TN Renewal with a self-petitioned I140

vivian123

Hi,

I'll be up for the TN renewal soon and I have an approved self-peitioned I140. My PD is not current but will be close to be current at the time of renewal. I talked to a few lawyers and they gave me different answers regarding whether I can get a new TN under this situation. I wonder if anyone was able to successfully get a new TN with an approved self-petitioned I140? Thanks!

First off, self-petitioned I-140 is rare, so don't wait for any first-hand experience.

Your I-140 is no different than any others, so you follow the same steps as any other TNer with an approved I-140: you ensure that you file I-485 Or switch to consular processing with at least 6 months left on TN.

First off, self-petitioned I-140 is rare, so don't wait for any first-hand experience.

Your I-140 is no different than any others, so you follow the same steps as any other TNer with an approved I-140: you ensure that you file I-485 Or switch to consular processing with at least 6 months left on TN.
Thanks for the suggestions. "switch to consular processing with at least 6 months left on TN", I wonder if 6 months left on TN is the hard cutoff? My attorney checked "change of status" on my I140. My plan is to apply for TN extension when there's 6 month left on my current TN, and if not successful, I'll try to change to consular processing. Do you think it will cause any issues by doing that?

Either way, make sure that you renew your TN before I-485 if you have less than 6 months left on current TN. This gives you time to get EAD to continue working. read over the thread at the top of this forum.