TN getting married

GeneralG

Registered Users (C)
Hi there, I'm Canadian getting married to USC.
I have learned that I need these documents to apply all at once after I get my marriage license.

1) I-130
2) I-485 Adjustment of status
3) G-325 Biographic information
4) I- 765 EAD
5) I- 131 AP
6) I- 864 affidavit of support.
7) Medical exam forms.

Am I missing something?
My company attorney said I might get my GC interview before the approval of the EAD, is that right?

Thank you

Looks about right if I remember. You will probably get your EAD a few weeks after sending in your AOS so most chances well before your GC interview. AP is usually around the same as the EAD as well, so those generally don't take long to get once everything is filed...

Looks about right if I remember. You will probably get your EAD a few weeks after sending in your AOS AP is usually around the same as the EAD as well, so those generally don't take long to get once everything is filed...

it is amazing that you mentioned few weeks, I have a friend who said the same thing, just few weeks and you will have your work authorization.
almost everyone else in this forum and some other immigration forum, they talk about at lease 6 months before TN expired.
so now I'm kidding with you, do you mean few weeks (20 weeks) ?

Thanks.

EAD/AP based on a recently submitted I-485 can take as little as 6 weeks. In the past it was much longer.

The 6 months is to give you a marging for error, as Requests for further info often come on EAD or AP.

Since letting your TN expire would probably cost you your job, giving yourself more than the minimum time is justifiable, no?

I gave myself 4 months until my TN expired and I just barely got my EAD in time, a couple of weeks before it expired. RFE screwed up the timeline for me

I send in my AOS in Aug and got my EAD and AP in early Sept, I think it was 3 weeks for the EAD and 4 weeks for the AP. It just depends really, this of course was a few years ago, so maybe things have slowed down a bit now. Just depends.

I got my new TN in June, then got married in July. That way I had a full year on my TN if I needed it. Luckily I didn't need it as my EAD and AP came very quickly. I might be out of the norm, but from my initial AOS to Citizenship everything went by extreamly fast for me and no problems. So hearing from a lot of people, that doesn't seem to be a lot of peoples experience at all. So who knows, it might depend on the information you send in with all your interviews and documents etc.

I flooded them with proof of the marriage all the way up to my final USC interview, so they had no doubt of the validity. That might have helped my case speed up and be so fast. Who knows...