To renew EAD, do I have to have job?

sshen

Registered Users (C)
I got I-140 approved in 2002 and 3 EADs. To renew the 4th EAD, do I have to have job? Am I illegal here if I couldn't find a new job but the current EAD expired?

I got I-140 approved in 2002 and 3 EADs. To renew the 4th EAD, do I have to have job? Am I illegal here if I couldn't find a new job but the current EAD expired?

You don't need to have a job to renew EAD.

You are NOT illegal and your status is AOS.

Only thing is you can not start a new job if you present EAD is expired, so you have to wait until your EAD renwal is approved. But you can obtain iEAD from the local USCIS, if your application is pending more than 90 days. These days they are approving the renewals within a month.

Thanks a lot. But I saw the company offer letter or company letter is required for renew EAD in some other thread. Do you mean the company letter is just optional?

Thanks a lot. But I saw the company offer letter or company letter is required for renew EAD in some other thread. Do you mean the company letter is just optional?

Like you, I had 3 EAD's (2 renewals). I never had to attach any letter from
the employer. I don't recall seing any questions about my job/employer in the renewal application form. Only things I enclosed were photos, check and a photocopy of present EAD. Filed it myself and saved $500 attorney fee. My second renewal last year was pretty quick, got it in 2 weeks.

sshen said:

I would not include an employer letter, since one is not required to get an EAD. Once your I-485 is filed, you do NOT need a job to remain in legal status.

Thanks all of you. It is a big relief. At least the unfair process of I-485 doesn't kill me from the bottom. It is still very painful that my colleage who filed I-485 in the same time with or after me got approval already when we all had jobs while I have to face the coming REF or job status challenge after almost with the orginal employer for 4 years. :mad: