Thread Report

The post in question was deleted and the thread was closed. Thank you 'TheRealCanadian'.

Question

I did not feel the need for the thread to be closed. Any particular reason?

thanks

Members were questioning the intensions of the original poster and thought that this particular thread was not really serving the purpose of this forum. Hence it was closed. Any other recommendations, in such scenarios?

One recommendation - Free speach. The basic essence of this board is for people to express opinions. If something is contrary to the spirit of the board, there needs to be self moderation by individual members where people stop feeding the troll. In other words people stop posting to those threads and allow it to slip down into the archives. IMHO, the thread was harmless, and this was a case of aggressive moderation.

Actions such as closing a thread or even worse, deleting it, are very extreme and much thought needs to be expended before such a decision is taken. The only reasons I can think of for threads to be deleted are:
1. Personal attacks on someone.
2. Abuse or the use of profanity.

I have found that the moderator stepping in an asking people to chill out is more than enough to defuse the situation.

And as far as othe rmembers clamoring for the deletion of the thread, it is the job of the moderator to defend the minority as well as listen to the majority. Otherwise contrary opinions will never be heard.

But then these are just my 2 cents.

Check language used in the post:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=988795&postcount=51

140_takes_4ever said:
One recommendation - Free speach. The basic essence of this board is for people to express opinions. If something is contrary to the spirit of the board, there needs to be self moderation by individual members where people stop feeding the troll. In other words people stop posting to those threads and allow it to slip down into the archives. IMHO, the thread was harmless, and this was a case of aggressive moderation.

Actions such as closing a thread or even worse, deleting it, are very extreme and much thought needs to be expended before such a decision is taken. The only reasons I can think of for threads to be deleted are:
1. Personal attacks on someone.
2. Abuse or the use of profanity.

I have found that the moderator stepping in an asking people to chill out is more than enough to defuse the situation.

And as far as othe rmembers clamoring for the deletion of the thread, it is the job of the moderator to defend the minority as well as listen to the majority. Otherwise contrary opinions will never be heard.

But then these are just my 2 cents.

I am not looking to start a flame war on the moderator's forum. You asked for an opinion, I gave it. I think both closing and deleting a thread are pretty severe displays of muscle flexing and should be used wisely. I am sure you thought long and hard before making the decision, and kudos for that.

End of topic as far as I am concerned.

Thread reopened

I have reopened that thread after discussing with Rajiv. Please feel free to delete posts that contain abusive language. If a thread is not related to immigration, please move it to the "unrelated threads" area. Please check with us before closing threads .

Thanks all for your time

Monica