touching story about a (failed) asylum applicant

Read the comments. It looks like half of the people who posted comments hate immigrants (especially illigal) They say that this guy does not belong to this country. I would like to know who really belongs to it then except for native Americans...

Read the comments. It looks like half of the people who posted comments hate immigrants (especially illigal) They say that this guy does not belong to this country. I would like to know who really belongs to it then except for native Americans...

Funny..Yah when you read the comments..very are anti-immigrant. Actually you see that a lot here..most of the americans who are here because of their grandparents, etc act if no one belongs here except them. I mean if the U.S govt would open up another Ellis Island..how many will immigrate to come here? There would be no illegal immigrantion..lots of these folks, if not for Ellis Island and U.S acceptance would have done the same thing..pity!

Relate

I can relate to his story too well, it brings back memories of fear and at the same time it makes me feel grateful. I am also certain there are many who read this forum who can relate to this story.

Four years ago I lost everything; a small piece of paper came in the mail letting me know my mother had withdrawn the application for asylum that allowed me to legally work in this country and go to school.

I was devastated and determined to look for any chance I can hang on to my life in this country. After many doors closed and many lawyers told me I wasn't going to be able to stay and there wasn't anything that I could do; I found my ray of hope, my chance and my last narrow opportunity to put everything on the line.

My lawyer and I decided to apply for asylum, 2 years later we received a letter letting us know they intended to deny my application; we promptly submitted a rebuttal and a year later on October 31st, 2007 we received the notice letting us know my asylum had been granted. On January 30th, 2009 I applied to change status and to get my Travel Document. Last week I completed my Fingerprints and Biometrics for both applications, now I wait.

I hope with everything that I can, that Juan finds a just and positive outcome to his case.