TN Visa expiring

josep

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends,

I am almost at the end of my TN visa period (On the I-94 form in my password it is marked July 1st). I wonder if I have to return to Canada up to this day or one day before or I have a grace period, I don't want to overstay because this might affect other applications. I could stay with my present employer and renew the visa before it expired, he offered me so but I recently have several interviews and I think in a couple of weeks I can get a new offer that's why I did not decide to renew my TN with my present employer because lit might be difficult later to change it again if I switch to other employer, so I decided to wait until I a better opportunity comes up but my TN visa is ending soon. I wonder if I can stay until I get a new offer in the US or I have to back to Canada immediately when my TN period is over.

Thanks for your help,

Josep

Dear Friends,

I forgot to ask, as my visa is expiring, do I need to return the I-94 form when returning to Canada, I was planning to return to Canada the last day it is indicated in the visa?, if so, what is the procedure for returning the form at as this is the first time I am going thorugh this.

Thanks again for your help,

Josep

Reply to josep

josep,
You have to renew your TN if you still stay in the current company and before you start to work in other company. Otherwise, you will not have status in the US before starting other job. You will have hard time to get TN for other job.

Dear friends,

Thanks for the advice, even though it's still a bit not clear to me what to do. If I return to Canada now that my TN visa is expiring and wait there and probably in one or two weeks I can get another offer and reapply by that time again for TN would be more difficult than if I reapply with my current employer get an update of my TN and in one week or so I will have to reapply again because I will change my employer. Please let me know your advice on his matter. I heard people saying that is difficult to exchange employers in TN specially if you just got a previous one not too long ago.

Thanks again,

Jose

The correct procedure to stay in US after you lose your TN (either by lay-off/firing, or simple non-renewal) is to apply for B2 tourist status, filing I-539 by mail NOT going to border. You state that you are going to 'wrap up US affairs', but you can look for work.

What happened to your current TN job? Why are they not renewing you?

If they are renewing you, just go to border with new TN letter and docs.

If you leave US without a TN job lined up, you may have trouble coming back in to 'search' for work. Getting B2 allows you to stay for 6 months and look for work more easily.

Thanks for advice

Dear Friends,

Thanks for your answer here in this thread, That gives me some courage to continue. I heard several versions of people getting refused their second TN because they got one before, even got their I-94 removed from their previous employer. That's why I am nervous concerning that. Company is not doing too good and pay is low, only last month 5 people quit all in the engineering department, I accepted because I was trying to get myself into the US market.
I know it's a risk but I wanted to try to avoid any issues that's why I was trying to keep only one TN at a time to avoid any problems. My I-94 is ending on July 1st and I also wanted to try to avoid any penalties if I overstay. If I try to reapply with original employer I don't know how much time I have right now (?) as my I-94 is almost ended. (date stamp in the form July 1st) but I know I won't get that far with this employer as full-time job.
That’s why I was planning to return to Canada to wait there for the results, I already went to job search and several interviews, I expected to have an answer of the other potential employers sooner two week ago but face to face interviews were delays and happened just this week that is ending, so I will have to wait until one or two weeks to get the final results. I am confident I will get the other job, I meet the requirements for the job category, I guess what worries me more are questions concerning ties to Canada as I will enter the country and then shortly tries to leave again to work in the states.

Thanks for your help and advice. Any thoughts concerning that are very welcomed.

Regards,

Josep

I am new to this I don't know the procedure fill a I-539 by mail, besides that I am close to the date my TN expires. I wonder if it would be more advisable to return to Canada and wait there.
Thanks,

Josep

Josep, stop rambling on repeating the same questions in 2 threads.

What were you doing this past week instead of getting your new TN

Sounds like he's SOL at this point - it's now July 1st and it soundes like he didn't get the I-129 in to CIS on time. Now he has to get a B2 or leave. I don't understand what he's saying about the place he works. Is it a steady full-time job with with a paycheck? Either way, tough it out until you get the next job. Where are you getting the information about I-94 refusals?

BTW....as far as those other jobs go...good luck. Once you leave the country they will be far more reluctant to hire you if you can't get to the interview quickly.

A common misconception is that they will deny you your 2nd TN because you had one previously. Many people have been on TN's for years. I was on a TN for like 7 or 8 years. I know people that were on greater then 10. I never once had an issue getting a new TN because I had a bunch before.

They will deny your 2nd, 3rd etc if they feel it doesn't meet the requirements though...