To bring or not to bring an attorney?

gnr5

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,

Those of you who are going to the interview or went. If money would not be an issue, would you bring an attorney with you to the interview?

If anyone has done it, please share your opinions.

Thanks!

No, i wouldnt hire an attorney for the interview unless my case was a big mess. interview is alot easier and pleasant process than many people make it out to be. no need for an attorney.

I had my interview recently. I was extremely terrified, because I had overstayed my F1. After researching and reading on this forum, we decided to go without a lawyer. On the day of the interview, I was really questioning my decision, since I saw other couples waiting there with their lawyers.

But our interview was such a pleasant experience, that I think bringing a lawyer would have only made the IO ask more questions etc. . I may be wrong, but thats how we felt.

So if you dont have a messy case, like isezer mentioned, I wouldnt take a lawyer.

Good luck!

The point of the interview is to establish that you are a legitimate couple, married for the right reasons. No lawyer can help you establish that.

Maybe an immigration lawyer immigrant? ;)

I also don't think a lawyer would be much help at the interview. What comes to mind that could be more useful are to bring a car mechanic in case your vehicle breaks down on the way, or a psychologist, or a motivational speaker!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my interview recently. I was extremely terrified, because I had overstayed my F1. After researching and reading on this forum, we decided to go without a lawyer. On the day of the interview, I was really questioning my decision, since I saw other couples waiting there with their lawyers.

But our interview was such a pleasant experience, that I think bringing a lawyer would have only made the IO ask more questions etc. . I may be wrong, but thats how we felt.

So if you dont have a messy case, like isezer mentioned, I wouldnt take a lawyer.

Good luck!

Imigzak , how long did you overstay before your application? What questions did the interviewer ask ?

Yes, bring an Attorney

Yes, bring an Attorney to the Interview. Guys this is my view, so please do not start arguments here.

I had an Attorney for both my Citizenship and my wife's AOS entire process. I can only say, it went smooth as ever. I got my USC in 3.5 months and AOS in 3 months. No issues whatsoever.

For the most part, an Attorney at the Interview can interpret the law better than you can, in case of any issues. He cannot speak for you, the questions pointed at you, but he is there to protect your legal rights.

Secondly, I feel that the attorney has better AOS interview preparation skills than you and me, even though things look simple.

I also felt that the basic Application Package sent to USCIS, was excellent and very well organized (think of all the people asking questions like, do I staple this to that or do I use clips.. and such silly things).

Once again, just my view, as I have dealt with Attorney. Remember, there is an Attorney who knows Immigration Laws and there is one Attorney who knows only Immigration Paperwork.

Good Luck.

If your kid scratches his leg and has a minor cut. Would you get your first aid kit, clean the area, disinfect it and place a band aid?

Or would you take it to the Emergency Room and pay $500 dollars for the same thing?

Now, if your Kid gets his leg severed by a chain saw... will you try to fix it yourself? or call 911 get an ambulance and take him to the hospital... and pay $15000 dollars.

----------
I hope nothing happens to nobody's kids, it is just an illustration to get a point accross.

Filing for AOS is not very difficult, the interview isn't either, and the IOs are not just waiting you step in their office so they can break your civil and constitutional rights. So, if your case is rather simple (no LONG overstays, no prior convictions by the law, etc) then go without a lawyer. Otherwise, pony up and enjoy the ride ;).