TN Visa for Social Worker?

jasminees2

Hello,
I graduated with a BA in Criminology and I'm getting my MA in International Crime & Justice this December in the US (Both my BA/MA are from US)
I recently got a job offer as a crime victim advocate, which is social work. I currently applied for OPT, but was wondering if I could change into TN visa.
Would this case work under TN Social Work category? I'm Canadian btw.

Typically, one needs a Social worker degree, but for this specific job, which is indeed closely related to social work, your education background would seem to fit.

I would be applying well before your OPT runs out, just to make sure that CBP will buy this.

Typically, one needs a Social worker degree, but for this specific job, which is indeed closely related to social work, your education background would seem to fit.

I would be applying well before your OPT runs out, just to make sure that CBP will buy this.

Thanks for the response!
Then I have another question: Do you think I will be able to just get TN, rather than OPT right away? Or do you think I should work on OPT first, and then do TN. I wasn't sure if I needed prior experience to get TN for this category.

I would stay with OPT for now, simply because you have already applied. Experience never counts when you have a degree.

Hi there, did you end up applying for the TN visa with your education? I am studying counseling and it is very similar and wondering if I will be able to apply under the social worker TN category as well..