TN Mail in services - what's possible?

Karsan

Registered Users (C)
My husband (the TN holder) and I (the TD holder) have been having this argument for a while now. I am positive (based on my readings of this forum) that you can have the following things done by the USCIS by mail either by regular or premium processing:

1) Get a new TN/TD (i.e. an additional TN/TD etc.)
2) Renew/extend an existing TN/TD

Am I correct?

Absolutely....I have done it by mail and by online.

The best way I have found to do this is as follows:

1. Fill out the I-129 for the TN extension or new employment - or whatever it is you are doing online and submit.

2. Once the I-129 is submitted, it will tell you where to send all of your required evidence (diploma, offer letter - he needs a new offer letter even if it's for a continuation of present employment).

3. Fill out I-539 (you cannot do this online) for the TD (s). Gather the info for this - don't forget to show a copy of your marriage certificate - passports and/or driver's licenses are not enough.

4. Once all of this is submitted, you are good to continue staying for 240 days until your new I-94's are sent to you.

5. If you need your I-94's ASAP (like for employment with a new company), then, yes you can pay the extra $ 1,000 for premium processing. If you are not traveling out of the country any time soon or it's just an extension of present employment, then why pay the extra money. If you do leave and then come back, you can get a new TN at the border when you return.

Remember - the new I-129 needs to be submitted before the present TN expires. As long as they receive it by the expiration date, you will be okay.

In addition to all of this, look at the posting yesterday and today by BrianG about his fiancee getting refused at the border for her TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
one more question

Are certified (notarized) copies of degree, marriage cert, etc ok?

I remember back in the day, with my initial TN app, the officer actually run his finger nails over the wax seal on my degree - I guess to see if it was a fake..

Thanks everyone. Perhaps a sticky post with this type of info might be useful? I have read both the CBC article and BrianG's post.

Both problems were out of BC and while I have heard of refusals in Ontario, BC seems to be a place to steer clear of as we also had a friend denied a TN at the Vancouver airport. In our friend's case, the only reason the guard seemed to deny him was that he didn't have a business card, not sure if he actually got a letter stating why he was denied. He went back two days later with a new letter and was given a TN and a much friendly response. Thankfully he had the full support of the company he worked for directly (contracting firm) and the on site company he worked for.

Many US border guards (all from Ontario and Manitoba) have in the past asked who pays my husband's check, the company or the contracting firm. Technically, he works by X company via contracting firm and he is paid by X company and the contracting company gets a cut, I believe. And we are always sure to say that we are returning to our temporary place of work and temporary residence. I think from now on we will be mailing it in, even if we have to pay for lawyers and processing fees etc.

Its a crap shoot these days! Let's just say we are doing all we can to get off of a TN.

Remember - the new I-129 needs to be submitted before the present TN expires. As long as they receive it by the expiration date, you will be okay.
In addition to all of this, look at the posting yesterday and today by BrianG about his fiancee getting refused at the border for her TN.

The article shown by BrianG was very much alarming! Our TN-TD is about to expire on 19th Apr. And, I was considering to go to the Border for the Renewal for few reasons :
- My consulting firm is extermely slow in the visa-immigration matters; and I was the first TN1 candidate for them. Also, they may not like spending Extra money and Extra work for their Part timer Legal-Admin department.
- Secondly, My Driving licence expires on 29th Apr. How would I renew it, until I receive the new I-94 from USCIS?
- Last but very important, in case of TN renewals thru Mails, People usually send their applications at least 2-3 months in advance. In my case, I would Only be able to send in my applications just before it Expires. Also, I Work in Fargo, ND which is around 2.5 hrs driving distance from the Border. Would the USCIS will have a problem with this situation?

Please advise me ASAP, as I have got very limited time with me. Can someone provide me the Link of how to apply I-129 online? Does my Employer need to fill up and send I129/I539 ? Or do I need to do this myself?