Tn renewal time by mail

danycanuck

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My renewal TN APP was received on June 20, 2011. How long does it take to receive approval?.. Any recent experiences on this ?

Thanks

Is it Premium Processing?

Hi,

My renewal TN APP was received on June 20, 2011. How long does it take to receive approval?.. Any recent experiences on this ?

Thanks

In May 2011 my wife got TN1 approved in 5 days by mail, but went for premium processing. That extra $1250 saved a lot of headaches.......

Mine was received on may 31st on VSC and besides the receipt, we have not heard anything else yet. This was with standard processing

Anybody else with a recent experience ??

I sent my TN renewal for regular processing and it was received on june 20 2011.

Does anybody else have a more recent experience? Ours (Me & Family) were received on May 31st and besides the receipt we have not heard anything else.

Our visas expired on July 1st so it's been over 60 days passed expiry date and well over 90 from receipt. I checked on the status tracker site on USCIS but it still shows initial review for both our cases. It also says the proccesing time it's 2 months at VSC as of June 30, 2011... So anybody else with current experience? I know we could stay up 240 days after expiry while pending but I also read We would be considered to have stayed out of status from expiry date if denied.

I'm just getting a little anxious I guess.

Case status reference:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard.do

Takes time, this is GC and H1 season.

You will not be considered out-of-status for the period upto denial notice, so relax.

Well another 30 days have gone. Is there any 1 800 number to call? Just trying to get some answer before the holidays so we can travel. If we do get out of the country, will we need to renew our visas at a Consulate? If so, then the earliest the better for us as we need to schedule an appointment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I assume you are mexican. If you do not get your I-129 approved before you go, you will ahve to apply for the TN at consulate, as you need TN approval to get Visa (yes, you will need visa for re-entry).
You would need visa even if your I-129 is approved (asuming you previous Visa has expired).
In effect, your I-129 petition will have served only to keep you in legal status while in US, and does not circumvent Consular Visa process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat. I sent my docs (I-129) for visa extension on June 20, 2011. I was thinking to call customer service, but my application was sent by an immigration lawyer. Would they talk to me in this case? I also checked the processing time for Vermont Service Center and it says May 22, 2011. Does that mean that they process applications sent / received at that date? I've read that one can still pay the premium processing fee. I think it is $1200.00. Is that per person or per family?

I am also thinking of changing companies. What's your thought about applying for a new visa with a new company while waiting for the actual one to be approved. I'm thinking of doing by mail and pay the premium processing fee instead of going to the border.

Thanks

I don't see the point either of you would premium your existing extensions at this point. neither of you are close to 240 day expiry, and can much more cheaply get TN outside country without I-129 approval.

If you are Mexican, whether you get I-129 approval or not, you will need Consular visa, during which process they would process your TN petition anyways. having an approved i-129 is nice at this point, but completely unnecessary.

If you are Cdn, whether you get approval or not, you can get a TN at the border for $50, when you re-enter. having an approved I-129 as you re-enter only saves you the hassle of bringing your original docs, and $50.

Your I-129 petitions have served their initial purpose (ie. to keep you legal). Now, once you leave the country, there is a simpler and cheaper process for getting new TN, rather than paying $1200 for extending the old one.

As to applying for a new I-129 at this point, I guess that would be OK. make sure the time link between your old TN, the I-129 extension petition, and the new I-129 is crystal clear. You would definitely premium the new I-129 (or go to border) in this case, just o get it over with quickly.

So, if I understand right, does that mean even if I get an approved I-129 for 3 year period, I will still need to get a consular visa every year with the same risk of rejection as the first time? That was exactly what we were trying to avoid, as we can't even get much of our local paperwork done (getting a car registered for an example) as they won't issue a DL without an I-94 & Visa for a period of less than a year, last year's was valid for 364 days and they called that not a 1 year period up here.

Besides that my employer doesn't really like the uncertainty of possible loosing me without notice every year. They are willing to do the process for a GC but, is it less than a 1 year period enough time to get this thru LCA, I-140 so we can submit I-485, I-765 (EAD) & I-131 (AP). If current TN expires before I-140 approved, how can we extend legal status and be able to get out and back in to the country? Another I-129 on TN and be forced to stay 'til I-485 is current and we get EAD & AP?

:(

Thank you for your answer Nelsona.
One more question though. When the I-129 gets approved do they send an I-94?

The I-94 is attached to approval.

The problem is the one year visa from consulate . Us consulate should be issuing 3-year visas, like they do for non-Cdn TD spouses everywhere else.

You could probably get a 3-year TN visa at a Cdn consulate.

The I-94 is attached to approval.

The problem is the one year visa from consulate . Us consulate should be issuing 3-year visas, like they do for non-Cdn TD spouses everywhere else. The 3 year I-129 really is of little use unless you never leave US.

You could probably get a 3-year TN visa at a Cdn consulate.

Thanks for the quick answer Nelsona.

I just have a few more questions, my employer doesn't really like the uncertainty of possible loosing me without notice every year. They are willing to do the process for a GC but, is it less than a 1 year period enough time to get this thru LCA, I-140 so we can submit I-485, I-765 (EAD) & I-131 (AP). If current TN expires before I-140 approved, how can we extend legal status and be able to get out and back in to the country? Another I-129 on TN and be forced to stay 'til I-485 is current and we get EAD & AP?

Any ideas?

This has been covered many times here, so I will not rehash. Only the filing of I-485 makes you ineligible for TN.

You may file I-140 anytime, but I-485 is governed by quota, but that does not matter. You stay on TN until you file I-485, etc, andthen switch to EAD until GC approved.