Time for Citizenship

Desperate84

Asylum granted - May 2002
GC received - Dec 2004.
Question: When can I apply for my Citizenship? My understanding is that I have to wait 5 years to apply. I saw that some of you applied after 3 years and 4 months. Should I apply at the end of this year?
Can I go back to my COP after I become US citizen?
Please rspond ASAP.........I am desperate....Thanks.

If you are married to an American Citizen, you can apply for citizenship 2 years and nine months after you are married. If not, you can apply after 4 years and nine months after getting getting your green card.

GC received - Dec 2004.
Question: When can I apply for my Citizenship? My understanding is that I have to wait 5 years to apply. I saw that some of you applied after 3 years and 4 months. Should I apply at the end of this year?

4 years 9 months from THE DATE on your gc

It's pretty much 5 years from the date you've received your residency ( the date on you GC), but by the law, you can apply 90 days prior to this 5 year mark.

GC received - Dec 2004.

Yes you can apply USC on Sept 2008..

You were approved asylum in May 2002, how did you manage to get your GC in Dec 2004 ? Extraordinarily fast .

Yes you can apply USC on Sept 2008..

You were approved asylum in May 2002, how did you manage to get your GC in Dec 2004 ? Extraordinarily fast .

I do not understand why are you saying that I can apply in sept of 2008. Is supposed to be after 4 years and 9 months. so I guess I can apply on sept of 2009 and become USC 6 months later. It was not fast. Actually, I Have gotten my GC in 2005 with approval date Dec of 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not understand why are you saying that I can apply in sept of 2008. Is supposed to be after 4 years and 9 months. so I guess I can apply on sept of 2009 and become USC 6 months later. It was not fast. Actually, I Have gotten my GC in 2005 with approval date Dec of 2004.[/QUOTE

On top of this thread,your post said GC received 2004.You didn't say GC receieved 2005.Based on info you gave,we guesed if you received your GC in 2004,it might be backdated 2003.That's the reason why we said you're good for citizenship in 2008.