TN Renewal

ottawan11

Registered Users (C)
Hi
MY Tn is expiring in couple of weeks and I am planning to renew it before that via crossing the Michigan border
My wife's TD is valid for another year She is not a Canadian
Do we need to do anything for her visa just after I renew my TN ?
The new TN , should it start just the next day of my current TN expiration?
Thank you

Hi
MY Tn is expiring in couple of weeks and I am planning to renew it before that via crossing the Michigan border
My wife's TD is valid for another year She is not a Canadian
Do we need to do anything for her visa just after I renew my TN ?
The new TN , should it start just the next day of my current TN expiration?
Thank you

Till you are in status her visa is good, so do not need to worry till her visa is good. You can send her papers by mail depending the state you live in as I remember.

Application for TD extension for spouse/child
List of documents to support
1. Copy of employer TN letter
2. Form I-539
3. Copy of your passport photo
4. Copy of your I-94
6. Copy of marriage certificate
7. Copy of spouse passport photo
8. Copy of dependent child I-94
9. Copy of birth certificate
10. Copy of child passport photo
11. Child passport page if it has parents name
12. Copy of child TD visa
13. Fee: Check $290

Not the best advice.

While her Visa might still be good, her I-94, which is the document that determines her status, expires at the same time as your TN (check the date on her I-94). As such, she MUST renew her TD regardless of the date on her visa. She can do this by mail, however, since you are going to the border, it would be much simpler to have her come with you and get I-94 at same time as you.

Your border TN (and her TD) will start the day you go to border. They neither post-date nor back-date at the border.

As to mailing in, all that is required is your I-94 for TN, and her identification/relationship documents, which MUST include the marrige certificate (which kite forgot), and does not require any other information from your TN (like TN letter -- ??), or your ID. In any event, you can read the instructions for I-539. But just go to the border together, much simpler.

Thanks for answering
Her I 94 is also valid for at least 8 months because she left the country and came back a few months ago.
So does she need to do anything until her I94 expires?
Crossing the border is not an option at the moment

Not the best advice.

While her Visa might still be good, her I-94, which is the document that determines her status, expires at the same time as your TN (check the date on her I-94). As such, she MUST renew her TD regardless of the date on her visa. She can do this by mail, however, since you are going to the border, it would be much simpler to have her come with you and get I-94 at same time as you.

Your border TN (and her TD) will start the day you go to border. They neither post-date nor back-date at the border.

As to mailing in, all that is required is your I-94 for TN, and her identification/relationship documents, which MUST include the marrige certificate (which kite forgot), and does not require any other information from your TN (like TN letter -- ??), or your ID. In any event, you can read the instructions for I-539. But just go to the border together, much simpler.

My visa is expiring on Oct 12th and if I cross border on 8th , should the offer letter state employment beginning date as 12th or 8th ?
Thank you

Not the best advice.

ottawan11, since your TN is expiring on Oct 12th, how does your spouse have a TD that expires later that that? I would be checking this carefully.

Your TN letter, as has always been the advice here, should not have a start date. It should be dated current, but the start date for a border petition is meaningless, since it ALWAYS starts the day you cross the border, and thus putting can only cause confusion. The letter should simply state a duration of three years or less.

Her TD is valid for another year, thats what she got from consulate while bringing my canadian passport and tn 94 card with her druing the visa appointment, maybe the officer wanted to give extra time for her but her TD is 1 more year valid then my TN , that's for sure.
And her I94 is valid also at least 10 months
???

ottawan11, since your TN is expiring on Oct 12th, how does your spouse have a TD that expires later that that? I would be checking this carefully.

Your TN letter, as has always been the advice here, should not have a start date. It should be dated current, but the start date for a border petition is meaningless, since it ALWAYS starts the day you cross the border, and thus putting can only cause confusion. The letter should simply state a duration of three years or less.

Don't know what to tell you, except that if I were in your shoes, I would be taking my spouse with me to the border to get her TD to match my TN. But, technically, as long as she has an "unexpired" TD and you have a valid TN, then she is fine.

If she doesn't go now however, she will need to go at some point between now and 10 months from now.

She doesnt have Canadian Visa ,She cannot enter Canada,when you say take my wife to the border, can we just go to the US border station without leaving US?

Don't know what to tell you, except that if I were in your shoes, I would be taking my spouse with me to the border to get her TD to match my TN. But, technically, as long as she has an "unexpired" TD and you have a valid TN, then she is fine.

If she doesn't go now however, she will need to go at some point between now and 10 months from now.

Ah. You (again) would need to contact the actual office. But entry into US inplies exit out of US, so it is doubtful that she would be issued new TD without first going out through Cdn border. I guess she will simply have to send in an I-539. Or go through mexico.

It is useful to present ALL vital information when you post your questions.