Today is the Day..

aix2005

Registered Users (C)
Senate Budget commitee is discussing the SJC proposal at 2:00 PM today. If this gets approved, it will pass and become a law quickly since the Republicans contols the majority in both house and senate.. Am I Wrong?

No, the key here is house. Since SJC approved it in 14/2, I do not think it can get stuck in Senate. However the house have a completely different bill so they have to have a conference to iron out the difference. It is this conference that can potentially water down the content, ie remove the dependent exemption clause. That is why you hardly see anyone mentioning today's debate here or elsewhere. This is also mentioned in other web-site, ie immigration-law.com

EA

aix2005 said:
Senate Budget commitee is discussing the SJC proposal at 2:00 PM today. If this gets approved, it will pass and become a law quickly since the Republicans contols the majority in both house and senate.. Am I Wrong?

You'll see the H1B cap + fee raised pretty soon, as the Industry get cheaper people and Lawmakers gets more money for their Budget, other stuff(Green Card related) is a non issue for both parties(Industry & Lawmakers). Greencard related stuff is infact piggybacking the H1B/L1 fee/Cap issue. It may get thru or them may get rid of it.

I do not know how you guys found the finer details (or just guessing?) of what will be discussed or what will not be.

i watched CSPAn this AM, they clearly mentioned the "Budget renconciliation" proposal in its ENTIRETY will be discussed at 2PM and will be LIVE on CPSN2.

Anyone interested, can watch it on tv, or the live webcast on www.cspan.com. Pls check which one of those cspan/2/3 on the website and all of them have live webcasts.

neha_wal said:
You'll see the H1B cap + fee raised pretty soon, as the Industry get cheaper people and Lawmakers gets more money for their Budget, other stuff(Green Card related) is a non issue for both parties(Industry & Lawmakers). Greencard related stuff is infact piggybacking the H1B/L1 fee/Cap issue. It may get thru or them may get rid of it.

Neha_wal

GC issue is not piggybacking on H1B. The only reason why it figures out in budget reconciliation bill is because Congress plans on levying $500 for each recaptured visa number, be it a green card visa or H1B visa. It is a source of revenue and it would be hard to get rid of, since house is already bickering about medicaid budget reduction. Check Feinstein's news release about this.

http://feinstein.senate.gov/05releases/r-h1b-amndt.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
catch_22_4_GC said:
Neha_wal

GC issue is not piggybacking on H1B. The only reason why it figures out in budget reconciliation bill is because Congress plans on levying $500 for each recaptured visa number, be it a green card visa or H1B visa. It is a source of revenue and it would be hard to get rid of, since house is already bickering about medicaid budget reduction. Check Feinstein's news release about this.

http://feinstein.senate.gov/05releases/r-h1b-amndt.pdf

True. I was wondering how they plan to levy extra 500$ for EB visas for
cases already filed.
Going by the text of the proposed legislation, it appears that
if one wants to be counted against these recaptured numbers
you need to pay that fee. I was wondering how they could
implement this for cases already transferred to District Offices

is there 7% per country limit for the new 90K visa?

I am thrilled by the good news. It's much better than nothing. On the other hand, if the 7% per country limit is not removed, the new cap will be used up soon, at least for Indian/Chinese/Philippines.
Any opposition for my pessimistic comments?
Can we take action on this issue or it has been too late?

I am listening to this live......the plan is to have a vote today at 3.45 PM EST.....it will be presented in senate on monday and will be voted in senate at 6.00 PM Wednesday next week.

Shakti

Hi Do you mean cspn3 live relay talking about 39billion buget ?

Shakti Kapoor said:
I am listening to this live......the plan is to have a vote today at 3.45 PM EST.....it will be presented in senate on monday and will be voted in senate at 6.00 PM Wednesday next week.

Shakti