TN1 - Canadian Citizen - Engineer Profession with Engineering Degree

John1988

All,

I am a Canadian citizen and I have a job offer to relocate to the USA. My (hopefully) future firm has hired an attorney to file a I-129 petition on my behalf.

I have a Bachelor and a Master degrees in Engineering from my country of origin in Europe which have already been sent by the attorney for equivalency in the USA and they were considered equivalent to a Bachelor and a Master degrees obtained in the USA.

Now, assuming my I-129 petition will be filed for the "engineer" position, I must admit that while I have two legit Engineering degrees, the major of both degrees is not extremely well tied to the engineering profession I do.

However, it is noted that my engineering profession is in a bit of a niche sector with few Universities only in the USA providing a major in such engineering discipline. Furthermore, it could be argued with some explanation in the letters and with the transcripts that a significant amount of exams I have undertaken are tied to my engineering profession.

My question is: how likely is that USCIS will red-flag this as an incongruence (assuming the attorney will appropriately describe my engineering profession)? Any similar experiences?

I read many similar topics but often times it was a non-engineering degree for an engineering position and nearly always for software engineers, which is not my case.

Thanks in advance.

Since you seem to not want to actually say what your degree is in nor what job, I guess I will simply say "Dunno"

Last edited:
You probably don't want to over-think this, because I doubt USCIS officers will either.

If your degree (equivalency in English) has the word "Engineering" in it, then applying for the CSA category of "Engineer" seems rather obvious.

The Engineer job category requires just 1 degree. There are no bonus points for 2 degrees, and no harm in showing the USCIS both.

Your job description / letter of support from the employer must match the duties of an "Engineer". It's a broad category and allows for broad job duties. (which is why we now have people writing phone apps & people designing undersea pipelines getting approved under the same category.)

Hopefully you have an experienced TN lawyer, because I'd expect them to advise upon the writing of such a support letter so that describes your job duties:

a) truthfully
b) in a way that's simple enough for a layman to understand
c) in a way that obviously falls under officer's subjective opinion of 'engineer' job category

My question is: how likely is that USCIS will red-flag this as an incongruence (assuming the attorney will appropriately describe my engineering profession)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "red-flag" but there are only 2 realistic outcomes:

1) approved
2) denied

Don't worry about being denied until it happens. If you are denied, you will be told why. You are free to apply again after correcting whatever caused the first denial.

Thanks @grant2. The letter contains a good link between my education, my profession and the OOH description for my profession so I am hopeful!

Another question came to my mind: if the I-129 is successful, am I required to wait for the physical copy of the I-797? Or, I am not, since I am outside the Unites States?

Thanks.

If you have all the information related to the approved I-129, you can show up and have them look it up. You will be re-examined, the same way that you would whether you had the I-797, or were making a border petition.