To all travel and life after the green card based on asylum travel experts

bakersf

Registered Users (C)
I have had a Green card through asylum since 2007. I applied for an RTD and just completed the required fingerprints. I am planning to travel to the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands in March next year. I know I need a visa to the UK and have applied for it before and I got it without any issues. I found out that I do not need a visa to visit Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. I am just a little nervous that once I arrive at a Schengen airport that requires a visa( paris charles degaulle as my first point of entry, only at the airport to catch a flight to amsterdam) I will be turned away. Should I make a copy of the travel requirements for RTD holders and show it to passport control in Paris if I get any problems? Or should I simply apply for a schengen visa or avoid flying into paris altogether and not be denied entry. Thanks

You need a visa if you going to use France as a transit point. France doesn't recognize RTD, but in Germany you don't need to worry about visa. If you wanna avoid misunderstandings at the airport schedule your flights via Germany.

Thanks Uncle Joe

But when I had an rtd before i was issued a visa at the french consulate in san francisco last year and they let me in at charles de gaulle paris without any hassles. ..I stayed in paris for a week..I will have to double check though with the french consulate in san francisco..better be safe than sorry...:eek:

I have had a Green card through asylum since 2007. I applied for an RTD and just completed the required fingerprints. I am planning to travel to the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands in March next year. I know I need a visa to the UK and have applied for it before and I got it without any issues. I found out that I do not need a visa to visit Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. I am just a little nervous that once I arrive at a Schengen airport that requires a visa( paris charles degaulle as my first point of entry, only at the airport to catch a flight to amsterdam) I will be turned away. Should I make a copy of the travel requirements for RTD holders and show it to passport control in Paris if I get any problems? Or should I simply apply for a schengen visa or avoid flying into paris altogether and not be denied entry. Thanks

According to the French consulate you don't need a visa to transit through France:

If you hold one of the following documents, you DO NOT NEED an airport transit visa, whatever your nationality :

Diplomatic passport, official passports and service passports (except Guinea, service passports only),
U.S. Permanent residence (’green card’),
U.S. Refugee travel document,
U.S. Re-entry permit (the advance Parole is NOT a re-entry permit),
Residency permit in one of the countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Canada or Japan.

You can find the the above information here: http://www.consulfrance-losangeles.org/spip.php?article791

I also checked other consulates to check for consistency and got the same answer.

Hope this helps

Thanks scully

I appreciate all your information. I will print out the link that you sent me and take it with me when I travel. Thanks and have a great day.

I would talk to a French consular officer here before you go, though. I know it says no visa required for transit, but that could also depend on the next destination. If you are continuing from France to another country in the Schengen zone, you WILL go through passport control. Transiting through France to, say, Egypt, doesn't require clearing immigration, so that would be ok. Check with them.

r. I know I need a visa to the UK and have applied for it before and I got it without any issues. I found out that I do not need a visa to visit Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. !!!!!!

really !!! you mean you can book a flight and go and visit germany or netherlands directly ?? but if you enter one of these countries wouldnt you be able to go to any european country ?

You do not need a visa with a USCIS refugee travel document to go to Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. So you need to apply for a refugee travel document. If you take a train like let's say from Frankfurt to Paris , France and you don't have a schengen visa and French officers find out( there is no passport control since this train ride is considered domestic but they have a right to ask you to present a travel document) , you will most likely be sent back to Germany. Better get a Schengen (EU) visa if you want to visit all other countries and not just the three I mentioned above just to stay on the safe side.

Hi, Guys it think i'm in the right forum here. I got my Fingerprint on July 13 2010, hoping I got the Rtd very soon. I have a question to ask, maybe some one can help me. I am planning to travel to singapore, however i called the embassy and they said they don't recognize RTD, and they ask me to travel with my NP, which is very impossible to do so. Thank you so much guys