TN -GC , starting process

uzairus39

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Its quite encouraging that people are getting GC from TN, congrats to bigboy00(latest example) , I got my TN status on 04/02/2007, that is only a month before, according to info. in the forum the process is as follows:

TN -> PERM -> I-140 -> I-485+EAD+AP -> GC -> US Citizen

My question is when to start/apply for PERM as my TN is valid till April 1st , 2008? so is that ok to go for PERM now...kindly guide as I am newbie to this forum and have lot of questions :)

thanks you ..in advance

Hi,

Its quite encouraging that people are getting GC from TN, congrats to bigboy00(latest example) , I got my TN status on 04/02/2007, that is only a month before, according to info. in the forum the process is as follows:

TN -> PERM -> I-140 -> I-485+EAD+AP -> GC -> US Citizen

My question is when to start/apply for PERM as my TN is valid till April 1st , 2008? so is that ok to go for PERM now...kindly guide as I am newbie to this forum and have lot of questions :)

thanks you ..in advance

Start the PERM soon. If you start the process now, you will be able to file it for PERM (with the DOL) around July/Aug 2007..

I am also new here in the US. I got my TN on May 21. The company would like to start the GC process. Does PERM filing require the blessings of an attorney or can it be done by the HR representative of the company.

I recently got my GC after being on TN for many years. I started the process last year, and it took me about a year. If your employer is willing to sponsor you, I would start the PERM process as soon as possible. You don't have to worry about timing until you are ready to file I485. For me, I had about 5 months left on my TN when I filed I140/I485. It gave me plenty of time to get an EAD. Luckily, my case was approved rather quickly. Good Luck.

BTW, I would like to thank members of this forum for helping me navigate through the US immigration system for the past few years.

TN to I-130 to GC

I am going to Petition for my unmarried daughter (I-130 Family Based Petition for Alien Relative. I will do this after my daugher receives her TN status and in is in the US. How long should I wait, and after her visa number becomes available, what are the next steps I need to take. Thank you for any assistance.
:)

Working on TN while a beneficiary of an I-130 can be problematic.

stinko, are you a US citizen?

If not, Since there is no likelihood of this I-130 ever leading to a Green Card anytime soon, you might just wait until you become a US citizen, then apply.

For those people who went from TN directly to GC, it seems the GC process did not take long. I am wondering if it is because they were born in Canada. I am a Canadian citizen on TN status in US and I want to apply for GC in the near future. However, I am worried that it may take me a LONG time since I was born in mainland China and was naturalized to be a Canadian citizen in 1999. Am I considered a Canadian applicant or a mainland Chinese applicant?

Part B of my question, my mother is actually in the process of getting her GC. If all goes well, she should have it by the end of this year or early next year. Should I apply for GC through the family category? Would that be any quicker than through employment? I am over 21 and married. Is it a good idea to apply for GC through both family and employment category at the same time? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

It will be faster as an employment based applicant. but, in either case, you are considered Chinese, and thius face extended approval period.

It will also depend on which employment based category you are qualified for. EB2 is a lot faster than EB3. Regardless, like what nelsona said, people born in mainland China will have a longer wait than most people.

I only have a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and I am working as a software developer. I am therefore in the EB3 category. Does this mean I will have to wait for several years for sure? What's the minimum number of years for me to get a GC? Will my Canadian citizenship help me at all in this case?

Hi you all.
I've been reading a lot lately about all you guys trying to get the GC and also curiousGeorge "I'm not looking, I got my GC" post. now i have a few questions.
but first let me introduce you my situation/case:
I'm a Mexican 28y/o under TN curently in Orlando, FL. This will expire on April 2009 (7 months left)
before the TN I had a Q1 Visa (1 year) and a J1 Visa (18 months)
I'm curently working for an Rental Company but I'm trying to get a better job (which leads me to the predicament, should i go for the GC now? or should i wait until i get the new job, which it is not even on queue)
i also notice the 1st step to take is to file for PERM... can i do all this on my own? do i have to go through a lawyer?
As we all know a lawyer can be expensive. and I cannot afford one.
please let me know. your advice will be much appreciated.
Regards,
Fernando

For those people who went from TN directly to GC, it seems the GC process did not take long. I am wondering if it is because they were born in Canada. I am a Canadian citizen on TN status in US and I want to apply for GC in the near future. However, I am worried that it may take me a LONG time since I was born in mainland China and was naturalized to be a Canadian citizen in 1999. Am I considered a Canadian applicant or a mainland Chinese applicant?

Part B of my question, my mother is actually in the process of getting her GC. If all goes well, she should have it by the end of this year or early next year. Should I apply for GC through the family category? Would that be any quicker than through employment? I am over 21 and married. Is it a good idea to apply for GC through both family and employment category at the same time? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Super, have you started the process yet? We should chat, send me a private message if you can. We are in very similar situation.

My attorney does NOT recommend going from TN directly to GC, he asked me to apply for the H1B lotto next April and then apply based on EB3. I am just worried that by the time I finally won the H1B lotto, my company will change their mind about sponsoring my GC.

I hope if the new TN 3 year status rule becomes reality, this may perhaps make it easier to go directly from TN to GC.

Returning back to posting messages after a long time. Got my TN approved for 3 years. Phew !!!

I got my PERM also approved today. I am lost on what are the next steps. Can I apply for Premium I - 140 and concurrent processing for I - 140 and I 485. How long does it take to get the advance parole and EAD. I donot want to be stuck in US and unable to travel back to Canada

Thanks

Returning back to posting messages after a long time. Got my TN approved for 3 years. Phew !!!

I got my PERM also approved today. I am lost on what are the next steps. Can I apply for Premium I - 140 and concurrent processing for I - 140 and I 485. How long does it take to get the advance parole and EAD. I donot want to be stuck in US and unable to travel back to Canada

Thanks

You can apply for concurrent processing (140 and 485) only if your priority date is current, is yours current?

AP and EAD time is about 2 to 3 months max..

... and I believee that Premium I-140 is currently unavailable in most categories.

And you don't need to file premium for I-140 to file I-485 concurrently.

But as big just pointed out, unles you are Eb2, you won't be allowed to file I-485 until your priority date is current, which given you just filed PERM, would be a few years from now. I hope you are Eb2.

unles you are Eb2, you won't be allowed to file I-485 until your priority date is current, which given you just filed PERM, would be a few years from now. I hope you are Eb2.

I thought your PD has to be current for you to be eligible for concurrent filing (since you apply for I-485 along with the I-140) regardless of your EB category. Do you mean EB2 people (only) can do that even if their PD is not current?