TN status & accepting new employment

adelkam

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am currently on TN, and received another job offer. What is the best approach with least risk to switch employer? I understand that I can obtain another TN, preferrably from a point of entry before I quit my first job. Is there any risks in case the new TN has been rejected for whatever reason at that time, then I will not be able to enter the USA using the current TN. If rejected and will continue with my current job, any issue regarding the future renewal of my current TN by mail as my present employer always does because of previous denial of other TN? Would my present employer get informed by my trials to obtain the new TN? which may threaten my employment with them, specially if I couldn't get the second one.

Any feedback?

Thanks

You are overthinking this.

Unless youare personally no longer admissable, due to criminal record or immigrant intent, then failure to get a 2nd TN will not affect your current TN.

If it fails, of course, don't say something stupid like "Well, I got my current TN with exactly the same documantation/evidence/letter". At that point they would say that they obviously made a mistake the first time, and rip out your TN. If they deny your new TN, listen for the reason, politely accept it, and have the problem corrected.

In any event, the POE don't contact anyone at any company to report a denial.

follow up

Thanks for the informative reply!

I have two follow up questions:

1) The new employer indicates that after getting the TN, he would file H1B Visa on April 2008. Since the response will not be before April 2009, he will keep renewing the TN. I thought this may impact the future renewal of TN (?). Any expectation on the probable scenario/timings?

2) When apply for the 2nd TN, is it mandatory to apply for an associated new TD for my souse?

Thanks again

1. He would not "indicate" this on a TN application, so how would thisimpact getting future TNs. You can be on TN for years.

2. No. If it is inconvenient for her to go to border with you she can go later. But she will need to renew her TD at some point

Getting a second TN

If I am currently working under TN in USA, can my second employer apply for a *new* TN for me (while I am in USA)

Complete the TN documentation and create a valid TN Visa application (letter and supporting docs) for the 2nd employment job.

Then go to Canada, cross the border back to the U.S. and apply for your 2nd TN Visa.

But I thought the second employer can do the process through the mail, without I cross the border? Is this possible?

Yes they can do a 2nd TN by mail for a different employer since you're in the US in a valid status but.....
You cannot start the 2nd job until you get the 2nd TN so the question becomes....
"How soon do you need the 2nd TN?"
You could add $1000 for Premuim Processing the 2nd TN but you're still looking at weeks through the mail instead of same day service at the border.