Time to get PIO card from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

imajum

Hi:

Would anyone have any idea regarding how long it is taking for the Indian Embassy in Washington DC to process PIO applications? We sent the PIO applications for my wife, myself, and our 4 1/2 month old daughter by Fedex overnight, which was received and signed by the receptionist at the Embassy on Thursday, July 5th.

We are planning on moving to India for good by the end of August, but we can't really complete all of the move-related activities, such as sell our household goods etc. before we get confirmation that the PIO application has been granted.

The folks at the embassy don't pick up the phone or are extremely rude. Also, we sent all original passports, both U.S. and previous indian passports, since we were instructed to do so by the embassy PIO officials.

I am a bit worried about that. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to worry on this account as well?

Also, I sent them a prepaid return label for Fedex priority overnight with a fedex return envelope. Would that be a good substitute instead of sending a cashier's check of $15 for Express mail?

Would really, really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

I'm a little confused! Why did you send your U.S. passports to them? For PIO you do NOT need to send your passports EVER - unlike OCI, there is NO visa sticker - only a card that is sent to you.

Also, why did you send your Indian passports? To get it cancelled? If not, then you were grossly misguided.

Hi:

Would anyone have any idea regarding how long it is taking for the Indian Embassy in Washington DC to process PIO applications? We sent the PIO applications for my wife, myself, and our 4 1/2 month old daughter by Fedex overnight, which was received and signed by the receptionist at the Embassy on Thursday, July 5th.

We are planning on moving to India for good by the end of August, but we can't really complete all of the move-related activities, such as sell our household goods etc. before we get confirmation that the PIO application has been granted.

The folks at the embassy don't pick up the phone or are extremely rude. Also, we sent all original passports, both U.S. and previous indian passports, since we were instructed to do so by the embassy PIO officials.

I am a bit worried about that. Can anyone tell me if there is any reason to worry on this account as well?

Also, I sent them a prepaid return label for Fedex priority overnight with a fedex return envelope. Would that be a good substitute instead of sending a cashier's check of $15 for Express mail?

Would really, really appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

PIO card will be redy in 10-12 days from the date they recieved the applications and they are Lazy and may not send in 15 days better go after 12-15 days and collect your passport and PIO cards I think they give after 4 or 4-30 PM.

Hi,

I have applied for my son's PIO card to the Washington, DC Embassy. The application says it takes 21 working days to process but I may have to travel to India pretty soon. I'd like to know if I can go to the embassy in person and collect the card earlier than the 21 days. If yes, then when and what is the procedure? Do I need to make an appointment by calling the helpdesk?

Would be grateful to anyone who can help in this regard.

Thanks,