TN status renewal concerns

Geckko

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

Thanks for hosting these forums. They've answered quite a few of my questions up to this point.

I'm currently working in the US under a TN status, and are about to request that the status be extended for 3 years. I'm here as a 'Systems Analyst'.

I do not have a degree, but have a post secondary diploma with 9 years experience. In the description for this category they described that a 2 year post secondary diploma is required (along with 3 years experience). My diploma was for 12 months continuous and at the border they deemed that as equal to 2 years. In your opinion, do you think that does in fact qualify me? Do you think there's a fair chance that the person processing the extension will deny it?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: added in the experience req'd for correctness

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when you don't categorically meet the requirements, then you are relying on 'interpretation' of the officer. I seem to recall that some mail-in I-129s are being rejected recently for this very reason: 1-yr is not 2-yrs.

So, yes, there is a chance for denial.

But, you have little choice buut go to border, as it is more likely that your will be denied by mail then at border.

Hi there,

Thanks for hosting these forums. They've answered quite a few of my questions up to this point.

I'm currently working in the US under a TN status, and are about to request that the status be extended for 3 years. I'm here as a 'Systems Analyst'.

I do not have a degree, but have a post secondary diploma with 9 years experience. In the description for this category they described that a 2 year post secondary diploma is required. My diploma was for 12 months continuous and at the border they deemed that as equal to 2 years. In your opinion, do you think that does in fact qualify me? Do you think there's a fair chance that the person processing the extension will deny it?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any experience but I would recommend get evaluation done in the USA.

Ok, I'm also here with my wife and 3 children. Is it an option to go to the border myself, then mail in their i-539 forms after the fact?

Do you think an immigration lawyer could help me present a better case by mail?

At this time there is no point worrying about your family's status; YOURS is the main concern now.

You want to draw as little attention to your lack of credentials as possible (an evaluation could be done for your own benefit, but the 2-yr requirement seems to be gaining legitimacy). You want to present the same papers you did last year, emphasizing that you have the diploma rather than its length.

By mail, I believe you may be setting yourself up for failure, since thwey can take their time to notice the deficiency (like I said above) rather than being rushed thru a truck stop.

Ok, I'll head to the border as soon as I can and respond with my experience. Thanks for the insight.

To follow up, I went to the border and got a new TN without any issues. Guess I didn't need to worry after all!

I was happy to have remembered that a TN can't be extended at the border though, and had a revised version of my employer's letter drawn up in advance, reflecting a new TN.

Thanks again!

To follow up, I went to the border and got a new TN without any issues. Guess I didn't need to worry after all!

I was happy to have remembered that a TN can't be extended at the border though, and had a revised version of my employer's letter drawn up in advance, reflecting a new TN.

Thanks again!

Which POE did you use?

I went to Ogdensburg, NY. It's important to note that my education requirements concerns weren't an issue not due to the officer overlooking those details, but because I did in fact meet those requirements.

as was stated earlier, the officer is using his discredtion to deem your 12-month diploma as satisfying the educational requirements. It has not always been the case for some applicants, and could be different next time for you.

Fortunately you won't have to face this for 3-years, unless you change jobs.

I'd keep going back to that POE.

Agreed, although in 3 years I'll have my Comp Sci degree completed so it will be a non issue. I also forgot to correct my post above in that it actually was a 16 month continuous course (which may have made their decision easier).

I was just trying to avoid labelling that POE as one that doesn't verify those credentials at all, creating a situation where people go without even being close to meeting the reqs and suggest that "it's been done for others".

I was just trying to avoid labelling that POE as one that doesn't verify those credentials at all, creating a situation where people go without even being close to meeting the reqs and suggest that "it's been done for others".
Well said

I got my first two TN's in 1996 (first job didn't pan out) and then many subsequent ones as a Scientific Technician in Ogdensburg. They were used to dealing many people from Ottawa and as long as everything looked good you were through. I don't have a technician's diploma but I had a solid package.

Webtiger,

Might be worth a call to see if it's worth trying again.

I got my first two TN's in 1996 (first job didn't pan out) and then many subsequent ones as a Scientific Technician in Ogdensburg. They were used to dealing many people from Ottawa and as long as everything looked good you were through. I don't have a technician's diploma but I had a solid package.

Webtiger,

Might be worth a call to see if it's worth trying again.
Well, that POE is on the other side of the country from me.....
I had enough grief with the jackals on the WA/BC border not really interested in re-visiting ANY POE without a 4 yr degree in my pocket

webtiger

So what's your next move?

Where do you stand on the issue at this point?

Any movement on the degree?

webtiger

So what's your next move?

Where do you stand on the issue at this point?

Any movement on the degree?

1. Taking Computer Information Systems degree at University Fraser Valley in Abbotsford BC.

2. Well, I need the degree if I were to ever consider working in the US so my stance is I'm staying in Canada. I'm all done with dealing with the under educated overbearing USCBP officers.

3. I'm working on the degree now. It's not easy dealing with the financial fallout from having to abruptly leave a country in the midst of the worst recession in 55 years. I've been unable to sell my house, even with a short sale, and I've been unable to find work in Software Quality Assurance in Canada so I had to declare bankruptcy in the US.
Currently I'm surviving on combination of WA State EI and Canada Student Loans.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should have voluntarily packed up and left on my own timetable in the Summer of 2006 at least I would have been able to sell the house and pocket 25,000 to 40,000 from the sale.

webtiger,

sorry to hear about all of that. But last time we spoke you sort of hinted it was all going in that direction.

How long before you can complete the degree?

webtiger,

sorry to hear about all of that. But last time we spoke you sort of hinted it was all going in that direction.

How long before you can complete the degree?

With the work experience credits and course challenges I have to do it will be
18 months to 2 years if I just go to school. 3 to 3 1/2 years if I get lucky and find a full time job.
I have successfully challenged 2 of 8 courses in the past 4 1/2 months I plan on writing challenges to another 4 over the summer and the last 2 during the Fall term.
I'm finding the return to school after 15 years absence to be a real challenge. :mad:

Ya, I hear you about going back......not mention being the ehem....older....oops should I say more "seasoned" students in the class.