TN for Economist

minjbaatar

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I have a complicated question. My degree is Business, but i was majoring in Economics and Mathematics (almost 60% of all courses where in Economics). If I were to get a job as Financial Analyst (mostly economic research, finance research and analysis).

Q#1: will my degree create a problem when i apply under Economist?
Q#2: does Financial Analyst position qualify under Economist?
Q#3: if my visa is denied for TN status am I allowed to enter to USA with different visa (i am already living in USA with F2 visa).

Thanks in advance

First of all the job title has to match - period. So it would have to say economist. Bu now let's get subjective - so does an economist have an economics degree?
Or could an economist have a Business degree with a major in economics - which is probably what your question really is.

Financial Analyst - nope. But how about and economist whose function is to perform financial analysis on widgets?

You might want to look up the TNvisaexpert kit to see if they have anything that might be of help.

I caution you that if you try to push the job title Financial Analyst and it doesn't match what the TN list says, you will get most likely get turned away.

Your transcripts will also provide good proof for the economics issue.

You will basically need to make a case for yourself.

And remember - not trying is worse than trying and failing but understanding why you failed (but we don't want to think like that do we?)

I know one guy applying for financial analyst position got denied even though he has a master degree in finance.

Case closed.

The job description has to fit the title on the TN list. Don't mess with it. Look at the list and make sure the functions and degree can fit the title.

Being reasonable and having a well and correctly worded offer letter will also be the key. You can't be a rocket scientist with a history degree making $ 25,000 a year.

Thank you for your replies.

Does anyone in this has Economics degree and trying to find a job in USA? or already found it and working on TN status. Or working as Research Assistant under TN.

Minj

were you sleeping for a month?

LOL!!!!......:D...

seriously, I have an econ degree, and my TN specific letters always bring me in as an economist...that being said, your actual title within the company may be different to reflect the internal org structure.

That, my friend, is why we use lawyers...(and get the company to pay foot the lawyers tab :p)

Nelsona...yeah...I was so busy attending bunch of interviews and getting offers :eek: ... which none of them qualifies for TN status :mad:

TNDV2008...lawyers huh? I seriously need a major help with this. It really sucks when I have the offer I can't have the TN status. I need someone to guide me exactly what I should be looking for. I thought Analyst will do, but according to simsd I can't apply under economics, no matter how much econ analysis I will be doing. Can I e-mail you?

minjbataar,

You're putting the cart before the horse. Why are you out interviewing? You're only going to get "lunch bag letdown" (old Glad bag commercial from the 70's).

First - STOP interviewing. You're just wasting everyone's time including your own.

Second - start looking on the list of acceptable professions.

Third - start thinking about how your degree relates to the job.

Fourth - We're trying to give you hints about how to craft the letter but you're not gettin' it.

Fifth - I never said you couldn't apply under Economist. Go back and read my post. You seem to be hung up on putting down any job title other than the ones we tell you. Sit down and look at the job functions and then craft the letter from there.

Look at this description.

http://www.grasmick.com/dot.htm#Economist

We are not telling you to do anything wrong. We are telling you to expand your thinking.

simsd,

I appreciate your response. Like you said...I am not really getting it.
Please correct me if I am wrong!!!

1. I started applying for Economist jobs, but I wasn't very successful. So closest I can think of was Financial Analyst (I have a great amount of experience in that). So I have the offer now.
2. Fourth - We're trying to give you hints about how to craft the letter but you're not gettin' it. I will be a crafting a letter? The investment bank that I just got an offer from will never let me "craft my own letter". OR does it mean that I should have 2 letters...first one is with the offer (including the job description) and second one is the one that I explained how my Economics degree is related to Financial Analyst position? If this is correct...should the second one has to be signed by the employer?

I apologize if I am somehow upsetting you guys by not being able to understand your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, don't even bother having an interview until you have approached the immigration subject with the employer. Again you're wasting their time and just letting yourself down.

During your initial conversation, you need to say something like "Hey I am extremely interested in the position you have, but can we talk about the immigration issue first? I don't want us to go through a lot of interviews only to find out that we can't even move past this part of it".

Feel them out and see what they say. If they balk then move on. If they say, "HR handles all of that" then you might say "Okay lets talk some more, if you think there might be a fit, then let's talk to HR next to make sure it's even doable".

Most employers are going to say they really don't know much about immigration. Chances are the HR department only knows about the H1B if they know anything at all.

Next - if the talks start to go somewhere, then you need to explain about the little known TN status (might as well us the word visa - I know nelsona it's not a visa, not a visa :) ). Explain to them that you could probably get in under the "Economist" category and that you'll provide them with a sample offer letter. Many of us on this forum have had to educate not only our employers about the TN, but also the company's lawyers as well.

You may even want to show them a sample letter during the first interview. If that passes muster then you can continue on - if not then you're wasting your time.

The appraoch simsd outlines is not the ideal one (since it is usually best not to mention immig at all during a 1st interview) but, in your case, since you clearly are not applying for a job that matches your education (in TN terms), immig is the smelly 600-lb gorilla in the seat next to you during the interview, best introduce it to your potential sponsor.

TNDV2008...lawyers huh? I seriously need a major help with this. It really sucks when I have the offer I can't have the TN status. I need someone to guide me exactly what I should be looking for. I thought Analyst will do, but according to simsd I can't apply under economics, no matter how much econ analysis I will be doing. Can I e-mail you?

Since this is your first TN, u will most likely get your initial TN @ POE. I suggest u use a headhunter. These guys will screen suitable positions where the companies are ok with getting "foreign" workers. Also, make sure that the terms of employment allow TN, usually established during the phone interviews.

Once the TN hurdle is acknowledged, and a process of addressing it is understood (and u are the "desired" candidate") then it will all fall into place.

Dont keep banging your head on the wall when the HR (and their immigration lawyer) can do all the work.

FWIW, my TN specific letter has a different job title as compared to my actual offer letter...I did not even participate in the drafting of either letters.;)

I suspect this is the case with 90% of all TN'ers

Okey...Sounds good!! I have more interviews lined up next week. Some are initial phone interviews and one is the second interview. I will mention about my situation...I think that is the best think to do.

ohhh...this is way more difficult than I initially thought...maybe I should look for a company that has an experience hiring Canadians...

Thanks
Minj

TNDV2008, thanks...I didn't realize that employer's lawyers handle this for us. I thought I would have to pay for the lawyer from my pocket.

is there some sort of list of companies that hire foreigners on this forum? or elsewhere? I was searching it here but couldn't find anything

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate for all your comments....

nelsona,

I don't have time to waste during an interview so I like to blast through all this crap in the beginning as I have been around the block many times. All the positions I have had (5 total) I got on the first interview.

I agree with you on the 600 Lb Gorilla part, but now we're talking about interview styles and techniques.

TNDV2008

I think you're making a lot of assumptions. I have never once used or had the offer from a company with respect to the use of a lawyer. And in this tight economy and job market the employer is going to go with the path of least resistance. It's a luxury that many cannot afford aor are willing to pay. Whatever minjbaatar can do to make it easier is going to play in his/her favour.

Minjbaatar,

Are you working right now or is this your first set of interviews out of school?

TNDV2008

I think you're making a lot of assumptions. I have never once used or had the offer from a company with respect to the use of a lawyer. And in this tight economy and job market the employer is going to go with the path of least resistance. It's a luxury that many cannot afford aor are willing to pay. Whatever minjbaatar can do to make it easier is going to play in his/her favour.

I know I am assuming a lot, but with the right business/negotiation/technical skills, u can pretty much manouver your way around all these qualms.

Hey, I was able to double my salary (even after being laidoff), get full relocation, and lawyer-time to draft the TN documents...just because I did not want to go to Canada to get my new TN...so yes, play your cards well, and even if the econ sucks, there are ways...trust me.:cool:

TNDV2008

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not so sure our friend has those skills quite yet. I just caught something from their first post and that is the fact that he/she is an F-2 dependent. That would lead me to believe that they are still somewhat green in the working world.

Look at how much of the basics we're having to spell out - and I'm not talking about visa related stuff.

I would hate to see them miss a good opportunity because of negotiating on a letter.