TN - Renew by Mail for first time

rschroeter

Registered Users (C)
I have a few questions about filling out the I-129.
I am also educating my employer about it so that we can avoid having to wait until the last day of the year (and do it at a POE). I am extending by mail for the first time. I have had multiple TN's in the past, as well as concurrent TN's for the past 2 years. I have no dependents. All I have is two I-94's stapled in my passport. My current I-94 expires on Jan 1, 2009.

Here are my questions related to the I-129 form.

1. Regarding PARTs and Questions which are N/A, [Example: Part 4 Q1]: do I leave blank, or write N/A in each box?

2. Regarding questions which have YES NO boxes - and my answer is N/A. Do I leave these blank, or check [NO].

3. I am a Systems Analyst - what should I write for [Nontechnical Job Description] (Part 5, Q2)?

4. If I submit the following items, am I missing anything?

a. Completed [Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker]
b. Completed [Nonimmigrant Classification Based on Free Trade Agreement-Supplement to form I-129]
c. Letter indicating reason for continuing employment, and reason for extension of stay, and newly requested length of stay.
d. Copy of I-94 departure record.

5. Should I apply for a replacement I-94?

If anyone has done the TTM (Through the Mail) TN Extension -can you help verify that this is what I need for it? This is my main question.

4. If I submit the following items, am I missing anything?

a. Completed [Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker]
b. Completed [Nonimmigrant Classification Based on Free Trade Agreement-Supplement to form I-129]
c. Letter indicating reason for continuing employment, and reason for extension of stay, and newly requested length of stay.
d. Copy of I-94 departure record.

This has been very informative, and a great place to share information about our common annual hurdles. I appreciate your help! I plan to check the forums on a regular basis to see if there is anything I can contribute as well.

c. This can be a standard TN letter, it may or may not talk about any reason for extension, although it doesn't hurt to add one line about 'adjusted business plan' or somesuch.

Make sure you ask for 3 YEARS now as, if you ask for one you will only get one.

You also should include a copy of your Passport, if you have one.

and a check.

I just spoke to a border officer at Peace Bridge and he said the TN's validity is still 1 year.

I think everyone is going to get different answers from different officers. Do it by mail and you probably won't have any problems. Don't forget that once you send it in by mail you're good for another 240 day in the US as long as you don't travel outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone is going to get different answers from different officers. Do it by mail and you probably won't have any problems. Donlt forget that once you send it in by mail you're good for another 240 day in the US as long as you don't travel outside.

Is there any sample I-129 (filled) form available somewhere which we can just see and dictate

Shyboy,

Just print one out from the USCIS Website and fill it in. Then wee how it looks.