TN and Dual Citizenship

Udupi

Registered Users (C)
Dear TNs'

I am Canadian Citizen and from Indian Origin, working in USA on TN Visa status.

I am planning to get Overseas Citizenship of India, it is known as Dual Citizenship of India, We will get Indian Passport, and Visa Stamping "Lifelong Visa" in Canadian Passport. Does any Canadian Citizen applied for OCI? By getting OCI Status be any problem to get NEW TN in future?

any suggestions appreciated.

Swathi

Overseas citizenship of India is NOT dual citizenship; you don't get an Indian passport and your current Indian passport is canceled. You continue to be a Canadian citizen with a lifelong visa to travel to India.

Even if it were citizenship, it would do nothing to your Cdn citizenship, and would still allow you (assuming you continue meet all other criteria) to get TN.

Overseas citizenship of India is NOT dual citizenship; you don't get an Indian passport and your current Indian passport is canceled. You continue to be a Canadian citizen with a lifelong visa to travel to India.

Yes, India like Germany and Peru are one of several nations that do not reconize dual citizenship. You are either an Indian Citizen or you are not. To be one, you cannot be a citizen of another nation. Many people find this out when trying to get US citizenship and realize they need to renounce their Indian citizenship.

This is different from many other countries like England, Canada, Australia etc that will not require their citizens to give up citizenship when taking on another nations citizen (basically they state you will always be a citizen of that country regardless)...

Many people find this out when trying to get US citizenship and realize they need to renounce their Indian citizenship.
Off topic, but I think you mean that they find that their Indian citizenship is revoked -- by India -- not renounced by the individual. The US does not require any citizenships to be renounced or revoked. Nor does canada, by the way.