Timeframe to move belongings to USA after immigrant Visa approval

nm1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My mother just got her immigrant VISA approved through consular processing (category=IR5). It expires in October 2019. I realize that she must travel to the United States before the expiration, but wasn't sure if there is a timeframe that she must move her belongings by. Those will likely arrive much later (likely by sea); and we weren't sure about any rules around how long she has to get these over here and not be charged any Duty, etc.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Not a problem, many people do similar. We did our permanent move a fair while after activation, also moved ours by sea plus they hit shipping delays at transit ports in Asia and backlogs from port strikes in Oakland so only ended up arriving (clearing customs) something like 15 months after we got our green cards!! No duty etc problems . The main caveat we were told is don’t put any alcohol in the container as they tend to open and inspect then.

Hi,
My mother just got her immigrant VISA approved through consular processing (category=IR5). It expires in October 2019. I realize that she must travel to the United States before the expiration, but wasn't sure if there is a timeframe that she must move her belongings by. Those will likely arrive much later (likely by sea); and we weren't sure about any rules around how long she has to get these over here and not be charged any Duty, etc.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Hi

Congratulations on the approval of your mothers immigrant visa. How much time did it take between getting the note from NVC that all the paperwork from your side is complete to getting an interview date?

Thanks

Hi

Congratulations on the approval of your mothers immigrant visa. How much time did it take between getting the note from NVC that all the paperwork from your side is complete to getting an interview date?

Thanks

I notice you asking this on a number of threads, the time it takes is very consulate specific, it can take a few weeks at one and a few months at another. It also varies over time, so what was true for one person a year ago may not be true for another now even at the same consulate. Suggest you search online to see if there is a forum local to your consulate, if there is you are likely to get much better information with respect to recent experiences.

I notice you asking this on a number of threads, the time it takes is very consulate specific, it can take a few weeks at one and a few months at another. It also varies over time, so what was true for one person a year ago may not be true for another now even at the same consulate. Suggest you search online to see if there is a forum local to your consulate, if there is you are likely to get much better information with respect to recent experiences.
Thank you. I totally understand that it varies. The threads where I asked are all from India and it appears there is only one consulate (Mumbai) that does consular processing for IR5 (parent immigrant visa).
I was hoping to get a sense for the wait time to get the interview date. Some of these cases looked pretty recent.
Sincerely appreciate the response.

Thank you

I too noticed multiple postings by this member.
Mumbai is (very) backlogged due to the huge (understatement) volume of Indian national relatives having being sponsored. Wait times have only increased over time. I suppose the best scenario is to wait until the Consulate makes contact. I mean the consulate will contact eventually.

I too noticed multiple postings by this member.
Mumbai is (very) backlogged due to the huge (understatement) volume of Indian national relatives having being sponsored. Wait times have only increased over time. I suppose the best scenario is to wait until the Consulate makes contact. I mean the consulate will contact eventually.
Thank you. It's useful to know that Mumbai is backlogged. Appreciate the response very much.