To Mexico with GC only...

muslikcat

Registered Users (C)
I am really reluctant about obtaining the Refugee Travel Passport because I hate to be identified as an asylie. I visited Mexican embassy web site online and it clearly says that GC holders from US do not need visa. I have a GC (AS6). Do you think GC only will be sufficient to visit Mexico? My friend has a regular GC (lottery based) and he just went to Mexico last year with only driver license and GC. Will I be able to do the same thing with my GC(AS6)? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

I tried that with just GC on December 31st this year and the airline would not let me board.

Lexi said:
I tried that with just GC on December 31st this year and the airline would not let me board.
Do you think the same will be if I would drive to Mexico?
Did you go eventually to Mexico? How was it?

Muslikat:
There is a new law that requires a passport to cross either border (Mexico or Canada). I personally think you should get a Travel Document (NP or RTD or RP) to be safe.
Suerte

Colombian PR said:
Muslikat:
There is a new law that requires a passport to cross either border (Mexico or Canada). I personally think you should get a Travel Document (NP or RTD or RP) to be safe.
Suerte
I have a national passport. But it does not have a word in English. It is written using my native language only. Do you think this will be acceptable for exiting and coming back?

Of course it would, as long as it is valid, meaning unexpired. Are your numbers Arabic? Is the expiration date legible?
:confused:

I travel to Canada last year with my National Passport and my Green Card and the IO didn't open my passport, (in spanish) he just passed our GC thru a thingy, like the ones used at the supermarkets when you pay with a debit card, and that was it.

I don't know how it works to Mexico. But don't panic, theres nothing to worry about, you have rights as a Permanent Resident of USA and one of them is that you can travel freely, with a valid Travel Document.

Suerte

Get a RTD just to be safe. Mine arrived in 2 1/2 months, but if you apply now it will probably be even faster. Aslo, before you go, if you want to be totally safe, get a letter from the Mexican embassy saying that no Visa is required and that RTD is good in place of a passport. Airlines are totally confused right now and they may not board you, but if you take all these precautions, they can't do anything.

Lexi said:
Get a RTD just to be safe. Mine arrived in 2 1/2 months, but if you apply now it will probably be even faster. Aslo, before you go, if you want to be totally safe, get a letter from the Mexican embassy saying that no Visa is required and that RTD is good in place of a passport. Airlines are totally confused right now and they may not board you, but if you take all these precautions, they can't do anything.
My NP passport does not have an expiration date because it is valid until i turn 45 years old. Again, RTD points out that i am ex-refuge. Why can't I enjoy benefits of regular GC holder who don't need a RTD in order to travel.

Because if you use your NP and you are an asylee or refugee, it could create problems for you when you apply for citizenship. If you voluntarily ask for a benfit from your country of persecution, that could constitute a denial of your citizenship. If you ask me, that ain't worth it, but you are ofcourse free to do what you wish.

When you travel to Mexico, you are not asking your country anything. You are not asking for protection or permission or anything.

Lets wait and see if someone else have another opinion, but my thinking is you can travel freely with your NP and GC.
Suerte

Lexi said:
Because if you use your NP and you are an asylee or refugee, it could create problems for you when you apply for citizenship. If you voluntarily ask for a benfit from your country of persecution, that could constitute a denial of your citizenship. If you ask me, that ain't worth it, but you are ofcourse free to do what you wish.
Lexi, I appreciate your opinion, but let me to disagree with you. I, like Colombian_PR, think that using NP for travel is not equal to obtaining any benefits from the COP country. Please, someone, shed some more light on this question.

Folks,

Here is how organizations that resettle people in the U.S. are advising their clients:

Asylees must only travel with a United States issued Refugee Travel Document. If an asylee travels with the passport issued by the country from which she has been granted asylum, she can be seen as availing herself of the protections of her government which could lead to a finding by the U.S. government that she no longer needs asylum protection.
Asylees should understand, however, that even after obtaining legal permanent residence, they will have to use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad. It is only after an asylee becomes a U.S. citizen that he will be eligible for a U.S. passport. Asylees should also understand that until they obtain U.S. citizenship they cannot travel back to their countries. When they apply to naturalize, they will have to list all international travel after obtaining legal permanent residence in the United States, and a DHS Official could re-open the asylum grant upon learning that the applicant traveled back to his country.

I presume their lawyers have checked all the facts.

Lexi:
Where did you get that info from? Do you have a link to the original document? It's interesting what it says about RTD.

I would like to see the original source.
Thanks

I got it from the website of an organization that advocates on behalf of immigratants called immigrationequality. Just take some of the text above and google it and it will pop out, or search for immigrationequality.

I found it. It's interesting. Thanks, but I still think he is safe traveling with GC and NP. It's only mu personal opinion.

I traveled with RTD and no GC in 2005 to Mexico city. I had a Mexican visa in my RTD but when passing a passport control in Mexico the guy even didn't look at my travel document. He stamped RTD at a random page which made me think back then that visa is not that important. However when you check in, the airlines representative will verify your eligability and that's when u can get into trable. I am not sure what's gonna happened when driving. I heard some people were able to drive to Tihuana without having visa with just RTD. But its' risky.

I had a less than desirable experience with the airlines also. They are all bent out of shape about this new passport requirement, which is not supposed to apply to GC holders at all. My understanding is that if you have a GC and RTD, you should be fine when traveling to Mexico, but I've heard all sorts of things from the airlines and even some Mexican IO’s. I think it will take a few months for these issues to sort themselves out. In the meantime, if any of you has had a negative experience, or know of someone who has, please let me know. I work in the immigration advocacy field and will be more than glad to bring this issue up with the appropriate authorities and non-governmental organizations.

I have done this

Back in 2004, I traveled to Mexico and researched about visa requirements ahead of time. I went to the Mexican Consulate Downtown LA and believe me, it was the WORSE consulate experience I have ever had.

They are SO disorganized, the place is a mess, children crying, drunk people and the staff looked simply illiterate. And I am not bashing the Mexicans here (I'm Brazilian and they are my cousins), but their consulate to me looked like it was "The Day After Tomorrow" and everyone was getting a Visa to Mexico.

Oh, well. I was more worried about getting back to the US than entering in Mexico. Although they clearly say that RTD holder MUST have a visa, I took advantage of their mess and disorganization. I actually DID APPLY for the visa, they saaid they'd call me in 2 weeks to give me the approval or denial notice, but that was back in 04 and unless they are still processing my application, I don't think they will ever call. Do I need to say anything else?

So, I decided to enter Mexico with my NP, which does not require a visa, and reenter the US with my RTD. But at the Port of Entry in Mexico City Airport, I actually presented my RTD (because I wanted all records of my trip in my RTD, NOT in my NP) and they did not say a thing,. just let me in and said "Bienvenido".

Long story short: Do stress about getting your RTD to get back to the States, you dont want IO to bitch at anything when you are entering this country. Unless Mexico has drastically changed the service at its Consulates, don;t go there to apply for a visa, its easier to learn Salsa or Samba in 24 hours than to get something from there.

Mauricio22 said:
Back in 2004, I traveled to Mexico and researched about visa requirements ahead of time. I went to the Mexican Consulate Downtown LA and believe me, it was the WORSE consulate experience I have ever had.

They are SO disorganized, the place is a mess, children crying, drunk people and the staff looked simply illiterate. And I am not bashing the Mexicans here (I'm Brazilian and they are my cousins), but their consulate to me looked like it was "The Day After Tomorrow" and everyone was getting a Visa to Mexico.

Oh, well. I was more worried about getting back to the US than entering in Mexico. Although they clearly say that RTD holder MUST have a visa, I took advantage of their mess and disorganization. I actually DID APPLY for the visa, they saaid they'd call me in 2 weeks to give me the approval or denial notice, but that was back in 04 and unless they are still processing my application, I don't think they will ever call. Do I need to say anything else?

So, I decided to enter Mexico with my NP, which does not require a visa, and reenter the US with my RTD. But at the Port of Entry in Mexico City Airport, I actually presented my RTD (because I wanted all records of my trip in my RTD, NOT in my NP) and they did not say a thing,. just let me in and said "Bienvenido".

Long story short: Do stress about getting your RTD to get back to the States, you dont want IO to bitch at anything when you are entering this country. Unless Mexico has drastically changed the service at its Consulates, don;t go there to apply for a visa, its easier to learn Salsa or Samba in 24 hours than to get something from there.

FUnny!@