TN with no BA degree

Xav

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of accepting an IT job in the US, however it seems there is a bit of difficulty concerning the TN Visa. I completed a DEC (2 years pre-university degree) in Science from a Quebec Cegep. I then went to university in Computer Sciences for 2 years without completing the BA degree, but got credits for around 20 courses. I'm now working in IT for more than 5 years and I've been completing a few certifications related to my job.

The HR dept that's currently working on my TN Visa is afraid that I could fail the conditions about the related diploma, since it is general Sciences (Physics, Maths, Chemistry, etc.) and not directly related to IT. The TN category would be Computer Systems Analyst.

Are they right to be concerned about this?

Thanks.

Yes, they are correct to be concerned.

Since you are using the 2-yr dipl and 3 yr experience criteria, your University courseload doesn't matter. Since your dipl is not IT related, you will have a tough sell at the border.

Listen to webtiger - both of us have been here a long time as Scientific Technicians.

The official title is IT Performance engineer... for a bank. Really far from Scientific Technician, which has to be in the research field, right?

So now I'd like to know... Do I still have possibilities to get this TN according to you or it's not worth trying at the border?

Do I still have possibilities to get this TN according to you or it's not worth trying at the border?

Computer systems analyst definitely out of the question in your case. you either need a 3 CEGEP degree in a computer related field plus 5 years experience, or a Bachelors degree in a computer related field. A 2 year CEGEP degree in Pure & Applied Sciences will not cut it.

The official title is IT Performance engineer... for a bank. Really far from Scientific Technician, which has to be in the research field, right?

So now I'd like to know... Do I still have possibilities to get this TN according to you or it's not worth trying at the border?

You need to do some SERIOUS reading of the requirments of Sci-Tech it is not just for research.
You need to have "theoretical knowledge" and work "in support of an engineer"...
So do you have theoretical knowledge of computer hardware/software/networking performance? Can you prove it? Would you be working under a bona fide Computer Science grad and can you prove that?

I don't know which company is hiring you but if the immigration lawyer hasn't mentioned Sci-Tech for your case you need to offer it up as an alternative to CSA.

I repeat

Listen to webtiger - both of us have been here a long time as Scientific Technicians.

I have a business diploma with just a bunch of technical courses over the years.

Don't focus on the job title - focus on the functions of the job:

ie: Scientific Technician to perform information technology engineering:

Specific duties will include fetching coffee, putting paper in printers, changing toilet rolls etc. blah, blah, blah....

Webtiger, please fill in the computerese lingo for Xav.

Last edited by a moderator:
I repeat

Webtiger, please fill in the computerese lingo for Xav.

I would have to see the internal position description, not the one that gets thrown out on Monster, Dice and to recruiters, to actually fill in the technical lingo.
I think I'm going to start charging for this advice I've saved 4 people already this year from really, really bad offer letters. :p

Me too - saved people from bad offer letters.

It's the functions of the job that are important - not the title.

So please don't come up with fancy or goofy titles - like third sub assistant in charge of closet space and ask us to make it fit.

Guys, this is the internal description, not sure how I can make this fit to my Pure and Applied Sciences diploma...

Functions:

• Design, develop, and implement comprehensive stress tests of systems running on various hardware and software platforms (including UNIX, Microsoft, Java applications, Microsoft applications, third party applications, and network) using load simulation tools such as Webload, Loadrunner and IOMeter.
• Conduct system capacity analysis using data from monitoring systems, stress testing results, and estimates of future business needs. You will work with others in Technology to identify key capacity drivers for various systems including servers, networks, data bases, telephony systems, and infrastructure applications like web and application servers.
• Setup and maintain the tracking of comprehensive performance data to allow for periodic analysis and reporting of how the systems are performing against internal and business partner SLAs.
• Participate in design reviews to assess system response time and scalability impacts associated with the introduction of service providers, new or modified business applications, and infrastructure changes.
• Recommend and apply process and architectural improvements to continually improve performance and stability of systems.

Skills:

• Relevant performance engineering and capacity planning background
• Detailed understanding of software and architectural performance factors
• Experience with load test and performance analysis tools (i.e. Webload, Loadrunner, and IOMeter) required
• Experience with large-scale, multi-tier web systems with real-time customer interaction required
• Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced, dynamic environment
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a highly inquisitive nature
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to display strong sense of urgency

Perfect,

Those are the functions - well described.

You can't see how your pure and applied sciences fit this?

I am assuming you took the following:

Highlight the math classes and anything "techie" that you took.

You only have to prove that you have theoretical knowledge.

What you want to add is that you are being offered a position as a Scientific Technician (Engineering) to perform the following functions:

Then put your functions.

Remember, the job Title is Scientific Technician - and nothing else. The company can put that title in whatever category they want for pay purposes and can call what they want for internal purposes at their office. But not for USCIS. No laws being broken.

Get rid of this:

• Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced, dynamic environment. The minimal supervision is a problem.

Webtiger - add your two cents but it looks pretty good to me.

And one other thing - If and when you get here, finish that degree !!! You may not see a reason now, but later you will see a reason.

A couple of things.

Write the letter up yourself and explain that for immigration purposes, this is the way it needs to be written. Again - you are not doing anything wrong.

If they won't go for it there are tons of other places that will hire you - so unless you are taking Bill Gates' job move on. Time and time again we see people get hung up on one job and can't get passed it.

Also, look under TN classifications on the internet and show them the description. None of this should be a problem.

If none of this works, your last option is to finish school - and don't be hard headed about that because now you can see how it's all coming back to bite you in the A$$.

And I speak from personal experience - because here I am finishing my bachelor's and then my masters. Had I at least completed my bachelor's I wouldn't have had nearly as much heartache as I have had.

Is there a way to apply for the visa at the airport (Montreal) without any plane ticket instead of going to the borders by car?

If not, is there any schedule for the immigration officer at the POE?

No you can't go to the Airport because that is all part of Pre-Flight Inspection after you've passed through security.

Assuming you're in Montreal or the surrounding area, the border is not that far away. Go on the internet and look for CBP - Customs and Border Protection. There, you will find all of the border locations. Call ahead and make sure that the border you pick will do a TN for you - someone here almost drove six hours to a border that was actually a freight shipping port. Also ask if there is a specific person you need to see.

They will also expect that you are headed to work that same day that you show up. When you call, ask them if this is true - that you must be reporting to work that same day. If you ask and an Officer tells you it's not necessary then GET A NAME, GET A NAME!!!

If you must report to work the same day then just cross the border and go have lunch or something and then drive back later that day - remember it's Canada Customs on your way back not U.S.

Then when you're ready to move you'll have your TN in hand and everything else.

And one last note - did you find out what it's going to take to finish the degree?

Just called the borders and indeed they told me I need to report to work the same day. The thing is that I didn't give my resignation and my 2 weeks notice yet to my current employer, just in case I can't get the visa.

So what should I do? I was planning on going tonight, get the visa, go back home and cross the border again in 2 weeks.

I guess I need to put some luggages in the car to make them believe I'm going straight to work for tomorrow morning?

You could do that (the luggage thing) - not a bad idea.

Definitely don't give your notice until you get the TN - under no circumstances are you to do that.

You may want to stay over night for tonight and head back to work in the morning.

Also, if you don't get the TN granted, ask them why (I'm not anticipating any problems for you unless your letter is poorly crafted or you don't have a copy of your transcripts).

Ask them why they can't grant it. Once they tell you why, ask them if you get the letter or transcripts corrected, if they will give it to you. I'm trying to help you avoid "border shopping" - ie: go from one border to the next and then to the next as this can catch up to you.

ok, let's say I cross the border tonight, the officer thinks I'm heading to work. Then a few hours later, I go back to Canada... Is there any stamps somewhere that could show I went back home?

And then, when I cross the border again in 2 weeks, is he going to ask questions about it, as why I'm crossing the border again? And if I cross the border in 2 days instead of 2 weeks?

I really don't understand this rule, just doesn't make sense to me...