TN Visa Eligibility

DreddX

Registered Users (C)
I see in the list of eligible jobs for a TN visa that "Management Consultant" is listed.

I am currently applying for an account manager position with a company and have been told that the position would have to be redefined as a "Management Consultant" in order to be valid for TN visa purposes.

Is this accurate? How flexible is the definition of Management Consultant?

Thanks in advance.

I see in the list of eligible jobs for a TN visa that "Management Consultant" is listed.

I am currently applying for an account manager position with a company and have been told that the position would have to be redefined as a "Management Consultant" in order to be valid for TN visa purposes.

Is this accurate? How flexible is the definition of Management Consultant?

Thanks in advance.

There is never a requirement for a firm to name a post exactly the same as a TN category. The job description is what matters.

However, one must remember that for Management consultant, the principle of the position being supernumerary is key. This means not simply renaming amn internal position, but creating/filling a position OUTSIDE the normal organization. So an MC would hardly be filling an existing 'position' in the company -- renamed or not.

Thank you for the insight.

The job I am applying for is basically a sales job/account management role working for a consumer electronics company selling to major retailers such as Circuit City or Best Buy.

Do you think this would fall within the application positions under the TN visa?

Thank you again.

Sales is not a TN job. Do you have documented experience that you helped other companies in this field? That is what an MC needs.

The border officers would probably see thru this pretty easily.

I've only done sales jobs before, so to answer your question, no.

If I wouldn't be eligible for a TN visa, is there anyother visa that may be more suitable?

I should clarify that I am currently in the US on an L1A and want to leave my current company without having to leave the country for any extended period of time.

Sales jobs are not permitted on TN. If you have a degree you can get a sales job on H1, but there are no H1's available until Oct 200-EIGHT.