TN/TD Application in a US Airport

aseke

Hi,

I have a question about the TN/TD application. Is it possible to make the TN/TD application in a US airport instead of a Canadian airport with a preclearance facility. In the case of preclearance facility you need to apply for the status while entering the area designated as US soil. The signs welcomes you to the USA once you passed the passport control exactly like when you pass the passport control in a US airport. This made me think that whether it could be possible to make the TN/TD application within the USA?

Thanks,

Sure. As long as you are arriving from a foreign, non-Cdn destination. You can't just walk-in to the airport.

Thanks Nelsona. I would like to bring my family to the US and they are outside of US and Canada right now.

I have one more question. On the USCIS website the documents required for TD application are given as follows:
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship;
  • Proof of relationship to the TN nonimmigrant, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate;
  • Photocopies of the TN nonimmigrant’s admission documents; and
  • Proof the TN nonimmigrant is maintaining his or her TN nonimmigrant status.
The first two are obvious. But the last two are not that obvious to me.

What are copies of my admission documents? Do I need to provide copies of original TN letter, certificates etc. Or just a copy of my I 94?

What is the proof of maintainance of my TN nonimmigrant status? A letter from the company? A paystub? I have got my TN very recently as you proabably remember. Do I still need to send them these documents?

Thanks,

Your I-94 is your proof of status, along with a recent paystub.
The rest is your TN package, or I-129 submission, etc.

Internship, no. Volunteer: only for a volunteer organization, in a position that is never a paying one. This applies to all employment and dependent statuses.

Internship, no. Volunteer: only for a volunteer organization, in a position that is never a paying one. This applies to all employment and dependent statuses.
Thanks nelsona. I pharmacist friend trying to find internship in Blaine, WA commuting from Vancouver, BC but someone offer a unpaid internship so was the question.

From the state.gov website: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040217.html

4) Fellows/Interns: A TN visa can be issued for fellowships or internships only if the duties reflect a position that is truly at a professional level. If the applicant is seeking to work in a lesser capacity such as trainee or intern, in the sense of being a true novice, and therefore is not in fact working in the position listed in Appendix 1603.D.1, it is correct to refuse the applicant 214b. However, the application should not be refused solely because the title is "intern" if the duties are in fact at a professional level.

Your I-94 is your proof of status, along with a recent paystub.
The rest is your TN package, or I-129 submission, etc.

Nelsona I have one mor question. I have not yet received a pay check and my family is coming soon. So I asked HR to provide a verification of employment letter. They provided the letter but in it my job title is written. As I mentioned before I am working as a management accountant but the job title is Sr. Financial Analyst. I thought with an inexperienced officer this may at least create delay or stress. So I wanted them to take the job title out. And they said tell us what you want us to write in it.

What is enough in an employment verification letter written for the purpose of TD application? Is a one two sentence letter enough which states that this person has been a full time employee of our firm since this date? Would it be a problem to not write the job title? Or would it be good to state some other facts?

Thanks,

Nelsona I have one mor question. I have not yet received a pay check and my family is coming soon. So I asked HR to provide a verification of employment letter. They provided the letter but in it my job title is written. As I mentioned before I am working as a management accountant but the job title is Sr. Financial Analyst. I thought with an inexperienced officer this may at least create delay or stress. So I wanted them to take the job title out. And they said tell us what you want us to write in it.
Nelsona + I disagree on this necessity to carry "proof of employment" (Paystub, HR letter, whatever) when crossing into USA on a TN-1 permit.

No one myself or my lawyers have ever worked with has actually had a border agent demand such proof.

However, in case you are worried, you could simply bring your very recently dated offer letter (aka TN support letter) with you. It would prove your employment as effectively as a paystub.

What is enough in an employment verification letter written for the purpose of TD application? Is a one two sentence letter enough which states that this person has been a full time employee of our firm since this date? Would it be a problem to not write the job title? Or would it be good to state some other facts?

BTW, I understand that applying for a TD is a different issue than simply re-entering the USA on a TN-1 permit.

However, in my completely uneducated opinion, I still believe presenting your original support letter (assuming it's so recent you haven't received your first pay stub) would be sufficient.

However, if you feel most comfortable with a confirmation of employment letter from your company, my uneducated suggestion:

1. Yes, confirmation of the employee's name + his start date
2. Why would they balk at using the same job title on the confirmation letter as they used on their offer letter / letter of support?
3. Don't volunteer unnecessary facts.

Thanks Grant. I send my wife a copy of the original TN Letter and a new verification letter from the HR without the job title.

Intern would need to be paid, ie. professional. Otherwise they are novice.

Most new hires are issued some form of ID. use whatever top answer the question: are you working? I'm not going to get hung up on a particular type. Just have an answer.
Since TDs are typically granted even before TN employments starts, I wouldn't be too worried. Just have an answer.