TN Status Transfer at POE - Checklist

arun2681

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am comtemplating a new job offer.

I am thinking of going to the border (Buffalo New York) to transfer the TN status to the new company.

The following is the checklist of documentation required according to my understanding:

1) I-129 form
2) Standard offer letter
3) NAFTA authorization letter
4) Academic Degree Transcripts
5) Previous employment reference letters
6) previous paystubs
7) Resume
8) Proof of ties outside US
9) Canadian Passport

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Arun

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a transfer - it's just a new TN. So your letter should reflect that - it shouldn't say anything about a transfer. It should just be an offer letter as though you were getting a job anywhere else except with the standard terms and conditions required for a TN offer.

Other than that you should fine.

What's a NAFTA Authorization letter? Never hear of that.

According to my understanding, the NAFTA Authorization letter is different from the standard employment offer letter (a letter given to an employee whether an American or overseas citizen). It has the folllowing components:

1) Background of employer/employee
2) Responsibilities (should include some of the task lists in the specific TN category)
3) Should indicate the employment term is only for one year

Cheers,

Your list is FAR too long.

You need a NAFTA letter, proof of education, and that is it.

no need for foreign ties (TN doesnt require this), No resume or letters of reference (your not applying for the job, just getting a status), no paystubs (why?), I-129 is for a mail-in.
Even Cdn passport is optional at land crossings for now, but it is a good I-94 holder.

You give us the impression you already have a TN. If so, how did you get your first one?

Consider that you are ending your first TN, and requesting a new TN. I have done this before, and I simply don't even mention my previous TN. I return my I-94 card as I leave the US... and after my 1 week vacation to visit parents, I return to the border with a fresh new TN request package. TN's aren't transferable, and I-129 is for something entirely different (to renew an existing TN without much change to original details, certainly not a company change).

You are in perfect shape - all you have to do is remove some stuff from your list :)

I-129 is for something entirely different (to renew an existing TN without much change to original details, certainly not a company change).

Huh? You certainly can get a new TN by I-129 (the form says so) with a new employer.

I-129 is simply for mail-in TN (new or extended) when one is already in US. It has nothing to do with what your current status is , so long as you have one (even tourist B2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for their input.

For my first TN, I went to the border with the help of a lawyer. He collected all the paperwork for me, I was "spoon fed" by him.

But, this time I am planning to do it myself to avoid the lawyer fee.

I wasn't sure whether I needed the I-129 for the border or not.

Hi Nelsona,

You mean to say they have already started issuing the TN for 3 years? I thought according to the other post, it is yet to be finalized by and published on the USCIS website.

Thanks,

when published in the Federal Register. That will be in the next few days. By the time you are renewing it will be a done deal.

The letter should say 3 years of course.

My renewal is also coming by the end of October and just wondering whether asking for 3 years in the employment letter will cause any trouble while considering the economic conditions. Or is there a way I can request for three years if everything goes well at the POE without mentioning on the letter

We are in a bit of a holding pattern. If you ask for three and they say your not allowed three, you might be stuck.

I would ask for three if mailing an I-129. For border i would make sure the regs have been issued and take a copy with me.

I would say take both letter with you, hand over one year letter and ask politely that if they process the 3 years, if officer says yes he will do it. then give him 3 years letter ;)
:D

Shyboy,

Good thinking. Actually, take both letters and first ask if they are doing the 3 year TN's. If they are not then give them the one year letter.

Just remember, left pocket or the right pocket.