Tough Landing Experience

simone1

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine recently landed through the Detroit-Toronto border. The lady interviewed him for more that one hour. He is on an AP , she asked him all kinds of questions about his status. She also did not take any pictures / PR application of him or his family for the PR card and said that he needs to apply online for the PR card. Also she said that he needs to provide his own address once he gets his appt/house.

1.Does any body have a similar experience?
2. In almost all the posts it is mentioned that the PR card application is applied at the port of entry and pictures are taken, then why this new online thing? Has the process changed recently??

I really do not think so.. I landed on July 01 and the first thing the officer did was see my landing doc and take a pic of me.. everything was over in 3-5 mins. I just provided a temp address where to send the PR card and he said it will be mailed in 3-5 weeks.

idmello,

How did you land, by air or by land, toronto or vancouver ??

Thanks for the reply

In my case, no photograph is taken , neither PR form is filled. (Nor $50.00 taken). I think for the nwly landed PR, it is already taken care of. PR card is generated based on all the information they have.

I received my PR Cards and hence I believe that Lady must not have taken all these. However, why she asked you to apply online is mystery.

From all the postings I read so far in this forum, the landing experience is never so bad. I thing that lady officer must have got up on wrong side.

Regarding the posting by” simone1” it happened with his friend and friend told him and “simone1” posted here. One cannot believe it is 100% true, he /she may have added something nobody knows what really happened. I have not read such exp in the past. it is case Case of social transmission, A tells Y something and Y adds someting from his own imagination what could have happned and posted here .

Last edited by a moderator:
ginnu,

I think it's very unfair on your part to accuse some totally strange person of exaggerating and spicing up an incident. It's also unfair to assume simone1's reporting is blownup than what you personally assume to be reality. Just because you haven't heard of any negative scenario doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Lets not project everything rosy and let's also not forget the word racism which can very well be the cause of such incidents.

my 2c

i had a very smooth landing many years ago on the ambasador bridge. so mine is not a landing story..

However ... I have noticed this 1 blonde woman officer who is appallingly rude. There was this one time when I was entering Canada with a 1st time visitor and she gave us a rough time. It is an abiding regret with me that I did not take her number down (which she has to give if asked - they dont have to give names) and at the least complain to CIC about her rudeness or better yet see a lawyer. Next time perhaps.

I have seen her being extraordinarily rude to other people too.

She might be a supervisor but I dont know that for a fact.

Landing experience

Ginnu,

Simone1, described my landing experience and it was described exactly as I told him. There is no need to miss inform people and one should not think like this. Good and bad things happen and it depends on the immigration officer you are dealing with.

Let me add more to this experience. I landed with my family to canada via Ambassador bridge @ about 12PM. The young lady officer asked me about my status. I told her status (AOS) and she said that I can not have two green cards and I've to cancle one from usa after getting that. She asked me about the proof of funds and entered all the info on my papers. Also she wrote my canada address. Then she informed me that I have to apply online for the PR card upon getting my own residance in canada. I told her that every body was photograhed at the port of entry for the PR card. She said now we don't do it any more all new applicants have to apply online for the PR card.

Any how i applied for the PR card online and got the email confirmation. The email says that "they will contact me in two working days if they can not process my PR request, other wise i'll get my PR card in 30 days"

I did not hear any thing from them so far and now i'm in USA.

Now the only problem could be that if they ask for the new pictures to be taken in their office then I've to apply for the TD to enter canada. My landing document was stamped "not valid for travel".

Hope this will help some one landing through detroit via ambassador bridge. I've already launched the complain about the rude behaviour of that officer.

Thanks

rah

Thanks for the update rah,

Folks,

I was reading the post submitted by araj_98 (my landing experience) . It looks like araj_98 went through the the same scenario as rah. ambassador Bridge ... Lady imm. officer... similar behaviour. I am just wondering if it is the same lady that both of of them encountered and who seems to be giving a tough time.

Any other experiences are welcome

re: my landing experience

Simone: thanks for bringing this up. I was thinking its just me who had such an experience.

Priya75: I agree with you that was unfair of ginnu.

Ginnu: I have gone thru the same experience..please read my posts (my landing experience) for details of the conversation. I havent posted all of it but it will give you fair idea about it.

Rah.: All this time I was thinking its was just me who had that experience. If its you and may be in coming days there will be few more so we may need to deal with this lady thru proper channel..what have you done so far?

about the pics, she didnt take mine either. Also, she didnt take my address but I called PR card 800 number and gave them later on after I got in Canada. I asked the CSR, she said they have everything needed to issue me a card..meaning the photos that I had sent them earlier were still good to use on the card.

I think they take it when you have family accompanying or if your photos were over a year old

Any updates on this ???

I am likely to have similiar problems as I would also be travelling on an AP whenever I go to Canada.

From what I understand one can possess either American or Canadian green card. Is that true ? If yes, then what is one supposed to do if he is travelling on an AP ?

TiredPerson,

I don't know what is AP but about US and Can GC, yes you can have both. Is AP is a paper indicating H1 status in US? While entering US you show that and enter. While entering canada, if you show ur US temporary status they will ask you for a tourist visa for canada but if you are already a canadian PR, then you can't obviously apply for tourist visa which means you just got the choice of entering canada as PR who is working in US on H1. I don't think there should be any trouble since it's very legal now.

Thanks Priya
AP is a document that you receive in the last stage of your US GC process. You have to use it to travel, rather than an H1 visa.

Anyway, the impression I had got from one the posts was that you cannot possess both Canadian and US green cards at the same time. If you carry an AP with you, it clearly shows that you are in the process of getting an American GC and if you cannot have that as well as Canadian GC, then there could be a problem in landing with an AP..

TiredPerson,

The reason why you got that impression was (about not having both Canadian and US PR Status) coz, earlier to maintain Canadian PR you had to be living in canada 1/2 the yr. *And*, if you were living in canada, how could you be working towards your GC thru H1 in the US? Since you had to be living/working there too? How could you claim to be living *both here and there*? Thus the confusion.
But since now, you can be out of canada for 3 yrs at a stretch, you can be a canadian PR and be living in US, thus no confusion.

The question comes when, lets say you got your canadian PR in 2000 and as you said, you get the AP at the last stage of your H1 processing, which means it's already been 2/3 yrs since you filed for H1, which also suggests that in 2000 when you told canada you were living here, infact you were in US? I hope you get the drift. As long as you got ur can. PR *after* you were atleast half way thru your H1(or if u got your can PR after 2002) and as long as you never tried to fool around with the dates, i seriously think you should be fine. More so coz immigration of both countries finally smartened up and left no more room for games now :)

Hope this helps.

IamTiredOfThis:

Any updates on this ???

I am likely to have similiar problems as I would also be travelling on an AP whenever I go to Canada.
--- When you enter Canada you face Canada immigration, they need visitor visa for Canada in your passport or if you are landing as Permanent resident then landing documents, passport and proof of funds. Canada immigration has nothing to do with your Advance parole (AP) it is granted to you by BCIS while your AOS or I-485 is pending so that you can re-enter US before the expiry date on AP.
Once you enter US from Canada by air or border show your Advance parole (AP) to the US BCIS inspector he will take you to a separate room where they have BCIS computer they will check the info in BCIS computer and will stamp your AP paper and I-94
If you have H1 valid visa in passport use H1 visa, if you have used EAD then you have to use AP, if visa in passport expired use AP, it is better to keep your I-485 filing receipt with you if they ask show that