TN visa Engineering Category

iBlis

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of preparing my documents for TN visa, Although I haven't received my job roles and responsibilities letter from my company but had few concerns about it. Just a brief on my background, I did my Btech from India in Electronics and Communication and worked for 2 years in India. Then I did my Masters of Sciences in Telecommunication from US.
Currently my Job roles and responsibilities align with that of Site Reliability Engineer but my job tittle is that of a Software Engineer. I do write code (but to make my life easier at work)

Will this be an issue? What can I do to make my case stronger at Port of Entry?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of preparing my documents for TN visa, Although I haven't received my job roles and responsibilities letter from my company but had few concerns about it. Just a brief on my background, I did my Btech from India in Electronics and Communication and worked for 2 years in India. Then I did my Masters of Sciences in Telecommunication from US.
Currently my Job roles and responsibilities align with that of Site Reliability Engineer but my job tittle is that of a Software Engineer. I do write code (but to make my life easier at work)

Will this be an issue? What can I do to make my case stronger at Port of Entry?

Thanks in advance for your response.
The reason for concern was after reading this post : https: //forums.immigration.com/threads/mechanical-engineer-wanting-to-apply-for-a-software-engineering-position.347166/

Any help would be appreciated.

The tn visa is for Canadian, USA and Mexican citizens, the visa its not granted at the Port of entry and your documents needs to match with your background.

Hi @Chacal0423

Thank you for the response, I am a Canadian Citizen.. Also I believe that TN visa is granted at the border by CBP agents. (POE -> Port of Entry).
My concern is around that my Bachelors and Masters are not specifically in Computer Engineering, the nature of my job closely aligns with Computer Engineering.

A. Is this an issue, or am I overthinking?
B. If my Job roles and responsibilities align with some of Bachelors and Masters course work does that help? And How would I be show casing that?
C. Does my experience with the company (I have been with the same company for 7 years) help?

@nelsona Sorry to tag you, But your insights have helped a lot of other members, Can you please help.

A. It is an issue. For CSA, if you don;t have a directly related degree, you need a related North American diploma and 3 years documented experience.
B. It will help, but you will need tp prove your case to the officer, along with your lettrs of experience.
C. See B

The reference to TN visa is for a consular visa for non-Cdns (ie. Mexicans). At the border you get TN status.

@nelsona thank you for your response.
Are you suggesting that in my case it would be better to apply under CSA category rather than engineering?

You aren't eligible for Engineering TN, so I guess CSA is the only possible category.

My understanding is that CBP will not even look at education from a non-North American institute, unless it's been evaluated by one of the companies authorized to do that. (Like getting a certified copy of a translated document). Have you done the evaluation?

Once you have that evaluation, it's got to match the category you're applying for. Rule of thumb is "engineer" should have "engineer" on the diploma, and "CSA" should have "computer" on the diploma. if it doesn't, you're not automatically rejected... but you've got to persuade the officer that the majority of content in your degree is still applicable for that category.

Your internal job title is mostly irrelevant. You're applying for "Computer Systems Analyst" category. The old school standard for CSA duties is in the OOH: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm#tab-2 ... so ... prepare your material to aggrandize the job duties that match up, and demote the duties which fall outside.

overall your situation is not hopeless, but it seems iffy. You're probably best off hiring an experience TN lawyer to give you a realistic chance of success.

However, to use diploma + experience for CSA, which would work much easier than proving education match for CSA or Engineering, the diploma MUST be N American -- doesn't matter if it is evaluated or not.

So as Grant states, you are going to sink or swim on somehow making the case that your course load qualifies you as CSA.