Times of India Gives incorrect Info.

sdrblr

Registered Users (C)
I believe this is misquoted in today's TOI(web edition)

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/articleshow/447545.cms

They say..

"This means that U.S embassies and consulates across the world will not be able to issue H-1B visas after February or March, by which time the full quota would have been reached, till the new fiscal year 2005 begins in October 2004"

Please do not read this and get confused. US Consultates and Embassy has nothing to do with the 65K quota. They only can issue visa based on the approval. 65K quota is BCIS's headache.

Please let me know if I interpreted this article incorrect.

Originally posted by jaxen
You are right. Sensationalism is a bane of these correspondents.

Right on target. U should have seen the head lines in last Q of 03. US is reducing the H-1 nos., .... US retaliates's against outsourcing, etc. etc., when the H-1 cap was brought back to pre "Clinton temporary increase".

:rolleyes:

H1 Cap has not been reduced . Increase made by clinton was for limited period and now it has come back to its previous quota. All other bills to abolish H1 etc were either rejected by house or still pending. Anyway, i guess current H1 visa holders wont get effected.

Originally posted by orazone
H1 Cap has not been reduced . Increase made by clinton was for limited period and now it has come back to its previous quota. All other bills to abolish H1 etc were either rejected by house or still pending. Anyway, i guess current H1 visa holders wont get effected.

Precisely my point in the above post ...

I'm guessing this means that there are more than 65K approvals processed by BCIS but only 65K visa's issued from India or for India as a whole. The rest are either visa's rejected on they wait for the next period in October to apply.

Is that correct?

No you are wrong....

BCIS will not process any more appln if 65K limit is done.

As i told before .... US Consultates and Embassy has nothing to do with the 65K quota. They only can issue visa based on the valid approval (no matter when they were approved). 65K quota is BCIS's headache.

Originally posted by bhartiya_12
I'm guessing this means that there are more than 65K approvals processed by BCIS but only 65K visa's issued from India or for India as a whole. The rest are either visa's rejected on they wait for the next period in October to apply.

Is that correct?

If you have a valid visa approval the consulate will entertain your application irrespective of what's happening in BCIS.

My new employer has applied for my H1 with premium processing and says it should come anyday. I already had a previous H1 which expired on 15th and this new employer stupidly forgot to apply for an extension before 15th even though he had evrything from me. Just forgot he says.

I am still in Us(expired I-94) and waiting to fly to India as soon as I receive my approval to get my stamping done in delhi.

2 questions.

1. Could this cause problems in my new approval from BCIS and will they know that this is the 2nd H1 I am getting?

2. does that GENERALLY mean that if I get an approval from BCIS I should get the visa when I apply in delhi even if I am staying back for a few days as out of status in US and waiting for the new H1 to come thru?

Originally posted by bhartiya_12

2. does that GENERALLY mean that if I get an approval from BCIS I should get the visa when I apply in delhi even if I am staying back for a few days as out of status in US and waiting for the new H1 to come thru?

There's guarantee. The H1 approval does not automatically induce the consulate to give the visa.