Tn visa aspirant jan 2021

Auto_art

Hello all

I am Canadian national with my education from India. I had three years of diploma in engineering plus three years of bachelor's ( the rule there isbyoubget into second year of Bachelor). I also have my valid professional engineer license from APEGA. I am offered to move in California. Title has engineer in it, not software though.

My stream is wireless network engineering.

Anyone here had experience with three years Bachelor? Looking at all those comments it is making me feel nervous. Feel free to comment if anyone had similar credentials and experience in facing CBP.

2. I already applied to get visa through consulate but everything is closed and tgey gave me date in july. But i am joining un February 2021. Would that be a issue if i show up at POE?

Thanks

Why would you apply for a visa if you are a Canadian citizen? Canadian citizens don't need, and thus never get, most types of nonimmigrant visas including TN.

Why would you apply for a visa if you are a Canadian citizen? Canadian citizens don't need, and thus never get, most types of nonimmigrant visas including TN.

The reason for me to apply tn visa in consulate because of two reason as below.

1. Td for non Canadian spouse which is only available through consulate
2. Avoid hassles of nom getting one on airport and risk of lossing current job.

Consulates will not process TN visa, unless you are in a distant land and cannot easily apply at the border.
They will only process TD once you get TN.

please get your tn1 visa first, then next day drive with your spouse, spouse can be from any nationality for td visa.

I am hoping get some advise on a TN category dilemma I have,
- I am PhD chemist with clinical research experience and perform clinical SAS programming. I have an job offer in US as SAS programmer and wondering what category I should request under for a TN
- This is the first time I will be applying for TN what documents I should carry?
- Do I need anything specific from my employer?

It must be Chemist. It cannot be any computer-related category like CSA, nor research assistant, as you do not have the educational background for that. Experience does not count.

@nelsona, I am currently on EAD (L2) and working as a clinical SAS programmer from last 4 years, however that is going to expire now. I most recent degree is business administration and my current role do have some responsibilities around clients. Do you think that will be a better path, showing business degree along with current work experience.
I came across a few TN visa holders, who do not have computer degrees but they did get TN. Their perspective is, CBP officer asked them about their experience and that is what helped them?
Also do we need to certify our foreign degrees? PhD etc.? they all are in English and got my business administration admission with them?
Thank you in Advance!

So, when posting , you need to present sufficient details. This *might* qualify you for Management Consultant (which can include experience), but still not for any computer-type position. Programming is not permitted on TN.
Other than for Management consultant, experience can only be counted in a narrow range of cases, and in almost all cases the post-secondary diploma (not a degree) must have been obtained in N America).

You would need to ask at the border.

Thank you @nelsona for the suggestions. I need to check with the employer if they are willing to provide job category that may qualify for one of the TN categories. The job duties certainly match my skill set (gained through my education) but the dept. I was hired in do not have 'titles' that fits my educational background.
is the requirement for post-secondary diploma is must even we have a N. American degree? also do we need to include all these degrees in the offer letter? or employment letter? or is it okay to include only the duration, job category, job duties and brief company profile? and carry the transcripts and copies and original degrees with us to the border?
Also what do you mean by 'ask at the border' - are you suggesting I should call and ask? is it okay to do so?
Thank you for your patience.

please get your tn1 visa first, then next day drive with your spouse, spouse can be from any nationality for td visa.
Is it possible to get TD visa for non Canadian passport holders if spouse has TN?

I got my TN in November 2020 but still waiting for my wife's Canadian citizenship. On other end US consulate is super slow and TD appointment is in May/June 2021.

I thought Border is not processing TD for non Canadian .

Nelsona & other experts,we already discussed this before. Any comments?

I am trying to post my detailed experience from sweetgrass, MT but the forum does not let me do that.

In short, words carry your originals degree plus equivalency. all docs must be originals do not take risk of email offer letters CBP may give you hard time. took one hour, Sweetgrass, MT works 8-4 M-F. take credit cards. always call before you visit. Also, notify the employer to receive calls from CBP the day you are in there. I put resign from my current company only after securing the TN.

there were not many questions asked by CBP just general what kind of engineer I am etc.

I am trying to post my detailed experience from sweetgrass, MT but the forum does not let me do that.

In short, words carry your originals degree plus equivalency. all docs must be originals do not take risk of email offer letters CBP may give you hard time. took one hour, Sweetgrass, MT works 8-4 M-F. take credit cards. always call before you visit. Also, notify the employer to receive calls from CBP the day you are in there. I put resign from my current company only after securing the TN.

there were not many questions asked by CBP just general what kind of engineer I am etc.

may I ask if you were in US before going to Sweetgrass? Did you do a COVID test?

Hello, I am also thinking to use Sweetgrass POE to get first time TN visa. Sweetgrass POE is busy for TN? how long it will take? Are they issue TD for family members? my daughter is 19 so will she elighble for TD? Please share your opinion and help me to get answer.

Hello, I am also thinking to use Sweetgrass POE to get first time TN visa. Sweetgrass POE is busy for TN? how long it will take? Are they issue TD for family members? my daughter is 19 so will she elighble for TD? Please share your opinion and help me to get answer.
There was no one when I went on monday morning. 8.30ish. no issue for TD I faced. Your family member should be able to get TD. Gentle reminder Non mention of any work for TD, TNbis temporary work. Ask you employer to prepare for receiving call from CBP.

OK, Thanks for your advice. Is there any issue for my daughter to get TD? She is19yrs and studying here in Canada but for the future study in US, we are thinking to get TD in advance.

Hello all

I am Canadian national with my education from India. I had three years of diploma in engineering plus three years of bachelor's ( the rule there isbyoubget into second year of Bachelor). I also have my valid professional engineer license from APEGA. I am offered to move in California. Title has engineer in it, not software though.

My stream is wireless network engineering.

Anyone here had experience with three years Bachelor? Looking at all those comments it is making me feel nervous. Feel free to comment if anyone had similar credentials and experience in facing CBP.

2. I already applied to get visa through consulate but everything is closed and tgey gave me date in july. But i am joining un February 2021. Would that be a issue if i show up at POE?

Thanks
Hi @Auto_art : Can you please update if you were able to get the TN Visa, i am in same boat 3 years diploma and 3 years engineering from India. How did you show your education equivalency ?