TN1 and Ties to home countries

joycekoon

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

This monday, I was on my way to USA for a job interview but was refused entry at the land border by the CBP because they found resume in my suitcase and they suspected that I was trying to work in USA illegally. Also, I was unable to show my ties in Canada as I have no house, no mortgage, no job, no lease etc etc in Canada. :mad:

Well sure enough this was not my intension to work illegally in USA. I planned to come back Canada and re-enter USA on a TN-1 visa once I got a job offer. Now my question is that if I'm lucky enought to get a job offer from a US employer and am trying to apply for TN status at POE, do I need to show ties to home country? I'm an AICPA with a 4-year bachelor degree so I should be eligible for the NAFTA category. I read from other forums that some says YES I need to show ties and some says NO I do not need to show ties as TN terms are kind of vagus and it all depends on the CBP officer's subjectivity.

Please help!:confused:

Which boarder have you been and i guess you are carrying many things in the trunk, that is the reson you got verifies all your briefcase. Should say you are going for an interview

The answer is "No". Normally, you do not have to show ties to Canada. But since your case has become a "special case" because of your denial, you will need to do everything possible to show (if asked) that you have a base in Canada.

Does anyone know if I need to show ties to Canada if I want to a TN status? Thanks!

Your case remains "special" only until you get a TN. Any time you've entered US in the past you should have been able to produce sufficient evidence that you live in canada (or some other country). They would have been right to reject your entry any other time. The fact that you crossed 'looking for work' was no no-brainer for them to deny entry.

Once you get the TN though, the requirement disappers.

Thanks for all the replies but my question was that if I need to show ties in Canada in order to obtain TN-1 at POE?

You got your answer: Normally, no, but because you carelessly 'forgot' to prove ties last time, you will when you go this time. AFTER you get the TN, you can break all ties.

And just so we asre clear, the ties do not have to be in canada, just outside US.

yes, you need to show if you have any bank statments, T4 STATEMENTS IF YOU file any taxes. any addrees communications. cell phone bills etc. good luck. ususally depends on the officer. few officers ask more than required

I did hear some CBP officers requested proof of ties with the motherland from TN candidates, and I was actually requested once, but the guy did not asked me to show him all the evidences though after I told him I still own a condo in Vancouver, and I am still paying my Medicare in there...
To some officers, TN = 100% non-immigration status; which means, no "dual intention" is allowed.
This is why I was forced to get an H-1B.
Peace Arch is usually the strictest of all. If you planned to enter from there, be well prepared.
Request a written notice from the interviewer, and try it again. Get a return ticket that's either the day or a few days after your proposed interview date, then try it again.
Since you've already brought up the interview thing, you have to demonstrate that you come here only temporarily (a return airline ticket is very crucial).
Good luck