Tired of slave wages?

SuperStar

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Once you start the GC process, you have become bonded labour on this
poor part of the world. Any thoughts on this issue.
No consulting company gives raise as soon as you start the GC processing.

No Title

That\'s not true. It depends on your negotiating skill\'s. I just got 16% rise after working for an year. My 485 has been mailed to INS last month.
Good Luck negotiating!

No Title

I am working for a consulting company too, I got 41% raise over three years during my GC process. It is illegal to take advantage of you during this process. Negotiate with your employer first, if they don\'t give in, talk to your lawyer or contact a senator for this issue.

No Title

No one can deny, there are lot of sweat shops out there. My
friends work for such a sweat shop and I don\'t have enough
bad words to tell how bad they are. Its luck, once you are trapped
with such guys then its really frustrating....

No Title

There are obviously all sorts of people and companies. But most desi companies tend to be mean (I know friends and cousin who work for such companies). I did work for a desi company and didn\'t stay there long enough to expect a raise (he couldn\'t find a client for me and I had look on my own; soon I switched to a different company), but he was such a nice person to deal with.

I work for a American company and they are a nice bunch except for my Account Manager. I did get 25% raise in the last 3 years (once due to the client pressure, right after I got a raise 6 months ago). I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Good luck to you all.

No Title

It depends how much ur company need, and how much client is interested in you skills. and luck

I got about 60% since I file my GC. First year of filing GC, got raise 3 times. (1. Switching the client, 2. I talked to client he gave me raise so did my company. 3. Annual raise. Client sent my company very strong review and a letter of strong recommendation)

No Title

There are plpenty of honest companies which treat their employees fairly - regardless of the GC application - so dont make sweeping statements like \'you are stuck with no raise once you apply for GC \' etc. I know there are companies which mistreat their employess also,
but I believe these are in minority.

(On this board a while back I saw someone post with the opposite concern - his salary had gone to 175K (lucky guy or very good guy) - nearly tripled - in 4 years - the salary he put on his labor and he was worried about INS raising questions)

No Title

Folks,
Since i filed for labor my salary has increaed by 40K since what was in my labor certification. My title has also gone from sr engr to director. I received an RFE today asking for an updated employment letter. My lawyer says that i should mention the same title that it was in labor certification. This does not make sense. I thought if your title and salary are going in the upward direction is good.

This is my lawyers quote:

The position should be the same as what we put it your labor certification application. It does not matter if you are earning more, but the title should be Senior Software Engineer.

Does this make sense. I dont want to end up getting second RFE.

No Title

I strongly feel the lawyer is right and I suggest you do the same because I have heard cases where INS asked for I140 amendment within the same company for major position change. In order to not avoid falling under the same situation, I feel there\'s no harm in providing the same position as I140 on the employment letter.

It may seems INS is punishing for securing higher position but looking at their way, they have to make the records straight (i.e; I140 corresponding to the GC Petition).

Just my 2 cents.

Bhanu

No Title

I have said this many times before. Here is it again:
- GC is for a future job. Company who applied for GC has specified on the labor certification that we have this position open and here is the candidate who is ready to fill in that position. All INS wants is that, you are currently (before GC) is not in governament charge(in other words begging on the streets) and your GC sponsoring company still has interest in hiring you for the position mentioned in your labor.
- So, If you are currently working for the same GC employer, then they have to state two things, first is that you currently have so and so job and earning so much (this has nothing to do with position mentioned on labor) and they still have so and so job (same as mentioned on labor) open to be filled and they are still interested in hiring you as they said on labor, 140 etc. If you are currently working for someone other than GC employer, then one letter from other employer should mention your current job and salary etc., (to show you are having a job currently to support yourself) and second letter from your sponsoring employer that they are still having the job (specified on labor cert) open and they are interested in hiring you for that position and are willing to pay atleast whatever mentioned on labor cert.

Now you analyaze whatever your lawyer said is right or not. I think he is right. When you are talking to INS regarding 485, your are talking about the job specified on labor (which is the reason you are getting GC). Any other position that company specifies for continued employement purpose will invalidate the foundation on which your 485 is sitting (which is labor certification). Just my opinion.

No Title

May be getting salary reviews in a higher percentage happened to you guys. I feel happy for your guys, I work for a well known company based in pittsburgh with branches all over the country. a lot of Indians work too for this company, its been 4 years since I joined this company and they have given me not more than 20% raise, 5% a year. There are lot of guys silently suffering just because of the reason we have filled our G.C thru this company. Thought I am getting a very high billing rate from my client, I am not even getting 40% of my billing rate as my salary. We have to put up with all these pi...
until we get our G.C.

No Title

I also work for a pittsburgh company from past 5 Years (may be we work for the same company) and got pretty decent raise from the past 5 Years(nearly doubled). I am getting around 65% of my billing rate which is not bad. I know it is frustrating to see other people getting 100% of their billing rate. I think we have to be content with what we make and plan for the bright future after the GC.

No Title

This is not true in most cases. Mine more than doubled from the time I filed in Aug 96 to date(yes still waiting for GC). It depends on companies. Mostly, small immigrant owned companies are known to have taken advantage of this in early and mid 90\'s but very few lately due to the great boom in tech jobs. In fact, in most companies the managers who give pay hike don\'t even know about the immigration status we are in like in my case.

No Title

I think most companies do not mind giving a raise upto a certain limit. Once you hit that ceiling and if you are in the middle of the GC process, then it is extremely difficult to get a raise (especially if you are already getting a high salary like low 100s...) even if your employer is billing very good rates! I am exactly in this situation, if I was not in the middle of the GC process, I know would have been able to negotiate better, since the client is willing to pay those rates for me (I have been with the same client with the same high rates for 2+ years now...).

Do any of you feel that you also have hit a glass ceiling?

No Title

Salary 75000
Been with the company for 4 years, filed my G.C, over 7 years of experience

No Title

I don\'t think the number of companies that are taking advantage of their employee during their GC process are small! I am also a victim of such ugly company. One of the trick that they played is they agree to pay your legal fee by deduction from your payroll, sounds good, right? since you can save some tax. However, this deduction became endless and is much more than the normal legal fee expense and it is still going on. Can you believe you need a pay $10,000 to get your GC?
I feel very uncomfortable of being cheated and when I argue with the pig, he just became crazy. Basically, these ugly pigs just want to take your money, legal fee is just an excuse.

manoj