (Will my duration will consider as overstayed? till I got my F1 Approval)

(i94 shows Admit until 03-31-2015) (i797C I-539 received 03-19-2015) (I-797A Receipt date 03-23-2015 Notice date 12-042015Valid from 12-12-2015) (Will my duration will consider as overstayed? till I got my F1 Approval)
F1 I-94 will say D/S which means it has no end date. You can bring your I-20s to show that you maintained F1 status the entire time.

Anyway, all this is just in case they ask about the previous stay; you don't need to show it if they don't ask.

Hello,

I have enter USA on tourist visa (B1\B2) in 2014 (Valid till 2024) and did status change to student visa (F1) got approved (No stamp on passport) inland I was in USA till 2018 on Student visa (F1). Then I moved to Canada (in 2018) got married to Canadian citizen. Currently having Indian citizenship and Canadian PR.

The question is these November 2022 my wife's cousin getting married in USA and they have invited us for wedding can I still re enter USA on tourist visa (B1\B2 as its valid till 2024) or I need to re apply for new tourist visa because of change of status inland to student (F1) and not having stamp on passport before leaving USA?

If yes tourist visa (B1\B2) stamped on passport still valid, Speaking practically will the immigration officer will let me enter the USA or not as I previously enter USA on same status (B2) and change of mind to student (F1) he/she can deport me and bard me from re entering? (I will have my wife (Canadian citizen) traveling with me and will have return ticket for both of us)

Thank you.
Thanks

Hello Rajiv Ji

I hope this message finds you well. In 2019, I moved to the USA to pursue my Master's in IT. Unfortunately, I have recently been affected by mass layoffs in the tech industry, leaving me with only 30 days to extend my stay in the country to address household responsibilities and potentially secure a full-time job.

I have researched a few options for extending my stay and would greatly appreciate your guidance on these alternatives:

1) Apply for a B2 visa promptly: This option would allow me to remain in the country for an additional six months (until July or August) and continue my job search.

2) Enroll in a community college and obtain an I-20: Many community colleges do not require GRE or TOEFL scores, and their Fall semester usually begins in mid-August. This cost-effective choice would give me time until December, and I could transfer any earned credits to a university if needed.

3) If more time is required, I could join a university in the Spring semester and transfer my community college credits. However, I understand that applying for an MS or PhD program would necessitate a direct application to the university.

I am eager to receive your insights and advice on these options. Your expertise and support would be invaluable during this challenging time.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your response and guidance.