to be Married! Please Advise (Canadian to American in us)

iknowhowtosing

Registered Users (C)
Questions

Please Help!!!

So I’ve been in Cali more than 5 months now (Canadian) and had no intentions of staying; my damn apartment’s in Toronto’s been empty this whole time. Anyways I met someone and she now wants to get marry me and I decided to do it as I do love her and I don’t see why not!

I want to give her a nice planned wedding in a few months rather than doing it in a rush the next few weeks so not to have overstayed my 6 months here. But we’re a little concerned about the gap if we decide to leave it for later… Also my car has Canadian licence plates so I’m constantly worried about getting pulled over. I thought of just driving to Vancouver or even Mexico for a few days but I read that it’s 6 months per fiscal year (the fiscal year ending and restarting in September); so I guess another option would be to leave now and come back in September? (still worried they might not let me…). I don’t know if it matters but I never got a I-94 slip in my passport when I drove through the border in December.

Another option is me trying to find a job on a TN visa in Engineering (I have my masters in Engineering so I’m hoping that’ll make the marriage and maybe the TN easier and more accepting). But what if I get a job offer only after the 6 months? Then maybe it wouldn’t be allowed right? Then I might as well leave and apply abroad and come back with a TN…?

She think its best for me just to stay and marry in a few (3-4 months) and take the risk. She’s been reading about the K1 and K3 visa’s and we have decided not to do the K1 as it’s weird and longer. I can get a work permit in a few months I heard, and this is really great as I’m going crazy not working but I audited a course at USC last semester..

My friend and I have also thought about partnering up in his business as I do (volunteering) work for him (technical and engineering work). Could I do that? Or could he just hire me as an employee. The business was incorporated more than a year ago and I don’t think it has had much revenue flow…

We want to stay here for another year maybe two, then we’re moving to Toronto to my apartment there.

I would really appreciate your ideas and help. Thank you very much

Because I don't want to leave as I don't want to risk any problems at the border...

what would be my best option??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you leave the US and spend 3-5 months in Canada while your K-1 is being processed, you will not have any issues re-entering the US on your K-1 visa. I moved to the US from Canada using a K-1 and trust me, it is one easy process.

Because I don't want to leave as I don't want to risk any problems at the border...

Questions

Please Help!!!

So I’ve been in Cali more than 5 months now (Canadian) and had no intentions of staying; my damn apartment’s in Toronto’s been empty this whole time. Anyways I met someone and she now wants to get marry me and I decided to do it as I do love her and I don’t see why not!

I want to give her a nice planned wedding in a few months rather than doing it in a rush the next few weeks so not to have overstayed my 6 months here. But we’re a little concerned about the gap if we decide to leave it for later… Also my car has Canadian licence plates so I’m constantly worried about getting pulled over. I thought of just driving to Vancouver or even Mexico for a few days but I read that it’s 6 months per fiscal year (the fiscal year ending and restarting in September); so I guess another option would be to leave now and come back in September? (still worried they might not let me…). I don’t know if it matters but I never got a I-94 slip in my passport when I drove through the border in December.

Another option is me trying to find a job on a TN visa in Engineering (I have my masters in Engineering so I’m hoping that’ll make the marriage and maybe the TN easier and more accepting). But what if I get a job offer only after the 6 months? Then maybe it wouldn’t be allowed right? Then I might as well leave and apply abroad and come back with a TN…?

She think its best for me just to stay and marry in a few (3-4 months) and take the risk. She’s been reading about the K1 and K3 visa’s and we have decided not to do the K1 as it’s weird and longer. I can get a work permit in a few months I heard, and this is really great as I’m going crazy not working but I audited a course at USC last semester..

My friend and I have also thought about partnering up in his business as I do (volunteering) work for him (technical and engineering work). Could I do that? Or could he just hire me as an employee. The business was incorporated more than a year ago and I don’t think it has had much revenue flow…

We want to stay here for another year maybe two, then we’re moving to Toronto to my apartment there.

I would really appreciate your ideas and help. Thank you very much

Illegal work!!!!!!