TN and (US) Tax Rebates

marwan

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

My friends and I have been asking this question so I thought of posting it instead.

Do you think we will be entitled to the rebates? How about the married/joint filing with a spouse with no SSN? and a child with no SSN?

Hey guys,

My friends and I have been asking this question so I thought of posting it instead.

Do you think we will be entitled to the rebates? How about the married/joint filing with a spouse with no SSN? and a child with no SSN?

To get the tax rebate money, your immigration status does not matter as long as you are a legal tax payer. (FYI: Joint Filing requires your spouse to have either a SSN or a ITIN.)

bigboy is correct. Some of us went thru this back in 2002.

If you don't for some reason get the rebate, and you are otherwise entitled, because, say, you filed a 1040NR instead of 1040, or didn't file at all, you will probably be able to claim it on your 2008 1040.

bigboy is correct. Some of us went thru this back in 2002.

If you don't for some reason get the rebate, and you are otherwise entitled, because, say, you filed a 1040NR instead of 1040, or didn't file at all, you will probably be able to claim it on your 2008 1040.

I was told by IRS customer service that I should use 1040NR. Is that right or I can use 1040 also

This is not a tax forum. All I was saying is, if for some reason you do not get the checks, don't sweat it, you will get the credit on your 2008 tax return. --- just like in 2002.

To get the tax rebate money, your immigration status does not matter as long as you are a legal tax payer. (FYI: Joint Filing requires your spouse to have either a SSN or a ITIN.)

Not according IRS though. Unfair:mad:

Q. I file using an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Can I still get a stimulus payment?

A: No. The law does not allow stimulus payments to people who file a return using an ITIN. A taxpayer must have a valid Social Security Number to qualify for the stimulus payment. If married filing jointly, both taxpayers must have a valid Social Security Number. And children must have valid Social Security Numbers to be eligible as qualifying children.

Q. I have an ITIN, but my spouse has a valid Social Security number. Can we get a payment?

A. If you and your spouse file a joint return, you will not get a stimulus payment. If your spouse files a separate return, your spouse may qualify for a payment, based on his or her income deductions and credits.

Q. If I have a valid Social Security Number and my child has an ITIN, do I get extra money for the child?

A. No. To qualify for the extra credit for qualifying children, not only do the taxpayer and spouse, if filing jointly, need valid Social Security Numbers, but the qualifying child must also have a valid Social Security Number.:eek:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179181,00.html

This was all hashed out in 2002.

If you don't get the check this spring, for whatever reason, you will get it on your 2008 tax return.