TN-1 extension

taayi10

I am planning to go to POE for extension 1 month before my previous TN expiry date. Worst case if the extension is denied can I still come back to US on my original TN to settle things or the officer will deny that?

there is a possibility they will approve TN if the package is solid. If you can, maybe try to bring in the trip time to POE <3 weeks before expiration

Thank you Hello Mister for the reply. I will try to go to POE closer to the expiration. I got my first TN in 2012 and I changed employer in 2014 and got new TN. Now my current employer wants me for 3 more years. I am worried as I read in this forum that too many TN requests will cause problem with poe officers. So I am preparing for both outcomes. I have solid package. I have masters in computer science and have 5 years experience. But still you never know the mood of the officers at poe. So I am wondering worst case can I still come back to USA until my current TN expires or will they cancel that too.

Yes, to answer your original question, which was not covered, if you are merely denied a new TN due to some deficiency in your petition (something missing). However, if you are "personally" denied entry for some reason such as legal trouble etc,, OR they find that you are not really qualified for the TN you are requesting (which they could then call into question your current TN) you will be allowed to continue using your current TN. This would be rare given that your previous TNs were based on your degree and the job description and were successful.

Bringing up the fact that you have a masters and 5 years experience means nothing. You are not interviewing for the job at the border. The company has already done that process. You are simply presenting your degree and the company is presenting the job description.

What about the concern by the original poster about "I am worried as I read in this forum that too many TN requests will cause problem with poe officers." Or do you think 4/5 years on TN is not a reason to think another TN will be denied at all?

What about it? some on this board have been on TN for over a decade. In fact, the longer you are on TN, the clearer it becomes that you are NOT going to immigrate (ie get a GC).

So glad I found this forum. Thank you for all the replies. Can somebody who applied for extension with the same employer help me whether the letter should be drafted as "request for extension for 3 more years" or don't include word "extension" or Can I submit the similar letter as the previous one?

For a border petition there is no need to refer to an extension. You are requesting "3 year TN" is sufficient. They will see that you have a current TN with your current sponsor.
For a mail-in I-129, you would tick the extension box on the form, but again, there would be little need to mention "extension" in the letter, since theform already requests it.
In other words, the letter for a mail-in of border TN can and should be the same, for either a renewal or fresh TN.