TOP URGENT travel question

GC2C

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I just became naturalized citizen this week. I have not taken any further action after that (not yet applied for US PP, not informed SS etc).

I need to very urgently ( in the next 2-3 days or as soon as I get my ticket confirmed) visit my previous home country (still have the original PP) to attend to a sick family member who is in critical health and in ICU.

Please advise what are my options for this travel.

Depends on which country is your home country.
If you have dual citizenship, you just need to get US passport.
If you do not have dual citizenship, you need to get US passport as well as visa to this country.

You can get same day US passport by going to a passport agency early in the day. It is better with an appointment, but you will get appointment only 10 days later, so just land up.
Visa - it depends, but most of the countries have some sort of emergency process.

Thank you sanjose.

I will be travelling to India.

I plan to apply for US PP on Monday or Tuesday. I have not yet booked my ticket as I think I need to contact the Indian Consulate as well after which only, I will know how much time it will take at their end based on which I can book the ticket. Will the US PP office issue same-day PP without the confirmed ticket?

Any idea about what I need to do with the Indian Consulate in SFO? Should I talk to them about temporary emergency travel document or visa or OCI or anything like this? Any idea how long this might take? Will they also ask for confirmed ticket before they entertain my request?

I am so lost, so would appreciate any advice from anyone.

Thank you sanjose.

I will be travelling to India.

I plan to apply for US PP on Monday or Tuesday. I have not yet booked my ticket as I think I need to contact the Indian Consulate as well after which only, I will know how much time it will take at their end based on which I can book the ticket. Will the US PP office issue same-day PP without the confirmed ticket?

Any idea about what I need to do with the Indian Consulate in SFO? Should I talk to them about temporary emergency travel document or visa or OCI or anything like this? Any idea how long this might take? Will they also ask for confirmed ticket before they entertain my request?

I am so lost, so would appreciate any advice from anyone.
First get US passport. Your Indian passport must be canceled by Consulate and you will get surrender certificate and then apply for Entry visa. OCI can take 2-3 months time.
you can read the threads related to SF consulate.

http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?243-Overseas-Citizenship-of-India-(OCI)-Issues

Last edited by a moderator: