Time to renew TN: Is it better to send I-129 via mail or go to customs

projectpete19

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I currently have a TN visa, it expires June 29 so I need to renew it and this is my first time renewing it. Is the process different from when I went to get my TN the first time or is it the exact same process. Is it better to send the form in the mail or go to the border and talk to the agent there?

Also I seem to have misplaced my passport that had my current visa, do they need to see my previous visa or that doesnt matter?

If your TN was straightforward, and you plan to be going to canada in mid-jun, then I would opt for border processing, which is identiacl to what you did last year. All that changes is the letter (make current). You generally can't get a new TN for the same job until 2-3 weeks before expiry.

If you aren't planning to travel at that time, OR if there was problems with your TN last year, then opt for I-129. It does take some time so send in soon. You do get 240 days grace after expiry as long as you send it in before expiry.

Your passport is another issue. You do need a copy of your I-94 to submit with I-129. You also need to ALWAYS have your I-94 accessible: it's your permission to be in US leaglly. I would be hunting for my PP right now, and then put it in a secure spot.

Last year I mailed a TN application in April. It was approved in October.

USCIS just got 65k H1B’s and I suspect they will process most of them before they look at your file.

Either way to get your new TN status. Many people have a fear of the in person border experience and opt to getting their new TN through the mail compared to the border. If you don't care, or had as mentioned a straight forward case, it would be the quickest if you have access to a border.

Either way, it mainly just comes down to a time/effort thing. New TN at the border, is less time to actually get the new TN, but more effort as you have to physcially go there. The mail in, takes a lot longer, but you just fill out a form and send some info and don't really have to do much.

Either way has its benefits and cons.

By Visa are you talking about an entry permit or your TN? If it's your TN, then I think I used to submit a copy of my current TN when applying for the new one. Not sure if it's mandatory or not, but yeah, I'd be looking for that passport right now...

damn, yes i lost my passport but i have a color photocopy of both my visa and passport. so i guess i could apply for my passport and send in my photocopy of my visa? do they ask for your passport number when using the i-129 form?

Also it cost me $63 for my TN when i went in person, do you know the cost if I mail the I-129?

If you don’t intend to travel anytime soon or after your TN expires, just do the I-129 form for renewal. They wont need your original passport or I-94. simply send a black and white copy of it. If your passport expires renew it first. Canadian passport office expedites Passport renewals for Canadians in US. in I-129 you will need to write the passport number.

Instead of sending in a photocopy of a lost passport send a photocopy of your birth certificate or your citizenship card.

I’d apply for a new passport ASAP. PPC is taking forever.

Just as a reminder, even if you DID have your passport and i-94, you would NEVER send these to USCIS with I-129.

Copies only.

Good on you that you had made copies.

Fee for I-129 is currently $190.

i dont have a residence in canada, but i do have a house in the U.S. Has anyone had to renew their TN with these circumstances at the border? i know the customs agents are big on you have to have a house in canada, i know its not the law but thats what they think.

I wouldn't say the that officers "are big" on one having a CCDn home.

Some officers try to intimidate TNers by stating incorrect TN requirements (can only be part-time, employer has to prove that he can;t find US worker, need to live in canada -- all BS). But I have never heard of anyone being actually and finally denied TN on these false bases -- because they can't.

You will get your next TN -- guaranteed;)

thanks, the only problem i can now see is i dont have my original I-94 since I lost my passport with it in there, i do have a color photocopy of it and my wife and daughter still have their TD visa's with I-94's.

we are planning a trip to canada around the same time my current i-94/TN expires. is it okay if i tell them i lost it and apply for a new one or is that not allowed, do i have to apply for a replacement then go to the border and apply for an extension?

Your old I-94, whether origianl or copy is of no value in getting a new TN at the border (border TNs are always new TNs, not extensions).

The need for I-94 is while you are in US. Once you leave, including going to the border to get new TN, you don't need an I-94, copy or otherwise.

You would only need the copy if you were returning to US with several weeks left on TN, at which time you could show the copy as 'proof' of TN, and they would issue you a new card with the samer old expiry date (this wouyld not be considered a new TN, just a replacement I-94).

but if you are staying in US until TN expiry, and then going to the border to get new TN, you don't need an I-94 for that purpose. You do need an I-94 to be in US right now, and should be filing with USCIS for a replacement I-94 card with form I-102, just to be legal.

i dont have a residence in canada, but i do have a house in the U.S. Has anyone had to renew their TN with these circumstances at the border? i know the customs agents are big on you have to have a house in canada, i know its not the law but thats what they think.
Same story for me, nothing in Canada and a house in the U.S. for the last 7 years, NEVER EVER been an issue when doing a TN application at the border

Last edited by a moderator:
i am re-writing my application letter for the TN visa, i have to add the company i worked for on when i first applied for my TN. Now i am extending it and i am working for the same company. i assume i should put my 1 year work experience with my current employer (while on TN), does this cause a problem because TN is supposed to be temporary for one year?

There is no need to list anything about your prior year employment with the firm in the TN letter. it's unimportant.

the reason i ask is that you have to give your resume as well, wont they ask what you have been doing for the past year? and cant they say that I have a TN visa already?

Resume? There is never a need for a resume. If you are getting your TN based on degree, you send degree. If your are getting your TN based on diploma plus experience, you need LETTERS -- not a resume. So mothball the resume.

While gunt correctly suggests not putting anything about current employment, it is also fine to include the "based on changing requirements your services are required for another year" or words to that effect. After all it is an extension you are requesting. If it was a border TN, even this would not be needed.

sorry i should have clarified, i have chosen to go the border to renew my TN. on my original TN letter i put my work experience as a background. a brief summary of what i did for each job to show that i have experience (as well as letters from employers). so i should not list my past year?

will the customs agent not see i am missing the previous year as i am giving them letters with dates to prove my 3 years experience needed.

i am wondering has anyone that has renewed their TN at the border in person always not mentioned that they worked at the U.S. employer? were they not asked where they work previously?

Your TN letter can indicate the 3 years you need (if you need it) and the attached letters will suffice. Any more description in the letter is overkill.

There is no need that the three years experience be recent.

Again, the letter *can* state that "due to changing ..." bu tis not required to.

can they ask? Yes. Does it matter? No.

one last question (maybe) :) if i get denied at the buffalo border, can i go to the fort erie border (which is 30 mins away by car) a couple days later and apply again or once you are denied it goes in a database and no more chances?

Last edited by a moderator: